Tiguan

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg

I turned the dial to snow and off road, I tried going up a grassy hill at a sideways approach.

Only one front tire would spin. ***? AWD my ass...

I thought the system would divert power or lock differentials at the xfer?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Haldex controller will attempt to equalize the torque front to rear, but both differentials are still open and therefor require the normal EDL function of the ABS just like a FWD version would.

The Tiguan is NOT an "off road" vehicle, by any means. Its system is designed to keep you ON the road. And the Haldex system won't ever hold a flame to the Torsen system in the longitudinal cars. You should see my 4Mo B5 Passat tackle the hills, LOL. That thing goes like a yak on crack. :eek:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Thats any point.

I never got any wheel spin in the back...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There has to be wheelspin at the front in order for the rears to engage, the system normally is about 95% front biased. And in order for the EDL to activate, it too has to see wheelspin.

I wasn't there so I cannot comment on if yours is not working correctly, but steady pressure on the accelerator should, eventually, cause engagement to the non-slipping wheels. It is not instant, and on really slippy surfaces it will not be too aggressive as to not damage itself with a sudden harsh engagement.

I've driven an Audi A3 quattro (same system) in some pretty bad snowfall once and even with the standard issue all season tires it seemed to perform just fine for me, but it did have the trac light flashing quite a bit here and there... so I know the system was busy doing its best.

You can also change the soft coding in some Haldex controllers for increased traction. The default is "standard" I think. I've never done this, but I know it can be done. You may look in the Haldex with VCDS and see if there is a setting that can be changed.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yeah, I got kinda wild and into it too. I was starting to dig a hole at the one front tire and nothing what happening at the rear of vehicle.

I laughed and backed off and continued on, taking the mindset as you've mentioned it's not really a true " off-road, ugly, need serious power at all wheels" rig.

All this fancy stuff will never match a true locked gear or chain xfer case with posi or lockable differentials, regarding performance, strength, or reliability. All this has been removed in the name of EPA, lighter and less heavy components.

I was going to poke around, but there was a Verizon adapter in the port, and it has a meid #, so it's cellular.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The Tiguan is NOT an "off road" vehicle, by any means.

This is made clear by the plastic oil pan and the obvious lack of a skid plate under it. I know some named dirt roads I would not want to take in it.

Have Fun!

Don

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
All this fancy stuff will never match a true locked gear or chain xfer case with posi or lockable differentials, regarding performance, strength, or reliability. All this has been removed in the name of EPA, lighter and less heavy components.
You might have it backwards. It's not that real 4wd drive hardware is missing - it's that the absolute minimum of equipment was added so that VW marketers could offer (and charge more for) an AWD vehicle.