Current buy back timeline?

jp77texags

TDI
14 each, 2015 Touareg, 2015 Beetle, Passat, Jetta, Golf., 2014 Passat and Jetta, 2013 Passat and Jetta, 2012 Jetta 3 each, etc.
I just returned 4 TDI's, yesterday and today.

On these 4 returns, I received my formal offer letters on 18 April 2018.
Return to dealership dates 24th and 25th of July.

Hair over 90 days.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
I would highly recommend that you select the buyback option and get the paperwork completed ASAP, if you have not already gotten this ball rolling.

While you wait on paperwork approval, buyback date and such, you should have sufficient time to purchase your next vehicle before you turn in your car.
I agree. I was holding out as long as possible figuring I was saving myself a monthly car payment and putting miles on the TDI instead of my new car. But now that the deadline is fast approaching, I immersed myself into the information stream to figure this out. So...as everyone here probably already knows, all your paperwork has to be uploaded by 9/1/2018. Once you get the offer letter, that offer letter has to be signed and returned by 12/1/2018. Once they've confirmed receipt of signed offer letter, you have the choice to setup a return date. The car has to be returned by 12/30/2018 or you chance forfeiting your claim.

So, I went ahead and uploaded all the necessary documents and I await the offer letter. My intent is to sign/notarize and return promptly, as to meet the second deadline. Then I'm probably going to snag a car on the side no later than late October. I will probably setup a return date somewhere around mid to late October.
Thanks for the replies and the "encouragement" (haha!) to stop procrastinating & get 'er done. I'm assuming the process will be fairly straight-forward since I'm the sole owner & bought it outright. Assuming. Ahem!

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Thanks for the replies and the "encouragement" (haha!) to stop procrastinating & get 'er done. I'm assuming the process will be fairly straight-forward since I'm the sole owner & bought it outright. Assuming. Ahem!
Just make sure you dot your I's an cross your T's. Instructions on the portal are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. I submitted paperwork for 2 cars and received offer letters within 3 business days.

I'd say being the original owner makes it much easier for them to verify your information and offer you a bundle of cash.:D

Now, if only all the other websites on the internet were as easy to navigate as the VW Portal, without scrolling endlessly to avoid the ads and other video nonsense, just to read a few lines of script.:(

Last edited:

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
Just make sure you dot your I's an cross your T's. Instructions on the portal are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. I submitted paperwork for 2 cars and received offer letters within 3 business day.

I'd say being the original owner makes it much easier for them to verify your information and offer you a bundle of cash.:D

Now, if only all the other websites on the internet were as easy to navigate as the VW Portal, without scrolling endlessly to avoid the ads and other video nonsense, just to read a few lines of script.:(
Yep, it was surprisingly straight-forward and painless. All I needed to do was scan (that was actually the toughest part, lol) & upload my title, registration and driver's license. Don't think I missed anything, so I expect to get an offer sooner rather than later. Thanks!

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
About 2 weeks start to finish on paperwork.... just now need to set appointment. Looking at Movember as of now.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I do not have a scanner.
Will a high-res iPhone X photo be accepted in lieu of scanning??
A scan is just a picture really. Take a photo with your phone and submit it - if they won't accept it then find a friend with a scanner or go to a print/ship store (FedEx or UPS Store for example) that has a scanner. Keep in mind some computer printers can also scan.

Just make sure the notary stamp shows up on the original. I went over mine lightly with a pencil to make it more legible as it did not show well when I did my first scan. VW accepted it with no redo's required.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
08/01/2018 UPDATE: So, today I received my offer letter. Turn around, from uploading necessary documents to receiving an offer letter, was a swift seven days. Not bad. I just finished printing out the entire form, signing and having my coworker notarize. Already uploaded. So, I guess at some point (probably by the end of the week) I'll get another email stating I can pick a return location and return date.

That could not have been any easier. Just glad I had decent scanners around to scan this stuff in. I would have hated to look for a place to scan or having to mail the stuff in. Yay, technology.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
In NY the notary stamp is fine.
Well, apparently it wasn't.

Just got a "Notarization Invalid" notice email. In one place it says, "The notary seal must be clearly legible."

