Anyone tuning "fixed" cars

NinjaParty

TDI
2013 JSW MT
I am now a new, proud, and very happy of a buyback TDI and so far I have no complaints. I was looking around and saw the tuning options, and I was wonder if anyone has done any tuning to their buyback cars yet.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
No different than tuning pre-fix. Makes the car much more enjoyable!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I’m at 75k (warranty until 120k) on the bug, 68k (warranty intil 123k) on the passat.... will think about tuning at warranty plus 1 mile, but not until then.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I am delaying the fix until April of 2020 so the warranty will likely be in place for the miles between approximately 110,000 and 160,000 miles.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Absolutely do it u won’t regret.. i have always tuned my bmw with DINAN kerma is your go to for Vw tdi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am delaying the fix until April of 2020 so the warranty will likely be in place for the miles between approximately 110,000 and 160,000 miles.
As long as you are aware of what is happening with those who delayed in the settlement. Some of them are getting screwed for waiting. In 2020 when you are ready and they say no, what will you do? Don't think for a minute anyone is going to help. People can't get help now that are requesting it. You will be easy to just blow off. I hope it works for you!

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
As long as you are aware of what is happening with those who delayed in the settlement. Some of them are getting screwed for waiting. In 2020 when you are ready and they say no, what will you do? Don't think for a minute anyone is going to help. People can't get help now that are requesting it. You will be easy to just blow off. I hope it works for you!
Not concerned at all. I already submitted all of the paperwork and it was already all approved by Audi. I even scheduled the appointment with my local Audi dealer for April 2020. My service manager was laughing when I scheduled the appointment. So I think that I am ok.

If it doesn’t work out for some reason it is not really a big deal. I am thinking about skipping the fix because I don’t want the car bastardized. Plus I am only owed about $4500 so it’s not as though I am owed big money.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The irony of waiting is that a properly tuned car will be less likely to suffer component failure than a "fixed" one.

I wasn't willing to wait 11 years and 162K miles. So I'm my own warranty. Fine with me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The irony of waiting is that a properly tuned car will be less likely to suffer component failure than a "fixed" one.

I wasn't willing to wait 11 years and 162K miles. So I'm my own warranty. Fine with me.
Properly tuned is a subjective opinion. You have made an informed decision that is right for you. You are also in a very different position than the average owner. Nothing wrong with that. You know what you are doing and are willing and able to assume the risk, if any.

There are those who get tuned and then cry foul when denied warranty coverage. Even when informed up front and after trying to hide the fact by removing the tune for service and getting caught. Nothing wrong with getting a tune, just be willing to accept the responsibility as well as the benefits.

I also have a problem with those who jump in to say get the tune, but don't follow through with the potential risks involved. Especially when it is a newbie asking. Part of the reason I have posted in a few threads that have come up stating what the potential downside is. It may or may not be a benefit to some.

But don't get me wrong I have loved every tune I have had in the past. I have had a tuning box when I started. Then a Rocketchip tune and several Malone tunes after that. But those were all done on older cars or cars with shorter almost used up warranties. But this car I bought because of the warranty and I would like to preserve it. Most of the threads here that I have posted in the OP has posted the warranty has some value to them, but they are asking about tunes. I felt it was right to inform them they are risking it when getting one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
No argument. And if getting full value out of the warranty is an owner's first priority, waiting to tune the car is a good idea. I found the performance of my GSW (manual) was lacking enough to warrant the risk. If I didn't own tuned older cars, or if it was a DSG, I probably woudn't even have noticed. But switching from a tuned ALH to the GSW made it feel like a dog. Even tuned it doesn't have the midrange power I'm used to. I had to accelerate to get ahead of a truck when merging onto the highway this AM, and I floored the car in 4th at about 50 MPH and thought "that's it?"

But I agree people should make their own best choice.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
4th at 50 is what 2000-2200 rpms? That should be around 300trqs on a tuned EA288. How does that compare to the heavily modified IBW?

Also have you change the throttle response to direct? I don't believe ECU tuning changes that setting it may be worth while to break out VCDS to check the status of that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
300 is about right, according to the VCDS we ran post-tune. My MKIV Wagon probably makes about 260-270 with its current setup, but it's also at least 300 lbs lighter.

I'm not sure what RC does with the throttle response, but floored is floored, I would think.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Interesting what is Dorado direct and what does it do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
300 is about right, according to the VCDS we ran post-tune. My MKIV Wagon probably makes about 260-270 with its current setup, but it's also at least 300 lbs lighter.

I'm not sure what RC does with the throttle response, but floored is floored, I would think.

Yeah but floored with a delay built into response will have a change in feeling.

Take a look at that ABS module and see if you notice a difference.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the change of throttle response to direct shouldn't void the warranty, its coding the ABS module not the ECU, while not the topic of this thread is a great compromise.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Last time I tried it was grayed out and not accessible. So it might not be available to everyone as a choice. I will check again and see if I can access it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last time I tried it was grayed out and not accessible. So it might not be available to everyone as a choice. I will check again and see if I can access it.

Yeah the beatle is jetta based and not full blown MQB/MK7.

I still haven't tried to attempt to do it on our Passat.

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Speaking of tuning the fixed cars, is the post fixed exhaust system much different to remove than the pre-fix cars?