Missing VAG-COM USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
My VAG-COM cable is missing at the moment and it was left sitting on the Rocketchip table right outside the RV next to my labtop and when I returned from the Road Rally the only things remaining was the charger for the laptop and the laptop itself.

It's a Ross-Tech VAG-COM USB + CAN and was neatly wound and velcroed next to my laptop.

I don't care who has it and if someone mistakenly or accidently grabbed it and forgot to return it, not a problem. I just want it back.

So if you could either return it to the front desk or one of the promoters that would be fine too. If you're up to it you could also return it to Jeff or me. I promise I'll just be glad to get it back.

Thanks for any help on this matter, since I've only had VAG-COM for 2 weeks now.:(

Eric

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I'm going to consider my VAG-COM cable official stolen at this point and time.

I received a donation from some of the other members at TDIFest 08 that heard my VAG-COM cable was "missing"

I would like to give a BIG Thanks to those members that donated money to help me get a new VAG-COM cable. I'm really impressed with the effort that the promoters gave to raise money.

Another Thanks goes out to RichC for his help on getting the leg work done and mailing the donations to me.

EDIT: By moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I was standing there when rocketchip jeff picked up the computer & vag com cable & said "I don't know who's this is, anybody want a computer & vag com?". The owner of the a5 he was chipping said "I'll take if nobody else wants it". Of course I thought he was kidding. Maybe not. There was also another dude that sure looked like he was going to take it, but I was talking with Jon Hamilton & didn't watch very close.
Anyway, sorry you lost your cable. Maybe it should have been put in the camper instead of on the table with the vw stickers. I know rocketchip isn't responsible for left items, but jeez he should have put it in his trailer.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Under what circumstances would Jeff EVEN BE REMOTELY RESPONSIBLE for his stuff? Give me a break....You obviously don't know Jeff and his sense of humor. But as bad as it is why would anyone leave the stuff sit out? That's a lot of money that might grow legs.....Theft is wrong, ask me and Bruce who both lost a lot of $$ in tools at the 05' fest. But you gotta take responsibility for your OWN stuff. 3L3M3NT you can drop me a check for the $65 in shipping and the $50 for getting your ECU out and fed-exing them on my time to Jeff. That's cheap considering it was 2 hours.....

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I wasn't trying to insinuate the Jeff was responsible for the loss. Just pointing out what I saw. I completely agree there's only one person responsible for your stuff & that's you.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonTDI said:
Under what circumstances would Jeff EVEN BE REMOTELY RESPONSIBLE for his stuff? Give me a break....You obviously don't know Jeff and his sense of humor. But as bad as it is why would anyone leave the stuff sit out? That's a lot of money that might grow legs.....Theft is wrong, ask me and Bruce who both lost a lot of $$ in tools at the 05' fest. But you gotta take responsibility for your OWN stuff. 3L3M3NT you can drop me a check for the $65 in shipping and the $50 for getting your ECU out and fed-exing them on my time to Jeff. That's cheap considering it was 2 hours.....
I'm not blaming anyone for what happened and I know I shouldn't have left my VAG-COM and laptop on Jeff's table. So in that respect I know it was my fault for leaving my stuff out.

On the other hand I didn't know there were a bunch of kleptos out there snatching up peoples stuff. So in that respect I think that at a function that people come to learn, share knowledge and have a good time is a pretty crappy deal when they have to steal from other club members. Just my .02

Jason you have a PM coming your way

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I had sympathy for your loss, but no more.
The attitude I sense from your posts, despite your claim that you aren't blaming any "klepto mother****ers", is that you don't care that you allowed yourself to be victimized, that you want to blame other attendees for your mistake.
I expect that I won't again make my mistake of donating to an ingrate.:mad:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
3L3M3NT said:
I'm not blaming anyone for what happened and I know I shouldn't have left my VAG-COM and laptop on Jeff's table. So in that respect I know it was my fault for leaving my stuff out.

On the other hand I didn't know there were a bunch of klepto mother ****ers out there snatching up peoples ****. So in that respect I think that at a function that people come to learn, share knowledge and have a good time is a pretty ****ty deal when they have to steal from other club members. Just my .02
Take it easy man, you don't know who took it nor you do not know if they stole it or just took with them to give you back when they see you post about your lost cable. Don't be too quick to judge others. If you found something on road does it mean you stole it, no? if you are honest person, then you will try to find the owner and give back what you found.

