is it possible to make--Audi A3 TDI

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
I showed my hubby one of the car mags I read and it had in there the Audi A3 is coming to America. We both absolutely LOVE this little thing and are wondering how easy would it be to transplant a TDI in there? I know it would cost some bucks, but really, we need to know!!!! This would be the answer to our "perfect vehicle".

(before you say "you already have a Golf TDI, which is the same thing"
the Audi we love the look of and it has Quattro. I have asked how likely is it for the Golf TDI to arrive with 4-motion and the answer was "it won't, period", just the GTI VR6 may get it)

How much $$$? Can anyone here transplant it? How reliable will it be since the warranty would be voided? I believe the A3 is coming here in 2003 so it'll give us some time to save the $$$.

Thanks for your help!

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Golf Girl ]</p>

ScoobyX

Veteran Member
In the UK and Europe we already have Audi A3 TDi in 100, 110 and 130 bhp forms although no quattro variant unless you move up to the A4 2.5 TDi 180bhp

I am sure they should offer some sort of diesel variant when it comes to US markets although no 4wd?!?!

Regards

Sunil

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: ScoobyX ]

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: ScoobyX ]</p>

Silverarrow

Veteran Member
Earlier on this year I nearly bought an imported Audi A3 TDi90 (same engine as you have in the states).

Lovely refined machine seemed a nicer drive than the Golf (better classier interior) and handled a bit better.

In the end I bought a UK Spec Golf GT TDi 115 as I was getting a 6 speed box, Traction control, more equipment in general, longer warrenty and 2 years interest free credit.

Putting one of your TDi 90bhp engines (say from a crashed VW)into an Audi A3 should just be a straight swap. With maybe some gear ratio and ancillary modifications.

The logic of Buying a new petrol (gas he he) Audi A3 to do this with would be very marginal at best.

Dont worry I am sure the poor diesel fuel/no hi tech diesel cars problem in the U.S, will be sorted sooner rather than later.

The U.S, will eventually need to cut its C02 emissions (as part of a new worldwide agreement) and probably diesel cars will be a big help in achieving this

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
http://www.audidiesels.com/current_stock.htm

OK, after finding this and seeing there is 2 A3's--and a couple 150hp's I am salivating over
-- could a person living in North America buy one from United Kingdom? That would be easier than a transplant, I think... Never mind, I just realized I'd be driving on the wrong side...
"not that there's anything wrong with that" (Seinfeld)

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Golf Girl ]</p>

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
"I am sure they should offer some sort of diesel variant when it comes to US markets "

ScoobyX, I read somewhere that Audi would indeed FINALLY bring in the A3 to the U.S.A., but that they would NOT bring in any diesel variations of this model. In fact, Audi does NOT sell any form of diesel engine in the U.S.A. at this time.

Indeed, the lack of TDI engines is the sole reason I will not consider buying an Audi. Meanwhile, I consider my Golf GLS-TDI to be a pretty SCHWEEET ride.