Injector innards, trouble starting

Internaut

TDI
'98 Jetta
So I had the injectors out to clean them, as I figured would be good to help tune up the car.. well as I took them apart I may have misplaced a washer or something because it seems like no fuel is being injected. I even took pictures and took it one injector at a time.. I also did a fuel filter change and did the normal procedure.. filled the filter full of diesel. I tried cranking the engine for at least 10 minutes.. but all I got was a couple burps.. I cracked all four fuel lines and cranked for a long time to let any air out but that did nothing but spray fuel all over the engine bay.. so I was curious if maybe someone had a diagram or anything to show exactly how the injector innards go together..

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
If you got the shims in the wrong spots there is no sense trying to get it back together. The opening pressures will be all wrong. You'll need to get it either calibrated or replaced. There really is nothing inside the injectors that are worth cleaning and the risk of negatively effecting the spray pattern is very high. You really should have your injectors pop tested.

Internaut

TDI
'98 Jetta
Well it seems to run good enough for me so I'm not overly concerned about it. If I ever replace the nozzles, I'll calibrate the injectors. Thanks