Then, if I go to [FONT=&quot]visit the Online Claims Portal, it says:[/FONT]

Requires Action: Notarization invalid

Resolution: The notarization that you have provided is invalid (e.g., missing state, county, name of notary). Please print a new release, which you can access with your original offer letter at the top of this page, and have it properly notarized. Once you have done so, please upload, mail, or fax the complete offer letter package.
[FONT=&quot]BTW, the State, County and Name of the Notary were clearly set forth in several places. So I guess it's the lack of a (legally meaningless) Seal that caused the problem.[/FONT]

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
You 100000% need a seal. Otherwise you can just fill out notary information by hand and no one would know the difference.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
You 100000% need a seal. Otherwise you can just fill out notary information by hand and no one would know the difference.

The Notary did stamp the Release with her official stamp, which indicates her name, the State, County, Notary ID #, expiration date, etc. And moreover, she signed it.

As a matter of law, a seal is of zero legal significance. It has a very official look to it, but it means zero from a substantive legal standpoint. It doesn't make the notarization more legal or more official. But I guess that doesn't stop bureaucrats from demanding it, nonetheless.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
08/01/2018 UPDATE: So, today I received my offer letter. Turn around, from uploading necessary documents to receiving an offer letter, was a swift seven days. Not bad. I just finished printing out the entire form, signing and having my coworker notarize. Already uploaded. So, I guess at some point (probably by the end of the week) I'll get another email stating I can pick a return location and return date.

That could not have been any easier. Just glad I had decent scanners around to scan this stuff in. I would have hated to look for a place to scan or having to mail the stuff in. Yay, technology.
I’m tracking with you. Just received my settlement offer email, one week after uploading my documents. I’m out of town & need to wait until next week to download, print, sign & notarize. (Hopefully the notary seal issue mentioned by someone else won’t be an issue!) We can choose a buyback date a few months out, right? That’s my plan. Still, I should get going on looking for another car!

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
Well, I dropped off my car at the local VW dealer today. I was a little sad turning it in, as I really didn't have any problems with it, and it was a fun little car to drive.

Appointment went as described in this forum. Brief phone call to VW to verify people, switch to iPad application, take pictures of all forms, video of car moving around and overall condition.

Assuming the electronic funds transfer goes smoothly, this should all be over by the middle of next week.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
I’m tracking with you. Just received my settlement offer email, one week after uploading my documents. I’m out of town & need to wait until next week to download, print, sign & notarize. (Hopefully the notary seal issue mentioned by someone else won’t be an issue!) We can choose a buyback date a few months out, right? That’s my plan. Still, I should get going on looking for another car!
Yes, from what I understand, you have till Dec 31, 2018 to return the car to complete the buyback transaction. So I would assume you can return anytime from now till then. My intent is late October, but I might not even wait that long. Waiting on a good financing deal from VW to jump into a GTI. The minute that drops all bets are off.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Yes, from what I understand, you have till Dec 31, 2018 to return the car to complete the buyback transaction. So I would assume you can return anytime from now till then...

You sir, are correct, with one caveat.

To anyone who hasn't completed their application, do it NOW. You have until September 1 to have a COMPLETED application on file. If a document you upload is rejected, you need time to rectify the situation. If they request more documentation, you need to provide it before that date. You do not want to miss this deadline. Personally, I'd make sure that my signed/notarized offer letter was approved by that date. After the receipt of the "schedule your appointment" email, you can delay the actual turn-in until a time that fits your needs.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)

To anyone who hasn't completed their application, do it NOW. You have until September 1 to have a COMPLETED application on file. If a document you upload is rejected, you need time to rectify the situation. If they request more documentation, you need to provide it before that date. You do not want to miss this deadline. Personally, I'd make sure that my signed/notarized offer letter was approved by that date. After the receipt of the "schedule your appointment" email, you can delay the actual turn-in until a time that fits your needs.
At this point (August 4th), this needs to become a sticky in big black letters. Underlined. We completed our application back in 2016 sometime, and only a few weeks ago did I choose the turn-in date, which is next Tuesday. No reason not to have the registration done.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Just remember that if you do intend to turn in your car or trade it in and you have an accident which cannot be fixed or insurance won't fix and totals the car, you are screwed. There is a sad story of an owner who got in accident, car was totaled bgt it back from insurance co and wants to put it back to VW for restitution and normal buy back value from VW. VW is rejecting the junk title,so a battle goes on.

