Options other than stock for Exhaust Manifold studs?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
I'm not finding much on the forums. At 225K when I removed my turbo, three studs came with the nuts. None are in what I'd call fantastic shape.

Comparing to the ID Parts replacements studs, I found an ARP stud set, part number 400-8014 at Summit for $89, that are 51mm long, M8x1.25 thread, 12pt nuts and washers. I've personally used a similar set on the turbo manifolds on my Corvette and they've done perfectly fine in a much more severe duty application.

Just curious if there's any other options as I'm probably not going to reuse the high mileage stock ones at this point.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Why not just replace with cheap OEM ones that idparts sells? They can be had for around $15 Your factory ones lasted 225K...

Put some copper anti-seize on them and you 'll have nothing to worry about

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Plus you know the sizes, find an industrial fastener supply in your area, you can have whatever grade you want. No need for high performance hardware.

xjfish

TDI
01 Golf
...new copper nuts is what I always do.
Old thread bump (sorry if this is frowned upon). Does anyone have a VW Part # off hand for the copper coated nuts? If I can't find locally (small VW dealer) I'm probably just going to rely on plenty of anti-seize... 8mmx1.25 IIRC.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Don't use the copper pinch nuts that all our vendors sell, those are what cause the studs to come out. They will bind up on removal and pull the stud right out of the head.

I prefer to use the original VW nuts .