Sharp Turbo Sound When shifting from 1st-2nd then 2nd-3rd.

srpsandro

TDI
O4 Jetta TDI GLS AUTO
I have no Idea, just another BS thing that my TDI is doing again. It has a sharp turbo whine when shifted from 1st-2nd then from 2nd-3rd. No whine or whitsle after. It all started after the odemeter Rolled itself back. :confused:

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
It's not a blow off valve. It's an auto. It happens while it is shifting itself
None of these cars have BOV's (unless aftermarket) the sound he was describing is the sudden drop of drive pressure you hear with a straight pipe exhaust. Have you checked your EGR tubes for cracks or sooty buildup? They will make a sharp whistling noise if they leak.

Can you take video of it doing it?

srpsandro

TDI
O4 Jetta TDI GLS AUTO
I will check the tubes out thx. I have the factory exhaust on the car.
I just had the Passager Front window take a dump- new regulater on the way. Does it ever end with theses VW,s?

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Pull the compressor outlet (pipe from turbo to intercooler) and inspect the compressor wheel for play and for housing contact. A local buddy had the same issue and ended up buying a turbo - the bushing was worn down such that the shaft was able to move in and out a good 1/8" and the wheel had been contacting the housing (CHIRP) and chipping away piece by piece. Fortunately, there was no catastrophic failure.