Can I tow it home using front tow hook?

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Idiot 17 year old son holed his second oil pan tonight on his 2000 Golf. Its about 5 miles from my house. Can I tow it home with the front tow hook (and my Yukon) or is that really just for short, straight-line unditching?

I know, I know. Don't even say "skidplate". He can keep buying oil pans and oil until he learns to keep it off the rocks or he decides to spend $300 on one instead of new speakers.

Thanks

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Dad towed me with our Yukon XL for a mile, when my timing belt roller seized.
If there's not too many turns, I bet you could make it. :)

Remember to keep the tow strap tight the entire time!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Not a problem, that's why it's called a "Tow Hook".

I have towed people out of ditches and straight line down the highway without issue. The bolt is anchored directly into the frame so its about as solid as it gets short of a trailer hitch attachment.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Make him push it home.

It will tow fine. I had to tow mine a couple miles when the lift pump failed towing with my 81 rabbit in town. Put in nuetral, key in the unlocked possition and someone in the car to run the brakes as needed. The brakes is the hardest part so you keep even tension on the tow rope so you aren't snapping/driving over it.

And I will say it-get a skid plate. Why wouldn't you?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
...just make sure he has his foot ready over the brake pedal. You really do not want him ramming into the back of your car when you have to stop.

Have Fun!

Don

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
...just make sure he has his foot ready over the brake pedal. You really do not want him ramming into the back of your car when you have to stop.

Have Fun!

Don
I was thinking the same thing. No engine = no vacuum = hard pedal = rear-ended at stop sign.

Use a looooong tow strap.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Use a long and non-stretch tow strap. Do not use a nylon 3-strand rope. The latter stretches quite a bit and if it breaks will come back at the other end with extreme force (sufficient to seriously injure or kill.) Make sure he is prepared to brake without the power-brake booster (it will be MUCH harder to press the brake pedal.)

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Make sure the tow hook is screwed in tightly. If not, the threads may strip out. Have him use the handbrake to help in braking also.