Check engine light: Throttle Body Diaphram

a-train

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Took it to a shop and they told me the diaphram was broken and not holding vacuum, so I need a new throttle body. They want to charge $350 for parts and labor, does this sound right?

Anyone know where I could buy a throttle body?

Is it easy to fix?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There is no throttle body on a TDI. Did they mean the EGR valve?

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
RUN from that repair shop and find a TDI guru near you. What are your symptoms that caused you to go to a repair shop?

John C

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
MOGolf said:
There is no throttle body on a TDI.
It is not the blinker fluid that bends... but the mechanic... There is no blinker fluid...

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
If this is a TDI.... as others have said, there is NO throttle body on a TDI. RUN from that shop. Post here what your issues are, somebody here can point you in the right direction. We can find you folks who have access to a Vag-Com that can read the exact trouble code... then we can send you to a trustworthy mechanic who can fix it correctly.. the first time. So.. let us know what the symtoms are.

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
Then your next step should be to go to someplace like AutoZone and get the fault code read. Post it here and we'll help diagnose your problem.

The CEL only indicates you have some sort of problem. Given the car runs OK, it could be something like the temperature sensor failed or glow plug general fault (indicating the harness needs cleaning) - both of which I have had :p .

John C

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
My xtal ball tells me that it's an EGR code. If you were to look at the EGR housing, you might think it's a throttle body since there is a plate in there that looks just like a throttle plate.

But it's not the same thing.

a-train

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Ok, so I finally took it to AutoZone and had them run the diagnostics.

These are the codes they told me:
1441, 0402.

This is what the printout says:
The PCM has determined that there is excessive flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system. (For code 0402)

The ECM has detected vacuum flow to the Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) sensor during a system sealed condition. (For code 1441)

Any help would be appreciated, since I don't have a throttle body! ;)

By the way, I don't know if it matters, but every now and then, the check engine light either turns off or doesn't come on. In fact, after I picked up my car from the shop that told me I needed a new throttle body, the light didn't come on for two days. So I hurried and had my emissions tested (because it was due) and passed.

Thanks again!
Adrian

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
if the diaphragm doesn't hold pressure, its broken.

New EGR valve should be ~$125. Labor should be no more than 1hr. Probably closer to .5 hr.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You don't have a fuel tank pressure sensor either.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yeah, they do, but it is the usual opacity testing. My niece failed hers after the testing shop printed results that claimed 60% opacity. Ha. This from a car you could not see any smoke from. The car was taken to a dealer (they didn't check with me first!!!) who told them (her dad and herself) to buy a MAF sensor. He bought it, but further checking with a VAG-COM while driving showed the current one was working perfectly. So he has a new MAF sitting there.

Anyway, the real fix was to take it to a different testing location, who pronounced it just fine with less than 1% opacity.

a-train

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Ok, since I don't seem to have any of these parts that I am told are either failing or need to be looked at, can anyone suggest somewhere where I can take my car to find out why the CEL is on???

I clearly know nothing about cars, and would prefer to not get screwed when trying to fix my car. :(

At least I didn't pay for the test at AutoZone ;)

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
there's a section here with listings of people who have VAG-com and know how to use it, you can search by state for the closest one, get their contact info and give 'em a call. several people have come to me regarding VAG-com help and it's a pleasure to oblige, most folks will help you out.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
BTW: the codes you got (Pcodes) mean something different for a diesel motor than gas. I don't have a code list in front of me, but it should be findable. Somewhere.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yea, if the diaphragm is leaking, then the EGR valve will stay closed (or not open enough) so the EGR flow will NOT be excessive, it will be too low. Too bad you have to get this fixed. Its actually better for the engine.

--Nate