'15 Jetta TDI after phase 2 mod

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I bought my 2015 Jetta sel with DSG after first phase was fixed so I don't have the data on how it did prior to the emission fix. However, my car somehow never achieves 38 mpg (city 20%, highway 80%). It has good power but the FE is not there. 2010 Jetta that I have actually averages 42-44( with a tune)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
There's nothing wrong with the OPs car. Mine (2015 jetta) lost 6-8 MPG measured at every fill up after phase 1 and did not improve after phase 2.
It is also low on power, have to manually downshift to merge into interstate.\
Observations since phase 1.
Fuel quality seems to have went down, which would account for the occasional better tank mileage seen (3-4 low).
After phase 1, best mileage was at 70 mph or lower (low,low 40s)
After phase 2 best mileage is 78 mph or higher (mid 40's).
been to two different dealers both checked out car and said nothing wrong. However they have seen intakes clogging up with soot from EGR, causing problems.
Lastly DEF regens take 30-40 miles out of a tank full. Mine regens at least 3 times per tank. That is 90-120 miles of range lost, which accounts for the 6-8 mpg loss in MPG.
Before fix there was maybe one regen per 600+ miles.

It's NOT RUNNING RIGHT.
Sorry...you have nothing to compare it too...
I drove mine off the lot new in 2015...
Performance is the same, with perhaps slightly better MPG, certainly better DSG behavior, then new.
Regens still seem to be once per tank post fix #2
Mpg had always been 40-48 mpg seasonal...still is.
TQ band has changed a bit to encourage people to stay low in the RPM to get the MPG goals...but even heavy trucks have done this...high rpms in a diesel are counterproductive...makes noise, and makes you feel like you are actually accelerating faster...buts it's not....it's why typically "progressive shifting" is taught in DIESEL truck driving schools.use the TQ, not the rpms.
Yes...these cars are peppy off the line and initial accelerating, but not fast...
That why the reviews all said they were as exciting as "warm maple syrup"....

dodgeit

TDI
Jetta
It's NOT RUNNING RIGHT.
Sorry...you have nothing to compare it too...
I drove mine off the lot new in 2015...
Performance is the same, with perhaps slightly better MPG, certainly better DSG behavior, then new.
Regens still seem to be once per tank post fix #2
Mpg had always been 40-48 mpg seasonal..
Well I beg to differ ( nothing to compare it to ) I drove mine off the lot in July of 2015, with 14 miles on the OD. Mileage was hand calculated for every tank. It also is a DSG car. 300 mile round trip commute weekly with 30 to 50 miles on the weekend that fell in between. Always took between 12.6 and 13.1 gallons for 630 to 650 miles.

Now I am getting 40-41 on winter fuel and 43-44 on summer.

The dealers in SC acknowledge that the cars they have done Phase 1 to lost significant mileage. After phase 2 there was a slight improvement in some, but generally none seen in the majority.

If your car didn't suffer good for you. If you are taking mileage off the Lie O meter, and not hand calculated over a period of time, you may be surprised.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
my car had phase 1 when i bought it. (Golf, not the SW)

Every single tank is tracked in fuelly. i have not gotten phase 2 yet. It gets the same or slightly better than my GSW ever did.

Fat Rabbit

TDI
Mk7 sportwagen Golf TDI
Hello!

Just bought a 2016 GSW with the 6 speed manual.

Here in Mexico we are receiving "fixed" diesel gate models since last year. I don't know up to what phase they are "fixed" The only thing I can tell you is that they are DEF deleted.

Power wise they feel a little bit slower than expected, however gas mileage wise they where OK when Stock, I was getting 45 - 50 mpg in the first diesel tank.

Last week I decided to go tuned (stage 1)... Power wise the feeling at full boost feels very similar but now it keeps higher up to 4500 RPMs which is great.

But when it shines is on the mileage... I got 58 mpg today on a 80% highway 20% city trip.

I'm going Stage 2 tomorrow to see if I can get a better acceleration out of this CR150 ;)

I have 300 miles on the odometer and already going wild!