Air Noise, Oil Everywhere - Intercooler hose? - Foil Tape?

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Intercooler hose - HELP FINDING NEW/UPGRADE

So it looks like I've broken a hose or seal somewhere on the bottom right half of my engine. I have a nasty air noise over 2000 RPM under load (sounds like an output), and freshly oil covered hoses and parts in the corresponding area. From searching it's likely a turbo intercooler hose.
I'm not really able to purchase and install a new hose right away; I'll add it to the list of things to replace during my 5-speed swap. I'm thinking of cleaning up the area and trying to find the leak, then wrapping the hose with foil duct tape. Opinions? Suggestions for inspection and cleaning?

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
The hose from the turbo to the intercooler crossover pipe (part of the bottom of the radiator) often gets worn by an improperly installed ground wire to the starter.

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
The hose from the turbo to the intercooler crossover pipe (part of the bottom of the radiator) often gets worn by an improperly installed ground wire to the starter.
You win the game, JohnBoy! Not sure if it is a ground wire, but it was a wire in a loom poorly connected to a ground wire that rubbed through the intercooler hose.

I removed the intercooler hose. The top clip was a real PITA. I wrapped the hose in duct tape and reattached it. I flipped the wire in loom to the other side of the ground wire by disconnecting it (13mm).

Hopefully this will hold a while until I get into the restoration. I'm probably going to get something high quality and in a bright color. Maybe a braided stainless?

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
It looks like there are a lot of sellers online trying to pass off the 3B0 145 828 G as the K.

I would prefer
1) the correct pipe;
2) maybe an improved one or something in a color.

I'd appreciate any assistance since searches are turning up nothing.

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No ****? Try 200+ miles and counting. I have a 32 miles daily commute if I don't go anywhere else. And it's noticeably more quiet, so I think this has been a growing problem.

Did you have anything helpful to add? Like a link to the correct hose at a more reasonable price? An upgraded hose? Something better than duct tape? Anything that isn't "I see you aren't exactly wealthy and need to improve your situation immediately, but **** you."

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
There are different grades of duct tape. There is what yoy buy at Wal-Mart and there is the industrial grade i got from my father from when he was a service tech for General Electric turbine division.

It would hold! Stuff is left over from the 90's.

From the reviews ive read only the oem charge hoses will hold up for the long haul. The aftermarket seem to have a short life span. Im not a huge fan of the oring and clip design. I much prefer silicone couplers and t bolt stainless clamps.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF

No ****? Try 200+ miles and counting. I have a 32 miles daily commute if I don't go anywhere else. And it's noticeably more quiet, so I think this has been a growing problem.

Did you have anything helpful to add? Like a link to the correct hose at a more reasonable price? An upgraded hose? Something better than duct tape? Anything that isn't "I see you aren't exactly wealthy and need to improve your situation immediately, but **** you."
So snarky.

Yeah, go ahead and ignore the years and years of experience and folks who have already tried your macgyver lower hose fix.

Wont last the summer - enjoy doing it over again.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
So snarky.
Yeah, go ahead and ignore the years and years of experience and folks who have already tried your macgyver lower hose fix.
Wont last the summer - enjoy doing it over again.
Lol I'm with him on this one, I tried using an inner-tube from an old bicycle, with some vinyl cement, stretched it tight and wrapped the crap out of it with GOOD duck-tape...it got me to work the next day which is what I needed it to do but even babying it, it lasted maybe 3 days. (mind you i have a stage 2 tune), but your mileage may vary, could be more could be less but IMO its not a reliable repair if you need that car to get places, though the balloon whistling noise it made was pretty hilarious :D

If you want the OEM hose cheap your best bet it to start searching the junkyards, other than that start saving haha

I was thinking about taking the ends off my old split hose and having someone try to weld up an aluminum version.

There are also these adapters (not sure the diameter needed) that you could try with some silicone hose, not sure how much more reliable it would be/its cost effectiveness since they are pretty pricey

http://www.tunemyeuro.com/1-3-8-adapter-for-alh-vnt17-turbos/

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
I like how people can say stupid and rude things and act like they're being helpful. Then are amazed someone is less than polite in return. Is this common here? Are they like this in person?

Well, since I don't have an extra $300 and there aren't any salvage yards around, fixing it several times with duct tape doesn't seem like any more or less of a hassle.

Duct brand tape. 32 mile round trip commute. 200 miles and counting. Drive it like I stole it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I was thinking about taking the ends off my old split hose and having someone try to weld up an aluminum version...
They are rubber hoses for a reason. If you pipe the turbo solid to the crossover pipe, you will break something, probably the aluminum compressor housing on turbo itself, when the engine moves around and the pipe doesn't.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I like how people can say stupid and rude things and act like they're being helpful. Then are amazed someone is less than polite in return. Is this common here? Are they like this in person?

