Brakes Locking

CBASE

TDI
'02 Beelte TDI 70,000 miles
I have and 02 beetle and have had this happen twice now, when I start out driving the car is fine but them the car seems like it is having the brakes applied and you can hardly accelerate and the steering wheel stars pulling back and forth. My wife had this happen on the interstate and talked to her dad and he told her to put it into reverse and that unlocked them. Any one know what could cause something like this? Would this cause any engine problems, I think she drove a couple miles with the problem? It seems to have started after it was at the dealer for sevice and they did recall work on a brake light switch but I dont think that is connected.

Thanks
Chris

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
This sounds like a case where the front brakes are never releasing enough when cold to provide enough clearance between the pads and rotors... therefore, when you start driving, the light contact begins to build up heat until they expand enough to make tighter contact causing the "self-braking."

It's just a thought, because I had this happen once with a car that you had to manually adjust the parking brake cable. I was returning home from the dealer that had just adjusted it and aparently over-adjusted it so that it was making some contact. As it heated up it applied itself quite strongly until the car started slowing and the rear end was shuddering.

-Mel

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I remember that there is/was a problem and even a safety recall regarding the ABS unit that caused brakes to drag/lock. I know that it affected Jettas - not sure about Beetles. Here is a thread.
You might want to call VWoA regarding the recall. Have the VIN handy.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Could also be the brake switch that they replaced. It the switch is defective the ECU cuts power to the engine and no matter how hard you push the peddle it won't matter. Maybe you are confusing cut engine power with brakes being applied. Just a thought.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The vibration in the steering wheel would suggest otherwise. I betcha there's a problem with either the ABS module, or the master cylinder, or the power brake servo.

If the master cylinder doesn't get released far enough to expose an internal vent hole, this can happen. That, in turn, can happen either due to a fault in the master cylinder itself or in the power brake vacuum servo.

cliver1

Probaly the brake booster, As a VW Techy, have now ran into this problem three times, Very aukward job on Beetle

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
more common problem than you think especally on the N.B.it's a weak spring on the back of the brake booster and difficult to fix and several hundred dollars to fix at the dealership!I complained to Volkswagen Hdq.about it after I paid the dealership and they reimbursed me the amount (secret recall) good luck! /images/graemlins/frown.gif