3.0 gen 1 fix experiences?

tauran

TDI
2012 Q7
I have a 2012 Q7, 100,000 miles, and have not selected repair or buyback.
My wife likes the car and wants to keep it, but given what I have read, we are likely to lose a lot of power and MPG after the fix.
I haven't seen a specific post regarding the 3.0 gen 1 fix, does anyone have feedback on the repair yet?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I would actually not expect you to lose much in the power or MPG. The older vehicles took a longer time to test because they are relaxing emissions a bit to keep the performance and MPG up. The big changes in the Gen 2 thread were regarding warm-up and shifting behavior, plus worse mileage on short trips (due to the warm-up changes). I am very curious as well as I turned in my 2011 - the numbers were just too good to justify keeping it.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Hasn't the opportunity for buyback passed?

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Sell it back and buy a newer low mile 3.0 TDI. Lots of them available for great prices.

I didn't notice any significant power difference before and after repair. 1-2 lower mpg. Adblue tank still lasted > 9000 miles.

kkees

TDI
2012 AUDI Q7 TDI S-Line
2012 Audi Q7

I'm in the same boat. I have a 2012 Q7 TDI with 85k miles. I have been unable to find any comment on the fix for these anywhere. My local Audi dealer hasn't even had one come in for the fix yet so I would be the FIRST. So I'm still waiting. We have until Sept 1st I believe? I pull a camper regularly @ 4500lbs and I"ve read the engine brake is effected and performance at altitude. I pull my camper to Colorado over most mountain passes up there. So I'm super concerned about this fix. I've seen recommendations for the buy back and getting a 2015, but I'm honestly not comfortable with a newer one in the mountains either. If I let them buy back, I'm probably done with Audi. Sux because I LOVE MY CAR!!!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you love it why not just leave it alone and continue loving it as is? No one is forced to change it. Or just can't turn down the cash? Most can't.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Do the buyback and purchase a Gen 2 instead and have plenty of cash left over. A fix will give you only about $15K maximum I think, if not less. Buyback will be $40K+. A nice 2014-2015 model is around $20K. So you will have newer car and more money left over.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
If you love it why not just leave it alone and continue loving it as is? No one is forced to change it. Or just can't turn down the cash? Most can't.

You're exactly right!

From what I've seen on these forums, this VW settlement has brought out the greed in people.

Then they complain about VW. Can't have it both ways.

:D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Do the buyback and purchase a Gen 2 instead and have plenty of cash left over. A fix will give you only about $15K maximum I think, if not less. Buyback will be $40K+. A nice 2014-2015 model is around $20K. So you will have newer car and more money left over.
Yup, seems like a no brainer. Irrational attachment to a car is just that- irrational. There are plenty of newer, better ones out there that would give an even better ownership experience.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasn't the Gen 1 fix initially rejected because it would be too costly and impact the car too much?

I guess they swept that under the rug.

Now it's magically fixed!

Yes, take the buyback money. Buy a newer Q7 if you must have the same car.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
They did a second round of testing, so it seems likely that they were able to get a working calibration. If it were just sweeping it under the rug I would have expected fixed for all generations instead of just most of them. Do agree that the buyback is a no brainier, it was more than I paid for the car CPO three years earlier.