Compression test @ the fest?

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone at the fest would be able to help me with a compression test. As shown in my signature, mine is a 97' Jetta 1Z. I guess I could go and borrow one from a local auto parts shop and do it myself, but I don't imagine I will have the time before the fest anyways.

As far as I have read, you need:

Compression tester
Battery Charger (I have a trickle charger, not sure if that would supply sufficient power though)
VAG-COM to clear codes
wrenches, etc

I can crack open the glow plugs and re-tighten them before heading to the fest just to be sure they won't be frozen. If someone doesn't feel they need to watch over me then if I could just borrow someone's tester for a bit at the fest I would be happy. But I wouldn't mind one of the many gurus helping me out and giving me insight during the process.

TIA,
Blake

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's not a good idea to take your car apart so far from home. Snap off a glowplug or strip one of the holes, and life's gonna suck.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
I suppose that's true...that's why I was going to make sure they weren't frozen before heading out. Life would suck either way if one of those things happened.

Ah well, maybe I will just borrow one locally and do it here then...unless someone can assure me that nothing'll go wrong at the fest ;)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
On your car the injection pump has to be de-timed to take out the #2 injector (on the IDI's you remove the injectors to do the compression test). I would really save this test for home.

-Jason

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
IDI? Mine isn't an IDI, and the bentley article for this clearly states (for 1Z, AHU):

Compression, checking (engine codes 1Z, AHU)
  • Disconnect fuel cut-off valve on Diesel injection pump.
  • Disconnect harness connector for quantity adjuster on Diesel injection pump.
  • Remove all glow plugs using 3220 hinged socket.
  • Install VAG1323/12 adapter in place of glow plugs.
  • Check compression using US1110 compression tester.
I still think that there's really nothing that can go wrong as long as I make sure the glow plugs are not seized before leaving home. But if the concensus is that it shouldn't be done, that's what I'll go with...

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Oops, for some reason I misread the engine code. I must have spent too much time workin on my ECO lately, I've got IDIs floating around in my head.