TDIFest experience so far:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Figured i'd post my experience today. Pretty hectic long day.

I'm the guy rolling the Huffs, black MK4 Golf, slammed on Koni's. Ontario plates.

Got up yesterday (Fri. at 6pm - i'm on night shift this week). Washed the car, packed up and drove to a vwvortex GTG in Toronto. Left early and headed to work as it started to rain. Dirty again. Got out of work at 6:30am Sat, and started heading to OH. The border crossing at Detroit, was slow, in line for over an hour. Long weekend line-ups.

The divets in the pavement for/aft the bridges on the interstate kept me awake! Michigan roads SUCK! They are brutal. OH is a little better, but the troopers were out in full force. Saw at least a dozen cars pulled over. Other than that, the drive down was smooth sailing. Rolled into the lot as the road rally was leaving.

Met some cool people hanging around the "lot". The Golf got some looks. Mr. Glen? programmed my window up/down deal with the keyfob. AWESOME. Thanks. Spent wayyy tooo much $$$$ with Aaron, BleachedBora, of Bora parts. Blew my budget out the window!

Got some lunch, and was totally exhausted, and a little out of it. Couldn't think straight. Mr, Vermin experienced some of it in the passenger seat while looking for food.

Left the lot before the movie, on a mission to find a DIY car wash to get things cleaned up. Cleaned up the interior, and realized it was 9pm. Still have nowhere to sleep. So start calling all the hotels in the area from my GPS at the carwash. Everyoone is booked. Dammmit! Stupid me for leaving it this late. :mad:

Finally get some guy from central office of Amerisuites and he books me a room. Go to the address and it's a Marriot? Registration says things have changed up around here, and the Amerisuites is now the Hyatt next door. Hyatt says they have been full all night and they shouldn't have given me a room. That was like 15min ago, and she sees the reservation on her system. Now what? ..... she says, "Our mistake, here's some paperwork, take it to the Crown Plaza and stay there. Don't pay, it's on US! :eek:

So i'm typing this from the top floor of the Crown Plaza! The TDI looks a little out of place mixed in with the Benz's and Bimmer's. :D

I'll be out cold soon, up over 29hrs.

Any other stories out there?

See-ya tommorrow,
Pete
(still have to clean up the glass/paint)

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
If you ever stop at a hotel, and they are filled up, ask if they will rent a room that is "out of service". Hotels will have rooms that are not up to their co. standards, (missing towel bar, tv inop, no iron, .....) and they will rent if you ask. They usually have extra cell phone chargers if you forget yours. I have been successfull in finding a room when a hotel has no vacancies. Have a good time at the fest. Ed

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Day2 - Woke up Sunday, and parked the car in the corner lot at the hotel to clean up the glass/paint.

Had one person ask where he needs to go to schedule the detail job for his car. Possible buisness venture in hotels? mobile detail service?

Parked at the show and shine, finally registered, and with the money saved from the hotel room picked up some TDIclub stuff for those back home.

Show and shine was cool. Expected way more cars. Seemed a little quite. The event lacked some music. I thought of cranking up the tunes in my car, but didn't think everyone would have enjoyed my taste in music.

Judging had me confused. Not much feedback or interaction at all. Totally weird. I saw a couple people come by with clipboards and look at the car. I asked if they had any questions, or wanted to see anything else. Nope. I've attended and participated in shows in Orlando, Atlanta, Ocean City, Farmington, Las Vegas, LA, and all over Ontario. Never has a judge not had a question, or wanted to hear what was done to a car. How else would they know? Ex. my 4dr Golf had a leather interior from a 2003 Jetta GLI. Not just seats, its everything: door panels, arm rest, 3-spoke wheel, shifter, ebrake. Leathers were never available or optioned out on a 4dr or TDI Golf. Just cloth. I did the intall/swap. How 'bout the 18' 5x112 OEM Huffs? Custom localy machined 4140 steel adapters. I did the final machining to the final offset. Koni coils (yes i drove 20hrs to/from at that height, it's a daily driver)? the imported Hella Glass MK5 look HID lights? R32 tails? How do the judges know what they are looking at? I did see one squeeze a finger between the front tire and fender looking for dirt. Tight fit!

When the show was over had to head back home. Lots of cool stuff in the raffle, never seen that before at a show. I saw a abandoned building on Saturday, while on my hunt for a car wash. So i returned for a few pics before hitting the interstate.

