I need another new turbo

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
Looks like I'm going to have to replace my turbo, for the 2nd time, in 2 months. Anyone got a good deal on a replacement? Whether it be a stock replacement, or an upgrade?
Thanks in advance. :(:(:(

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
A PD140 turbo is what I would recommend; it'll need a tune so there's no CEL, other than that it is a direct bolt on and much more robust. Make sure to track down the reason the other two blew before dumping any more money in turbos.

Who built the previous turbo and was it installed by a certified mechanic? If you answered yes to either, it's time to review the paper work, there might be a 90 day warranty on the repair or turbo.

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
Andrew Moore, who runs a shop in canada sent me the turbo. He told me I would be able to get a replacement if it blew within 6 months. I sent him a message, and he said since my car is tuned that he wouldn't be able to replace it for me. So i was pretty upset.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The OEM turbo should not die in 2 months. Either it was installed incorrectly or it wasn't rebuilt properly.

Buy the PD140 turbo and be done with it.

I have this turbo with a Malone stage 4 tune, EGR cooler delete and Darkside downpipe and I average 43mpg and I drive my car hard. I generally go 80+mph on the interstate with a lot of WOT. I also do about 20% city driving and still average 43mpg.

Last edited:

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
It wasn't rebuilt. It was "certified used". I don't have the money for a new pd140. The turbo was installed properly.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Let's try and consolidate your other thread here.
So, my turbo appears to be fine, both inducer and exducer look healthy, and there is minimal shaft play, but I have oil coming out of my exhaust, and acrid white smoke. Does this sound like blown turbo seals, and what are my options?
Thanks
Yup, that sounds like a blown turbo. Sounds like there might be too much oil pressure, or an issue with the drain. I'd check the oil level to make sure it wasn't over filled, make sure the CCV isn't plugged, and check your oil drain and feed lines.
So, gotta replace the turbo, right? Can't just replace the seals can I?
Replacing the turbo would be the wise choice. Replacing the seals as a DIY project will more than likely end up as a waste of time.

One of two things happened, either your replacement turbo was a dud, or blowing turbos is the symptom of a larger problem. Be sure to find the answer, if it's the latter, then you'll need to diagnose and correct the problem before installing the new turbo.

Denomenator

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The OEM turbo should not die in 2 months. Either it was installed incorrectly or it wasn't rebuilt properly.

Buy the PD140 turbo and be done with it.

I have this turbo with a Malone stage 4 tune, EGR cooler delete and Darkside downpipe and I average 43mpg and I drive my car hard. I generally go 80+mph on the interstate with a lot of WOT. I also do about 20% city driving and still average 43mpg.
Would a stage 2 Malone tune work with a pd140?

thanks