In desperate need of help in Columbus, OH

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
At the recommendation of someone on the mid-west forum, I'm posting here. Anyone coming back through who can help???

------------
We were up this weekend for a vintage base ball festival and are supposed to be leaving tomorrow. However, as we were attempting to leave the festival today, our 03 VW Jetta wagon refused to start. It won't turn over, etc. We know there is an error code being thrown of P0228. According to Autozone, this is the throttle position sensor.

Is there anyone who can tell me what this is, how it can be fixed, and if there is anyway to get it fixed in order for us to drive home to St Louis tomorrow?

If not, the plan is to rent a Uhaul trailer and have a friend tow our car back tomorrow. It's going to be a tight fit for all of us in his truck, though, so we'd prefer to get it fixed if at all possible. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!

Courtney

Last edited:

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
While I can't be of much help in terms of fixing the car -- I'm in no way skilled enough nor do I know enough about the throttle position sensor -- I am in Columbus, OH if you need a place to gather people and parts and knowledge.

Hope all gets fixed for you soon.

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately or fortunately, that doesn't sound like the problem. The car won't start at all--it actually doesn't do anything. When the key is in the off position, the clock and odometer are on. As soon as you turn the key, everything turns off and the engine does nothing. When the car was hooked up to another battery (jumping it), when the key was turned the dash lights (CEL, etc.) did come on and the engine did click a couple of times. Other than that, nothing.

MOGolf (bless the man--hasn't he driven enough this weekend?!) drove over at 7:30 this morning to check it out. His initial assessment is the battery so the guys are headed to buy a new battery and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestions!

Courtney

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Hooray for MoGolf! He drove back & Forth all weekend to fest..

Deserves a Medal! SOlid gold as big as his heart!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks to MOGolf for helping me out this weekend too... Left my Vagcom at home and tripped a CEL on the way to the fest. he hooked me up!

MCCOLMSTED- Glad to hear you got going ok. I've never had much luck jumping a TDI either.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You're welcome Courtney. Let us know that you got home safely.

I understand that you and the hubby won't be at Old Navy's GTG this year. Enjoy your other plans.

-------
Removed the battery and checked for corroded grounds. Examined connections at starter and back of alternator. No problems found.

Hooked up VAG-COM and found the system reporting 9.xx low voltage. Probably a dead cell.

I offered to take the battery home and try to properly charge it, but the decision was made to try a new battery.

Looked in my TomTom for the nearest place. Autozone came up with its phone number.

We called them. They had a couple of 94R batteries.

Went there with the old battery. Looked identical to the replacement except the replacement doesn't have the useless green indicator, nor tape over the caps.

Went back with the new battery and installed it.

Car started right up.

Rechecked with VAG-COM and system voltage was 14.2x. Revved the engine up a few RPMs and the generator load readings and voltage indicated the alternator was working properly.

We had a chuckle that the Autozone computer listed the battery replacement as "labor intensive". Based on that, we wonder what they'd list for a timing belt. It took them longer to actually find the battery than for me to remove the old one.

The TPS code was probably a false code due to low voltage. It did not return while I was there. There was also an engine start blocked by immobilizer code. Both cleared after the replacement battery was in.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
MOGolf you freaking RULE. Thanks for the quick mod on the windows and coming through for a member in need.

Tony B

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
MOGolf said:
We had a chuckle that the Autozone computer listed the battery replacement as "labor intensive". Based on that, we wonder what they'd list for a timing belt. It took them longer to actually find the battery than for me to remove the old one.
I suppose they would also think that replacing the back bank of plugs on an air cooled vw motor to be labor intensive too! Ha!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I talked to mcolmsted. They all made it home safely with no further problems. :)

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks again to MOGolf for his great help!! It's amazing (and frustrating) that something as simple as the battery had us completely stranded because we had no good way to diagnose it. Makes me think I need to get a VAG-COM ;) . But then I wouldn't get to watch the generosity of club members like MOGolf, who saved the day with his willingness to help. :D

Thanks again to everyone who offered help and suggestions, and most importantly to MOGolf who got us back on the road!!

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Q. So how many miles DID you put on the Passat this last weekend Glen? :D You are the Master!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't keep accurate records, but the Golf probably got about 250 and the Passat got about 500. The help mission was about 60 miles total additional.