TDIFest OH-8 (2008) coming to Mason, OH

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
This is going to be Labor day weekend. Traffic around Chicago is going to be hell. Anyone coming from N or W of Chicago... This is what google is going to tell you to do. Don't do it. Do this instead. Not only will you save $.80 in tolls, but you'll save the headache of 80 traffic on Labor Day weekend. Ex used to live in Channahon and coming from Lafayette or Terre Haute that way was MUCH faster.

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Can we have some contests like a vendor mud wrasslin' pit or vendor paint ball war?

It is one thing for vendors to argue over products, but to see them literally fight to be crowned "King of the Hill" should prove quite entertaining... :p :D :D :D

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
volmaniac said:
I Not sure DCIX would work,...
Bid for TDIFEST 609? :eek: When does the registration open?

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Hamsterdiesel said:
Congratulations, guys! It's looking like a fine time in Ohio will be had by all!

Let me know if you there are any questions I can answer...

Julie
ditto on all accounts. I'm here to help advise in any capacity I can.
I'm already saving my pennies for a plane ticket!

Let's see... Me, Hamster, Haiku, LilDev', MrsChill, and Anjettica (if she can make it :)) all under one roof, in one building.... at one gathering, and none of us are working it.... oh yes, it will be fun, guaranteed... it will be fun! :D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Zippy_car said:
Let's see... Me, Hamster, Haiku, LilDev', MrsChill, and Anjettica (if she can make it :)) all under one roof, in one building.... at one gathering, and none of us are working it.... oh yes, it will be fun, guaranteed... it will be fun! :D
no, no No, NO, NO! There are 5 separate buildings on the property. We're gonna separate y'all as far apart as possiple! ;) :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
paramedick said:
no, no No, NO, NO! There are 5 separate buildings on the property. We're gonna separate y'all as far apart as possiple! ;) :D
I count six names. Six people, five buildings. You might have a problem here. :eek:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
darkscout said:
This is going to be Labor day weekend. Traffic around Chicago is going to be hell. Anyone coming from N or W of Chicago... This is what google is going to tell you to do. Don't do it. Do this instead. Not only will you save $.80 in tolls, but you'll save the headache of 80 traffic on Labor Day weekend. Ex used to live in Channahon and coming from Lafayette or Terre Haute that way was MUCH faster.
The last two years on the eastbound trip, I went through the Chicago area in the middle of the night.
However, I am looking at this as a one-day drive, leaving from the Twin Cities area about 3-4am on the Thursday.
I plan to keep tabs on traffic reports once I get to Madison and make a decision about what route I intend to take. I could go through the city (the Dan Ryan and Kingery projects are done), I could take the Tri-state (construction done from around the 163rd St. toll to the Indiana line), or I could take 290 and 355 to 80 (355 recently opened from 55 to 80).
The traffic reports really do help; I detoured around a crash that was blocking eastbound I-90 at the Marengo toll based on this information.
Also, I am looking for information on what the PM rush is like on 465 (Indianapolis) and 275 (Cincinnati).

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
vikingrob: Also check on I-65's status - it's been under construction on the north end where it connects to I-80/94. Been some bad backups on the entrance ramp to I-65 South which spills onto I-94 for a few miles (like to the IN/IL state line) at times as it's one lane to Merrillville. A friend of mine tried it a couple of months ago and was stuck in that section for TWO-plus hours! :eek: I'm not sure if INDOT will be redoing other parts of I-65 next summer even if they finish this section up so be advised.

I don't keep tabs on I-65 as I never use it - if I'm going to Chicago I-94 works just fine (at the right times of course) and if headed to central Illinois use some state/US highways instead. If I have to go to Indy US 31 is the way even with the Kokomo traffic light gauntlet. I rarely ever go to Indy so no idea on I-65/I-465/I-70 status down there.

Just a reminder to you and others to check on I-65 status up in northwestern Illinois when the time is closer. I'm sure you do your research to avoid trouble areas like this - just wanted to point this out as everyone focuses on Chicago as being the problem area when NW Indiana can dish out some traffic grief at times as well. :rolleyes:

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Peter V, Lug Nut, Tomo, haven't you all made the fest every year? Is it just me or does the Ohio Fest not look to be one of the best as far as something for everyone? Kids, historians, oh, yeah, and diesel enthusiasts as well.

Dave

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
paramedick said:
Cabin tent in the recreation area for Zippy.
LOL
how about I just set up camp in the courtyard b/w the 5 buildings? That seems innocent enough. :rolleyes:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Awesome! Only 400 miles for me. When TDIfest was in WI, I didn't even own a TDI, so it's nice to get another chance that's close-ish.

tollers

TDI
1998 TDI New Beetle
vikingrob said:
Also, I am looking for information on what the PM rush is like on 465 (Indianapolis) and 275 (Cincinnati).
I-465 can be bad at rush hour, but it beats the alternatives, and it's nowhere near as ugly as dealing w/ Chicago. In general, no matter how bad I-465 looks, it will be faster than taking surface streets, so I don't recommend trying to detour around slowdowns unless you're hearing that there's an accident that has multiple lanes closed.

Also, I'll second the recommendation to check the entire I-65 corridor for construction delays before heading down... I went to Chicago a couple of weekends ago and hit construction in two spots (northbound) before getting into the mess at the I-80 intersection. That particular part should be cleared up by September, but you never know where they may be building. Having a map and being willing to strike off on secondary roads can save you considerable time during some of these backups.

MrsChill

Zippy_car said:
ditto on all accounts. I'm here to help advise in any capacity I can.
I'm already saving my pennies for a plane ticket!

DON'T FORGET THE FRUIT PUNCH!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Hmmmm ... I'm off work for 4 weeks at the end of August and into September next year and I've always wanted to go to a TDI Fest. Kind of a long drive though. Maybe Fred and I can caravan out there if he's willing to drive it. We can pick up some fellow TDI'ers along the way and make it a convoy of TDI's! I've always wanted to do a cross-country road trip. Could be a possiblity! Whadaya say Fred? Road trip? :D

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Can't wait

Bob_Fout said:
Any IL peeps convoy planned?
I will be leaving from Normal, Il if everything goes right :)
This will be my fourth TDI Fest in a row.

Use to go to Kings Island every year for about 3 or 4 years with my friends and their familys. A great time was had by all.:) Kind'a hoping I can talk a few of them to come along although we are a good deal older now and a few of us have grown a little wider than we use to be.:eek:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
TeDeEye1 said:
I will be leaving from Normal,
Will be leaving normal? Your sig indicates that you are a veteran member and only now you're planning to leave normal? Most of us here on Fred's left normal long ago!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Did someone say fruit punch? Hey Lawson, you recovered from this year's fest yet? :D

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Oh man, my wife is going to kill me, 835 miles. I'm hoping to bring the wagon. Wonder if I can make it on 3/4 of a tank. :)

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Yeah, the New England to Cincinnati drive is the perfect length for one of those fabled A4 800 mile club runs!

MCA

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Long ago

Lug_Nut said:
Will be leaving normal? Your sig indicates that you are a veteran member and only now you're planning to leave normal? Most of us here on Fred's left normal long ago!
Believe me, living here is as close as I get:)