I have lost misplaced a lot of tools in years, but I don't go and post that someone stole them, it was my responsibility to check if everything is in its place. Heck, last January I had my camera and all accessories with backpack stolen out of my car, was worth over $2k. It was my mistake, i didn't double check if I lock the car or not, lesson learned. Its life bad things happen.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I too dropped a VERY tiny 10mp camera in a black case in a clients car. I KNEW it had to be there since that was the last place it was known to be. He looked and swore it wasn't there. 6 months later he did find it in the car when doing a serious cleaning. The case was the size of a deck of cards and the black carpet hid it. I had nobody to blame but myself. I appreciated his honesty in returning it to me when he found it.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Can't you ask the people at Ross Tech to disable it's license so if who ever has it tries to use it they will not be able to ???? The current version of their software is pretty smart .

And I feel for you as others do > I throw darts and have some very expensive sets ~$200 each that never leave my hands or pockets as they could walk off . Not from one of my friends but someone just happens by and sees them unattended .

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
rotarykid said:
Can't you ask the people at Ross Tech to disable it's license so if who ever has it tries to use it they will not be able to ???? The current version of their software is pretty smart .

And I feel for you as others do > I throw darts and have some very expensive sets ~$200 each that never leave my hands or pockets as they could walk off . Not from one of my friends but someone just happens by and sees them unattended .
Already talked to Uwe about this and hopefully they are dumb enough to try and register it. Or use it within distance of a wireless network, so it will show up. I'll be checking back with Uwe in a week or 2 to see if someone has and where.

And I'm sorry, but it was stolen. You don't accidentally forgot that you walked of with a neatly coiled VAG-COM cable. It's called theft. I didn't miss place it or leave it in someones car and forget about it. It was pretty obvious to me that when a item is located in between two items that go together such as a laptop and its charger that the VAG-COM cable probably bellongs to that person.

As for you Lug_Nut who have I blamed??? Have I pointed fingers or said others should have been watching........ No I have not. I'm fully aware that it's my fault at what happened, but did I expect something like this to happen at a venue that is supposed to be TDI enthusiasts coming together to have a good time, learning, sharing and what not. Not getting sticky fingers and walking off with other members stuff.

So in that respect I think I have every right to be mad at what happened.

EDIT: Moderator cut out useless wordage.

Last edited by a moderator:

tttthumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Off subject a bit.

I play pool, and have a couple of expensive pool cues. One night while I was playing I had turned around and saw one of my cues gone. It was right next to my other pool cue. I remembered just before, that someone was packing up their cues close by.
I caught this guy before he walked out the door, and asked him not very nicely , "Did you pick up an extra cue". I saw it in his hands and just took it back. His response. "oh I thought it was Joe's cue and left it behind and was taking it for him."
So even though I know he was being a thief, there was a small possibility that maybe he thought he was doing something right and not stealing.

/rant

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
tttthumper said:
Off subject a bit.

I play pool, and have a couple of expensive pool cues. One night while I was playing I had turned around and saw one of my cues gone. It was right next to my other pool cue. I remembered just before, that someone was packing up their cues close by.
I caught this guy before he walked out the door, and asked him not very nicely , "Did you pick up an extra cue". I saw it in his hands and just took it back. His response. "oh I thought it was Joe's cue and left it behind and was taking it for him."
So even though I know he was being a thief, there was a small possibility that maybe he thought he was doing something right and not stealing.

/rant
Sounds like he was making something up to cover his behind.

I wish I could have caught the person in the act of stealing my cable, but wasn't so lucky.

Like I said lesson learned and I now know not to leave stuff out or borrow stuff at a GTG or if I ever go to another TDIFest.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Sorry for your loss, but I think it's time to lock this thread. I feel that it can go off on tangents quickly, and bring negative vibes.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I was leaving this thread open as a way to keep an open line of communication regarding 3L3M3NT's loss - in case anyone had any pertinent or helpful info, such as the post about having Uwe disable...as I would not have thought of that.

However if this continues to serve as a rant fest (well off its original intent) then by all means this will be shut down.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
Its important to note that the events outside were not closed off to the general public although a bunch of strange looking people staring at TDIs would scare off most sane people. ;)
I saw several people wandering about the parking that I did not recognize from being at the registration desk. They could have come from any of the other events at the hotel or just curious individuals from the street. The VAG-COM is not unique to TDIs or to VW. I don't think its fair to limit your leaving stuff around/borrow policy to just TDI GTGs and TDIFest.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
CoJoNEs said:
Its important to note that the events outside were not closed off to the general public although a bunch of strange looking people staring at TDIs would scare off most sane people. ;)
I saw several people wandering about the parking that I did not recognize from being at the registration desk. They could have come from any of the other events at the hotel or just curious individuals from the street. The VAG-COM is not unique to TDIs or to VW. I don't think its fair to limit your leaving stuff around/borrow policy to just TDI GTGs and TDIFest.
I too noticed that there were other people wandering around too, so who knows, but most people wouldn't have a clue what it was for.

