oil pan removal and replacement

massey860

TDI
2000 Jetta
I hit a bump in the road and cracked my oil pan. It was not too bad and I did not damage the engine............I have it jacked up and it looked pretty straight forwrd for removal, until I ran into 2 10mm bolts that are hidden just behind the flywheel. I have a manual transmission, in a 2000 Jetta TDI with a 1.9l engine. Do I have to remove the engine to get at these? Is there some special trick or tool? I looked for a "how to" on this, lot's of people have had trouble with hitting something, but no one except me seems to have trouble getting the pan off.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Use a long ball end 5mm hex bit, or a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket on a u-joint with extension to reach them.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
MOGolf said:
Use a long ball end 5mm hex bit, or a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket on a u-joint with extension to reach them.
In other words you get to go buy new tools. Not a bad day all things considered.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
I used my Bondhaus Ball Driver L-wrench. And a small goosneck LED penlight.

Now, when you go to install these two screws, it will be fun. But not if you put a little of the sealant for the oilpan into the socket head of those two screws. This holds the screw on the end of the Ball Driver end just enough to make it easy but not enough to interfere. Just a tiny bit, like half a grain of rice worth.

Then go get a massage on your neck and take some NSAID pain relievers.

massey860

TDI
2000 Jetta
All went according to plan. Well, almost. I did not realize that there is a groove in the flywheel, which makes it far easier to get the bolts. That said, I removed the pan, and put it back together. I still had a leak though...........so I redid it, and put some form a gasket on it............still leaked. Upon taking it apart again, I see that my rear seal is cracked. Not sure how I managed to do that but it must be replaced.

billo14

TDI
2005 jetta tdi auto/stick
2004STARWARSTDI said:
After you replace oil pan buy & install an Evolution skid plate! Evolution Auto Accessories - Specializing in Volkswagen and Audi preformance p
I have been considering an aluminum skid plate and went to your link. Evolution Import specifies 2005.5 and up for product fit specs. I have a 2005 Jetta TDI Tiptronic transmission.

How do I assure that this unit will fit? Is there something in my VIN number that will confirm if I have a 2005.5?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
billo14 said:
I have been considering an aluminum skid plate and went to your link. Evolution Import specifies 2005.5 and up for product fit specs. I have a 2005 Jetta TDI Tiptronic transmission.

How do I assure that this unit will fit? Is there something in my VIN number that will confirm if I have a 2005.5?
You need the skidplate for the A4 cars. Fits very nicely. So does the dieselgeek and the galvanized skidplate by tdiwagonguy.

billo14

TDI
paramedick said:
You need the skidplate for the A4 cars. Fits very nicely. So does the dieselgeek and the galvanized skidplate by tdiwagonguy.
Can't seem to find the tdiwagonguy's information about the galvanized unit he sells. And, my question really pertained to the Evolution Auto's spec on the 2005.5 unit ............ if it would fit my car. Anyone have an idea on that question?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I have Dieselgeek aluminum skid plates on my 2000 TDI's and they are scraped and gouged from striking parking blocks, running over ladders in middle of the interstate, jumping speed breakers and slamming the bottom hard onto the pavement when bottoming out at speed... never any problems, no worries...

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2005 Jetta is an old body A4. Same as any other Jetta made since 1999.5

2005.5 Jetta is the new body A5 cars.

It's important that you differentiate when you post or order parts online.

billo14

TDI
paramedick said:
2005 Jetta is an old body A4. Same as any other Jetta made since 1999.5

2005.5 Jetta is the new body A5 cars.

It's important that you differentiate when you post or order parts online.
Yes, and that was my question ...... how do I differentiate which it is.??

I already knew I wanted to order one. But I didn't want the wrong one.

Dieselgeek was understanding the question, answered it, and received the order for the A4 skid plate. Thanks, Dieselgeek.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Any more tips for oil pan removal on these cars? Does anything have to be removed or is pretty much a straight shot? Should anything else be replaced while I am down there or just the actual oil pan and gasket?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, you could do the main & con-rod bearings and the oil pump. But if they don't need it, then why?

Or the real main seal. But that one requires pulling the transaxle and flywheel, so it's not one you would do "while I am down there."

So yeah, guess the oil pan itself will have to do.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I had to pull my oil pan to clean out a handful of turbo bearing metal shards because I drove my car home after I broke the turbo without pinching off the oil supply line.

I put the new style upgraded pan on with the metal bottom I bought from Peter at TDIparts.com... less chance of ever busting it if the skid plate is hammered too hard some day. I had to do some metal removal on the side of the pan and on the A/C compressor housing but it was no big deal... I have air tools but I did it all by hand with a few files. The steel bottom is removable which is cool.