Well, since I don't have an extra $300 and there aren't any salvage yards around, fixing it several times with duct tape doesn't seem like any more or less of a hassle.

Duct brand tape. 32 mile round trip commute. 200 miles and counting. Drive it like I stole it.
Profane is a bit different from "...less than polite...". Enough said?

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
They are rubber hoses for a reason. If you pipe the turbo solid to the crossover pipe, you will break something, probably the aluminum compressor housing on turbo itself, when the engine moves around and the pipe doesn't.
That was my thought when thinking about upgrades. With a balance delete I'm especially sure it would ruin any rigid sort of material.

I have done due diligence on my search. I can't see any other option aside from buying the stock pipe. I can't even find any sort of upgrade options.

DUCT TAPE TILL THEN!

Still looks new!

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
Profane is a bit different from "...less than polite...". Enough said?

No. I didn't realize this was a Sunday school ran by a bunch of hens more worried about language than how your members actually interact. That's why you got a bunch of trolls on here. Maybe you should be more worried about that.

Better forums would issue warnings to people like Uberhare for posting pointless, unhelpful, and rude comments on people's threads.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.

No. I didn't realize this was a Sunday school ran by a bunch of hens more worried about language than how your members actually interact. That's why you got a bunch of trolls on here. Maybe you should be more worried about that.

Better forums would issue warnings to people like Uberhare for posting pointless, unhelpful, and rude comments on people's threads.
Says the man with Obnoxious in his username. My comment was not rude, and intended to heed you warning it simply would not last. I feel you have been more rude on your part.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
you could buy ten of THESE for the cost of one OEM hose...
Does the G even fit properly? Everything I've found regarding it said it took some sort of minor modification to fit a pipe that offered reduced power and additional noise. I can pull it and tape it regularly until I have the $ for the right hose. A roll of duct tape is less than $10 and can repair the hose probably 100 times.

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
Says the man with Obnoxious in his username. My comment was not rude, and intended to heed you warning it simply would not last. I feel you have been more rude on your part.

Kind regards.
Your comment was rude, unhelpful, and unnecessary. If you cared to be helpful you could have discussed the amount of pressure in the hose and suggested something realistic. 32 miles a day. I'll make sure to let you know when it fails. Unlike you, at least I am not a hypocrite.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Does the G even fit properly? Everything I've found regarding it said it took some sort of minor modification to fit a pipe that offered reduced power and additional noise. I can pull it and tape it regularly until I have the $ for the right hose. A roll of duct tape is less than $10 and can repair the hose probably 100 times.
The only difference is that the turbo end of the hose does not have the orifice plate that the K hose does. If you look at the turbo compressor outlet, you will see the same diameter orifice there. I do believe that folks here have used the G hose without issue.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
This Johnny guy is a troll...saying uberhare is unhelpful and rude. LMAO

Good luck with your temporary fix

Last edited:

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
The only difference is that the turbo end of the hose does not have the orifice plate that the K hose does. If you look at the turbo compressor outlet, you will see the same diameter orifice there. I do believe that folks here have used the G hose without issue.
Maybe? The difference is definitely the connection at the turbo end. It looks like it's missing the "orifice plate," and maybe it will fit and function, but everything I found said "lower performance and more noise." So, like I keep saying, I can tape it until I get the $2-300 K hose.

And if you look at the pics closely, the intercooler end on mine is banged up from bottoming out. Looks like I need some front suspension and a skid plate.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
This Johnny guy is a *** troll...saying uberhare is unhelpful and rude. LMFAO

Good luck with your temporary fix
Yup, and if Jonny doesn't cool his jets, he's going to wind up on the banned list... Just sayin'

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've bought and installed this hose, from this vendor, on my B5 TDI.

Since you don't seem to give a flying fart about manners or the experience of the long-term members here... I'll keep my findings to myself.

Ironic you post about trolls, given your troll-ish behavior.

Go ahead, fling more insults - I'm sure you'll get even more people to help you.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I've bought and installed this hose, from this vendor, on my B5 TDI.

Since you don't seem to give a flying fart about manners or the experience of the long-term members here... I'll keep my findings to myself.

Ironic you post about trolls, given your troll-ish behavior.

Go ahead, fling more insults - I'm sure you'll get even more people to help you.
Can we PLEASE STOP fanning the fire? Maybe this thread should just be closed...