Help with Decision!!!!

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh
Ok I put down 500 for my dealer to trade for my Golf GLS TDI lux, monsoon, cwp. He had a list of like 11 cars comming in and most of the dealers are now saying either get back to us when the cars hit port, or no we've already sold the car.

He called me yesterday and told me that what I said above about having trouble finding the car. He told me that VWoA told him 2k2's are now available for ordering and he is suggesting tha tI order a 2k2 Golf. I've asked him to find out all of the details and get back to me.

When he does what do you think I should do? There are lots of rummors about 2k2 have double the B2B warranty which is sounding good for me. Now I need to make a decision do I hold out for a 2k1 or do I order the 2k2.

HELP!?!?!

Christina

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
God, doesn't this sound familiar. Everyone promises they can get anything, but then when the deal goes down there's always a catch.

I may be missing some nuances, but -- why does this have to be an either/or proposition? I mean, if you say you're interested in a 2k2 does that mean the dealer will immediately give up trying to find a 2k1 to your liking?

Also...by the time the 2k2s are out, I would imagine that any warranty issues won't be rumors, but actual fact. I mean, they can't sell the car without having some kind of warranty plan in place, right? If you were going to buy the car with the current warranty, if nothing changes you'll be in the same boat. If you LIKE the warranty changes that are proposed/rumored, then you come out ahead.

If there is something special that a 2k1 that you love, then work for that -- but otherwise if time is on your side, why not wait?

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh
No the dealer has a couple of bites for a trade from other dealers. I have seen the list of cars, that's the only reason I gave him the 500 to hold one as soon as he could trade. Unfortunatly all of the cars he's trying to trade for are still on boat, and alot of dealers are saying wait till they are at port before we'll say yes or no.

If I order a 2k2, and I find out when they are supposed to start shipping, why would I wait for a 2k1 to come in?

I'm not where I need a car now. I have a car, a POS, but a car 86 Merc. Topaz.

I can wait till Sept / Oct if need be. But I need help deciding if the extra wait is necessary for double the warranty (if that's true).

I haven't done a face to face with my dealer in a couple of weeks now. I can't make it down today. But I think that I will be going down on monday to have a talk with him.

tdibugman

Veteran Member
It might be a bit of a ride for you but....
Shrewsbury Motors in Shrewsbury NJ (exit 109 off GSP) had three Golf GLS TDI's in stock as of this past Monday. Check there website: http://www.shrewsburymotors.com
They list there new car inventory; it is pretty accurate. If you're interested, e-amil me - I'll lt you know who to talk to.

Boris

Itjust makes me tired trying to strategize regarding possible changes from model year to model year...It can drive you crazy. First I was worried that VW was going to increase the horsepower in the TDI from 90-100; then I was concerned, as I thought an in-dash CD player would be standard in 2002 as I am having an in dash unit added to my 2001. (the in-dash CD player is not going to be added in 2002). Then I saw the changes to the warranty and I really can't decide if it is better in 2002 or just different from 2001?
Then I heard they were discontinuing Bright Green in 2002, and that is the only thing that I knew that I really cared about!! Jeez.

Personally if they find a car with the options that you want I would buy it and not be too concerned with the model year or possible changes to the warranty or other options.....But that's just me. I was picky about the color and options that I wanted and am glad to be getting the exact car that I want. I could have waited also, but now that my car is on the way, I can't wait to drive my TDI....
Good Luck, either way in a few months you will be driving your TDI!!

Christina

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I think having a face to face with your dealer is a good plan, landrumdh. I know that I have a tendency to work myself into a lather trying to make decisions when I don't have enough information to go on. Talking to him should help fill in some of those blanks about when 2k2s are arriving, warranty issues, what's going on with trading with other dealers, etc. etc.

landrumdh

Veteran Member
TDI
landrumdh
Hi checked out the place in NJ. From what the website says those cars don't meet what I want. I want a 2k1 Golf GLS TDI lux monsoon, cwp. Sorry but I must have all the goodies

As for if they did have it I don't car about that drive. We drove 4hrs to get my mom's lexus because it saved us 1000 bucks and a 2 month wait that our local dealer was feeding us.

I talk with my dealer on a regular basis, but I'd like to see him face to face over this 2k2 thing. And find out exactly what's going on. He's been giving me good overviews over the phone but it's hard to know exactly what he's talking about without seeing the paper.

Really there are no changes to the 2k2 model of the Golf TDI's that will make any difference if I buy the first availble one's. Unless the warranty is different. If it's not going to be then I will buy a 2k1 if I can get one.

He showed me a list of 10 incomming cars to our local port that met my needs. So I know they are out there, the problem is getting the other dealers to trade.