The drive home was uneventful. Crossing the border was great. Almost no line-up. The customs agent looked in my hatch asked what was what, (ohhh thats a clutch kit, a couple of 5th gears, some oil, filters, and stuff). No problem. Just filled up with duty free diesel and headed home. :D

I would like to thank the OH folks for putting this on. Although i wasn't there for all the events, i had a great time. Met a lot of cool people.

thanks,
Pete

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Couple more from Sunday:

Last time i drove through Ohio, March 7,2008.
Destination: Peachtree City/Reynolds for a Dyno Day/Show/Race:

Pete

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Nice meeting you at the fest Pete. I love your pics and car! My brother and I talked to you a lot at the fest about your wheels and car. Hopefully you can pick some stuff up from H20 for me.

I was also a little confused about the judging characteristics for the show and shine. I have some of the same improvement ideas as you, ie. more cars and music. My brother took 2nd in passats so he was happy.

Clint

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
In regards to the show'n'shine, you point about the judging criteria is a good point. I was asked about this before the show and realized this hadn't been well communicated to all so we'll have that set for next time. We judge on the condition of the car/how well it has been cleaned as well as a factor for the milage. As for what has been done on the car that is is more an informative item so no dependedent on judging.

As for music, provided we can get the equipment for a reasonable cost that's an interesteding idea (if we can agree on a music type)...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
These "judged" TDIFest events are more of a 'judge's choice' and far more informal than a show only event. In addition most TDI at these would be in the 'stock' classification. These fest shows just aren't big enough to have separate stock, modified, and radical classes.
In 'stock' there isn't much modification about which to boast, and modifications would be a point deduction in a more traditional show's stock class anyway.
In other, more hard-core car shows, touching the vehicle is forbidden. The last thing a judge needs is an exhibitor complaining about damage due to a judge poking or prodding something. If you as an exhibitor want to show the cleanliness of your undercarriage you pulled a wheel or set up mirrors. If your car is so slammed that the inner fender can't be seen, then the judges can't judge it and you receive zero points (or take the maximum point deduction). If your hood is down to show the ghost flame paint, the engine bay can't be seen and zero points for engine is that score. If the hood is all the way up to show the engine, then the front paint edge can't be judged and the hood gets zero points. Did you ever wonder why all the cabriolet roofs were left half open? Shows the roof AND that it can open.

As far as personal entertainment goes (whether it's the music I like, or if it's that crap that you prefer): NO! If you can hear my music in your assigned space, my music is too loud. Ask me to turn it down. I'll do the same if I can hear yours in my spot.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Was there music in the Judges' Lounge?

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Cshell said:
Nice meeting you at the fest Pete. I love your pics and car! My brother and I talked to you a lot at the fest about your wheels and car. Hopefully you can pick some stuff up from H20 for me.

Clint
Nice meeting you guys too!

Let me know what you order, from who, and your shipping address. Have the vendor keep it in the shipping box. I can pick whatever up on Saturday, and ship out to you same day. I don't want ot be dragging it around all weekend. I'll have to check if there is a UPS/Fedex nearby.

Lug_Nut said:
These "judged" TDIFest events are more of a 'judge's choice' and far more informal than a show only event. In addition most TDI at these would be in the 'stock' classification. These fest shows just aren't big enough to have separate stock, modified, and radical classes.
In 'stock' there isn't much modification about which to boast, and modifications would be a point deduction in a more traditional show's stock class anyway.
Ummmm, stock? Taking a look around i didn't see anyone with Stock, Stock, Nothing, listed on their windshield cards. Everyone had mods listed in the exterior/interior modifications, handling/engine performance modifications, and other sections. :D

I think the only stockers there were the '09 TDI's from Virginia that took a beating all weekend. :p

Pete

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
petea4 said:
Ummmm, stock? Taking a look around i didn't see anyone with Stock, Stock, Nothing, listed on their windshield cards.
I think the only stockers there were the '09 TDI's from Virginia that took a beating all weekend. :p
Pete
And I missed you, too...
Mine was "stock", "stock", and nothing. You should have come by.

The graphics on the VWoA cars aren't a VW option, so even those were 'modified'.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Seems like a lot of wasted money on graphics if they're all going to get removed at the dealer. :confused:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Well, as I understand, the idea is that people will see the graphics when the car's on the dealer lot awaiting pickup, or something.

Magi'sGolf

TDI
2005 GOLF TDI GLS; 2004 Golf GLS TDI, TOTALLED on her way to western Europe to be parted out.
2008 TDI Fest

I wasn't able to go to the Fest this year, but after seeing the photo of all the Golf's with hoods up...OMG...I will be there! That was a sight to behold!

Um...I'm in love with a car... a GOLF TDI..and apparently not just mine...every one I see!!

Is that bad?:D

Blueberry is stock...tires replaced (all 5) by former owner.

filters replaced by me...everything sles...factory installed, as was.