2015 Golf Sportwagen break-in

golfman

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, '02 Golf TDI
So I took delivery of the 2015 Sportwagen 6-speed manual today. After trading in my '02 golf with some mixed emotions I'm interested to hear you experts talk break in. There are a whopping 58 miles on her of which 20 were the drive from the dealership to my house. Please advise! Thank you.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......expert? Not really.

.....but two years ago, I was breaking in a JSW TDI 6M

I was told "RTFM"............

Now we all know that is rather rude.

I'd add three points:

1. Use good D2 (I use Chevron from a high turnover station near UP railroad yard where multiple HI-RAIL vehicles fuel daily)

2. Shift at the max torque lower edge.

3. Avoid steady speeds when highway driving. In town vary the 1750 - 2500 RPM torque band..............this - I was told in early 2013 - assists in proper break-in.

Torque, good fuel numbers, reliability (at least to date) plus the first 3 services without cost.

And that's fine with this sailor.

ez

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Reading your title, I thought you had a break-in on a brand new car... :eek: What a disappointing event that would be.

Now I see you want engine break-in advice. I don't think things have changed much over the years as far as advice goes. Give it a little bit of everything, excluding WOT mashes and constant, low-load freeway driving. Vary your speeds and loads to 'exercise' the engine but not to any extremes.

My current (used) TDI uses more oil than it should and I contribute that (at least in part) to an improper break-in. My first one (owned since new) used little to none. I truly think that was because I followed the general rules for break-in.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
.......expert? Not really.

.....but two years ago, I was breaking in a JSW TDI 6M

I was told "RTFM"............

Now we all know that is rather rude.

I'd add three points:

1. Use good D2 (I use Chevron from a high turnover station near UP railroad yard where multiple HI-RAIL vehicles fuel daily)

2. Shift at the max torque lower edge.

3. Avoid steady speeds when highway driving. In town vary the 1750 - 2500 RPM torque band..............this - I was told in early 2013 - assists in proper break-in.

Torque, good fuel numbers, reliability (at least to date) plus the first 3 services without cost.

And that's fine with this sailor.

ez
You are correct. It is very rude to ask 25,000+ people a question without doing at least some research on your own, which would include reading the fine manual.

TO the OP, drive the car normally, avoiding the use of the cruise control.

Drive more, Worry less.

Welcome to the club (in 2008, LOL)!

Bill

golfman

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, '02 Golf TDI
Thanks. Yep, no jerk breaking into the new car, just looking to hear if there were any considerations on breaking in the new platform.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
just follow what the owners manual says. I don't think that post is relevant anymore. Pure mechanical failures are very rare these days.