As for other events that I would used my VAG-COM cable for would be personal use or to use it on a friends car, so I would have it at all other times and I won't be borrowing my new vag com cable to anyone so no worries there.

TDIoily

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
wow that just took a whole 2 seconds to find your vag com cable. You are lucky that people are honest. Lesson, take care of your crap and accept the responsibility of ownership.As is common in many large events, things get lost, stolen, misplaced, borrowed, randomly found... whatever... This year there were several things that "went missing" that people would like to have back.

1. a VAG-COM USB Cable - It was sitting by a laptop on the table in front of the Rocketchip RV - owner went to rally, it went missing! laptop and charger still there.

2. a scope was borrowed and passed around to allow you to see into the pistons (forgive my lack of knowledge on the proper name of this tool). It was passed, and passed, and passed some more, and seems to have disappeared. If you have this scope in your possession, please contact a member of the TDIFest committee.

3. Sunglasses - not nearly as valuable or expensive as the latter 2 items, but they are dear to me. They went missing on Friday night. They are Native brand, silver frame with darker lenses.

They were a recent birthday gift, and I would like them back. If you've seen them, please let me know. The same goes for all the items posted in this thread. :cool:

"I tried being good, but then I got bored."
- Thanks V's! :D

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIoily said:
wow that just took a whole 2 seconds to find your vag com cable. You are lucky that people are honest. Lesson, take care of your crap and accept the responsibility of ownership.As is common in many large events, things get lost, stolen, misplaced, borrowed, randomly found... whatever... This year there were several things that "went missing" that people would like to have back.

1. a VAG-COM USB Cable - It was sitting by a laptop on the table in front of the Rocketchip RV - owner went to rally, it went missing! laptop and charger still there.

2. a scope was borrowed and passed around to allow you to see into the pistons (forgive my lack of knowledge on the proper name of this tool). It was passed, and passed, and passed some more, and seems to have disappeared. If you have this scope in your possession, please contact a member of the TDIFest committee.

3. Sunglasses - not nearly as valuable or expensive as the latter 2 items, but they are dear to me. They went missing on Friday night. They are Native brand, silver frame with darker lenses.

They were a recent birthday gift, and I would like them back. If you've seen them, please let me know. The same goes for all the items posted in this thread. :cool:

"I tried being good, but then I got bored."
- Thanks V's! :D
Did I miss something here? So then who has my vag-com cable and how did it only take you 2 seconds to find it and how would you have even known if you found the correct vag-com cable, since I never posted the Serial #???

Obviously I'm a little confused with you post TDIoily, so if you could clarify that would be great, since I have no new PM's or any replies that I'm aware of:confused:

And how many times to I have to post this..............WHEN HAVE I NOT TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT HAPPENED AND WHO HAVE I BLAMED???

You people make it sound like I'm blaming other members that were at Fest for what happened.

Did I complain about it. Yeah a little
Did I expect something like this it happen at TDIFest. NO
By making this post I was hoping that someone did accidentally take it and not realize it was someone's cable. I was hoping to get help, but I've gotten nothing but critizism and how it was my fault and allowed myself to be victimized, blah, blah, blah...........

So if one more person posts that I need to take responsiblity for my stuff I'm going to loose it.
I'm normally over protective of my stuff. So I guess in my head I didn't think leaving it where I did was going to be a problem, but I should have known better.

SO PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU CAN HELP ME GET MY VAG-COM CABLE BACK OR KNOW WHO HAS IT OR WHERE IT IS!!!

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
TDIoily probably misread your post about 'your new cable' thinking you found it.

Public thread means you open yourself to public comment, so you have to take the good with the bad, not that I condone beating a dead horse here.

You can lock this thread if you think it's served its original purpose.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
You might as well go ahead and lock it, since I highly doubt I'm getting my cable back.

If someone does want to come forward they can always PM me and I promise I won't be mad at them and just be glad they came forward and if they could just ship it back to me that would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.