Heated Seat Question

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
My Driver's heated seat tried to burn a hole through my butt last week. Shut it off in time - no damage to the cover.

I have spoken to a dealer to find out whether any warranty extension applies to my car, and it doesn't (reliable source). I spoke to their parts department and was told that a new seat cover costs somewhere around $350. I asked about getting just the element, and was told that they come together.

I checked with Precision if I could order just the element, and it's not available.

Does anyone have any thoughts? (other than buying Recaros....) Can I get just an element from somewhere?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Most of the time, damage to the seat heater grid can be repaired quite easily.

It's usually just a break in one of the wires, and they're usually easy to find - look for the burn mark.:D

Solder a light gauge wire in the gap, tape it over and you're in business.

Double check your heated seat switch too, as it was the culprit in the recall, and could cause the grid to overheat if it gets stuck "on".

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Windex - I will try that. I wasn't aware that it was a fairly easy fix.

As for the switch, due to a sore back, I use my heated seats all the time - they are always on 5. I knew this day would come!

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
www.car-part.com
they have tons of golf/jetta seats. When i was looking at mine it seemed lot easier to get a used one rather then trying to changing the element.

If you do decide to get it from them just make sure you ask for 3months warranty on it so that way you can return it if it stops working.

As for the element replacement, VW is right. its stiched right into the seat cover and its in 5 pieces so you can't just replace it. As windex has mentioned you can try to repair it but that means you have to take the cover off.

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
mine burned a hole through the fabric and heated up my leg good too. it was covere by warranty long aftyer my 100 K was up. Take it in and tell them your not happy about this

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
yatzee said:
Windex - I will try that. I wasn't aware that it was a fairly easy fix.

As for the switch, due to a sore back, I use my heated seats all the time - they are always on 5. I knew this day would come!
5?!? Holy crap. I can't stand mine on anything more than 3.

Sounds like you need one that goes to eleven.

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
Windex said:
5?!? Holy crap. I can't stand mine on anything more than 3.

Sounds like you need one that goes to eleven.
Ask Spinal Tap to take a switch off one of there amps! :D They go to 11!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Not for my car. According to the dealer, 02 Golf's were not included. (and this is from a trusted dealer source)

Brian_Spilsbury said:
the dealer should fix it. It was a recall item as well.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I agree with Rob. I've heard before that VW was doing some warranty work on this stuff. I think there was even a lawsuit regarding the heating element issue. Talk to a different dealer or talk to VW Canada. Do some searching over on the Vortex regarding this issue...can't hurt to have some refernce when talking to these guys.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Toronto_Vento said:
I agree with Rob. I've heard before that VW was doing some warranty work on this stuff. I think there was even a lawsuit regarding the heating element issue. Talk to a different dealer or talk to VW Canada. Do some searching over on the Vortex regarding this issue...can't hurt to have some refernce when talking to these guys.
I agree with you guys - usually I would push, but I have a friend who is a tech at a dealer who double checked the bulletin and confirmed that mine isn't in the range.

Maybe I'll give VW Canada a call today if i'm bored...

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
i got the lower portion of the seat replaced. call vw and tell them you will be writing to all the auto writers about this. it was easy for me i went in they ordered the seat and i was good to go. no complaining at all. your buddy might not be able to read. mine is a 03.

stoutguru

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
He is right. The VV recall covers 2002-2004 Jetta, 2002-2005 Jetta Wagon and 2003-2005 Golf/GTI equipped with "comfort" seats. If you call VW Canada they might help you out, it's worth a shot.

calvins car

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Comfortline Platinum Grey
yatzee said:
My Driver's heated seat tried to burn a hole through my butt last week. Shut it off in time - no damage to the cover.

I have spoken to a dealer to find out whether any warranty extension applies to my car, and it doesn't (reliable source). I spoke to their parts department and was told that a new seat cover costs somewhere around $350. I asked about getting just the element, and was told that they come together.

I checked with Precision if I could order just the element, and it's not available.

Does anyone have any thoughts? (other than buying Recaros....) Can I get just an element from somewhere?
hey Mike...
sorry about the toasty butt...

my cousin had this happen in his audi A4 - and they tried to blow him off as well... he kept at it as it is a Major fault and not just a nusiance...
they eventually replaced his whole car for him.
didn't matter if it was beyond the warranty... look for the recalls.