Beetle Blinkin'

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Beetle Blinkin\'

I'm on my 4th DRL in 29k miles. Two replacements on the left, and now the right one's out for the third time.

NB owners: how many DRL's have gone out on you so far?

I realize and appreciate that DRL's are a safety feature, but it kind of averages down when you spend time driving around at night with just one headlight!

------------------
BeetleGo, rarely slow
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
Mud Flaps/Stone Guards/winter/fogs
------------------
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Re: Beetle Blinkin\'

I am on my origanal set. This is because I put a switch in and only use them when needed.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.

Check the voltage output on your alternator. If its too high ( higher than 13.5 - 14v ?? ), it'll blow out bulbs constantly.

BeetleGo

TDI

Weasel,

Is this adjustable? I'm taking my car in tomorrow and intend to mention this to my mechanic.

Thanks,

~BeetleGo

Podkayne

Veteran Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeetleGo:
I'm on my 4th DRL in 29k miles. Two replacements on the left, and now the right one's out for the third time.

NB owners: how many DRL's have gone out on you so far?

I realize and appreciate that DRL's are a safety feature, but it kind of averages down when you spend time driving around at night with just one headlight!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could it be a problem with the electrical system? I know there have been similar type electrical issues with the 98's.

Good luck!!!!

------------------
Heather and Podkayne of Mars
2001 Techno Blue TDI 5-speed New Beetle with grey interior

cage

Top Post Dawg

Chances are they aren't blown. My passenger has gone out 4 or 5 times and my drivers 2 times. If you remove the head light turn the key on and wiggle the bulb it will light. I have never actually had to replace a bulb yet. For some reason the connection of the base of the bulb and the socket loses connection. Sometimes I can get the bulb to re light by banging on the head light without removing it. Next time (and there will be a next time) try banging the light if that doesn't work then remove it jiggle the bulbs around and turn the key back on. I bet it will work. My Beetle will be 3 years old May 1st. and I have not yet had to put a new bulb in. Infact I bought a bulb the first time it happend 2 years ago and it is still in the glove box. Trust me!

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen

32,000+ miles now and I'm on my original set of headlights. In fact 99% of my driving has been during the day too.

BeetleGo

TDI

Thanks Cage, I'll try that.
In the meantime, I DID find a reference to this in the technical bulletin page:
http://tech.vw.com/vw/newtech.htm

------------------
BeetleGo, rarely slow
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
------------------

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI

I blow headlights with alarming regularity-
I was foolish enough to have the first one replaced by dealer- MF's charged me $33$ for labour- told me that entire front end needed to come off to change bulb.

I have gotten good at changing bulbs- the high beam bulb blew 2 weeks ago- and the same DRL that the dealer replaced blew yesterday.
CARRY SPARES- I see lots of VWs with blown head/tail lights

BeetleGo

TDI

Banzai, if you're still under warranty or had one of these bulbs replaced while still under warranty and/or were still under warranty when the service buletin came out in april '00, you should be able to recoup your costs AND get the electrical harness replaced by VW without charge.

Why? Because you've demonstrated that you are experiencing a known defect with the product.

I'm going to look into it further and follow up.

------------------
BeetleGo, rarely slow
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
------------------

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI

http://tech.vw.com/pdf/v940001.pdf

This VW technical Bulletin will explain the fix for headlights that go out. Problem is, I was told 9 mts. ago that there were no harness #1C0 971 671 available in the USA. I fixed mine by replacing the headlight bulb connector ends with spade connector ends. One end is 1/8"(ground to shell) other is 1/4" for hot.