There is a risk of continued driving and there is big money on the table.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just remember that if you do intend to turn in your car or trade it in and you have an accident which cannot be fixed or insurance won't fix and totals the car, you are screwed. There is a sad story of an owner who got in accident, car was totaled bgt it back from insurance co and wants to put it back to VW for restitution and normal buy back value from VW. VW is rejecting the junk title,so a battle goes on.

There is a risk of continued driving and there is big money on the table.
Yes, this risk is real. Everything you state is correct. What is the actual risk? Not large. I am 74 years old, and there is some statistically calculable risk that I will croak of something before I get to turn in the car on Tuesday. As with the car, I'm willing to risk it. Furthermore, I believe that many people have registered and postponed the turn-in, and absolutely nothing untoward has happened to most of them.
This is another example of a marginal risk of the type we take every day. Tomorrow is not promised.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Yes, the risk of a total loss on the car is real. The option of driving the car 1,042 miles per month with no reduction in buyback value is also real. I've owned cars for 49 years and never had a total loss. I no longer commute at rush hour; my car is parked in my garage (as opposed to on-street parking) every night. My risk of total loss is less than many (who commute to a job and park on the street) so I opted for the free 1,042 miles per month.

I originally intended to take advantage of the free mileage until near the bitter end. However, President Trump's threats of tariffs on cars imported from Germany caused me to worry that I'd be saving hundreds on depreciation but losing thousands on the cost of the replacement car. So I bought a Buick Regal Sportback (assembled in Germany) on July 16. I opted to turn the VW in at the first convenient opportunity; it goes back to VW on August 8 because I don't want to insure a car I'm not driving.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

I originally intended to take advantage of the free mileage until near the bitter end. However, President Trump's threats of tariffs on cars imported from Germany caused me to worry that I'd be saving hundreds on depreciation but losing thousands on the cost of the replacement car. So I bought a Buick Regal Sportback (assembled in Germany) on July 16. I opted to turn the VW in at the first convenient opportunity; it goes back to VW on August 8 because I don't want to insure a car I'm not driving.
The tariffs weren't on our horizon when we pulled the trigger on a new car. The Sportback was on our short list, and we drove it. Very nice car. We ended up with the Honda Accord Touring, which we've had about a month now. The Passat goes back Tuesday, at which time I will of course cancel the insurance.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Rico,

The Accord is very nice and drives very well, plus it has Honda's legendary reliability and longevity. I felt I really needed a liftback/hatchback/five-door configuration not available in the Accord. The Civic is a bit smaller and the styling on the Civic Hatchback just doesn't do it for me. I considered the Kia Stinger and really liked it,too. But I decided the Regal met more of my criteria. Purchased one on 8/16 and my Sportwagen TDI goes back to VW on Wednesday.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rico,

The Accord is very nice and drives very well, plus it has Honda's legendary reliability and longevity. I felt I really needed a liftback/hatchback/five-door configuration not available in the Accord. The Civic is a bit smaller and the styling on the Civic Hatchback just doesn't do it for me. I considered the Kia Stinger and really liked it,too. But I decided the Regal met more of my criteria. Purchased one on 8/16 and my Sportwagen TDI goes back to VW on Wednesday.
We really liked the Sportback for the hatch, in the past we owned several SAAB hatchbacks, and really enjoyed the utility...the same reason we considered holding on to check out the Arteon when it arrives. But the Accord just struck us as the right car for us, and maybe we were ready for a change. Tomorrow the Passat goes back to VW.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I would suggest a second caveat: You can turn in up to December 31, assuming you can schedule an appointment up to December 31. Not only are many dealers no longer participating, but those that are seem to have limited availability. I have seen many dealers that only offer one or two days a week with appointments; these dealers also did not have any appointments after December 14.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Ugh...waiting on the approval of my notarized offer letter. Just sitting on my hands for now. errrrrrrrr....driving me nuts just waiting. I reread it a bunch of times. I noticed the notary didn't enter in the state or county in the witness section. Not sure he was supposed to. Other than that it's got the stamp and everything is filled in.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
If you already have a replacement car, does it makes sense to keep the old car sitting around till December? Do you get more money each month it sits? You still want to keep it insured for comprehensive and minimum required liability. Not sure if that all makes sense.

Can anyone help me out here?