www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 15th, 2017, 06:57   #1
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Default anyone advise against a '15 GSW?

i asked this off-topic in another thread, so starting anew:

a bit off topic - any reason i shouldn't consider going for a '15 GSW with 10 or 20k on odometer? plenty available in low $20's, which would pocket us several thousand after A3 buyback... wondering if prices will be even more attractive come holidays
'01 Passat Wagon V6, dark Blueish Grey? 120k
St.Hubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:49   #2
kevkor2002

I'm very happy with my GSW so far. I just hit 12K miles and counting. Time will tell of my wisdom to get the DSG over the manual I kinda wanted but oh well. I really like that too so far. Easily my fav automatic trans I've ever been forced into piloting. If you are happy with the VAGs you've owned previously I cant see why you would balk at the '15s. If you haven't been happy with previous VAGs then your signature is one of a masochist.
kevkor2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:18   #3
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

ha, i am a bit of a masochist at heart, but our '10 was an absolute gem for 60k and 5 or so years. i actually like it more than the "nicer" A3 we're flipping. only issue at all was glitchy window controls, which i guess comes standard in most VW productions!

i wish the GSW had the same comfy sport seats as the MKVI, but if all else is pretty much the same, i'm sold. especially with the prospect of a stage 1 + DSG tune.
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:52   #4
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Hubbins View Post
a bit off topic - any reason i shouldn't consider going for a '15 GSW with 10 or 20k on odometer? plenty available in low $20's, which would pocket us several thousand after A3 buyback
You should be able to find a new one for that price. List on a "S" is around $26,800, $5000 rebate and $500-1000 discount puts you in low 20's. And you can get 72 months financing at 0%.
Old August 15th, 2017, 14:09   #5
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
You should be able to find a new one for that price. List on a "S" is around $26,800, $5000 rebate and $500-1000 discount puts you in low 20's. And you can get 72 months financing at 0%.
really, do tell. or are you talking about gassers?
Old August 15th, 2017, 15:03   #6
Angus1

I was able to buy a 15 tdi gsw s 7k on the odo, 6mt plus got them to throw in heated seats for 20k out the door. Keep looking the deals are out there.
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 15:37   #7
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
really, do tell. or are you talking about gassers?
No TDIs. These are the ones VW couldn't sell due to the cheating fiasco. I know the dealer in Tallahassee, Florida still has at least 8 TDI GSWs and other dealers probably have them as well.
Old August 15th, 2017, 18:45   #8
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiemartin View Post
No TDIs. These are the ones VW couldn't sell due to the cheating fiasco. I know the dealer in Tallahassee, Florida still has at least 8 TDI GSWs and other dealers probably have them as well.
which dealer? Capital shows zero GSW TDI.

i'm seeing a handful of lightly used (which i'm leaning toward) around the states, but not many NOS.
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:12   #9
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
which dealer? Capital shows zero GSW TDI.
Yes, Capital Euro Cars. It's best to call or email. They don't show up on the dealers websites because they are too old. But, if you do a little searching, you can find them.
Quote:
i'm seeing a handful of lightly used (which i'm leaning toward) around the states, but not many NOS.
You are going to have to dig a little more to find the new 2015 TDIs but they are out there. I know someone looking for a car, so I was corresponding with my salesman yesterday. He told me they had 8 new TDI Sportwagens left in a variety of colors. All DSGs. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:02   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Also do the lease and pay if off after the first month, you'll pocket about 2300 more off the sticker.

VW should be offering 8500 off if you lease.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:32   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

VW had some odd rules about posting the fixed new cars on web sites managed by VW, which is true for some dealers. There are still a few new ones on cars.com. Manuals are really rare, however.

Funny, people complained about the rebate amount when VW released the unsold '15s. Now they're happily paying more for a previously titled car with miles on it.
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:15   #12
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

thanks Bobby, that helps. found one a bit closer with preferred color combo.

so VWofA is offering $3500 off on lease in addition to $5k rebate? i'm game!
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:05   #13
Bob S.
Veteran Member

In looking at Car.com last evening, I was surprised at the number to stop sale cars are still available, virtually all DSG.
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:24   #14
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Funny, people complained about the rebate amount when VW released the unsold '15s. Now they're happily paying more for a previously titled car with miles on it.
Probably different people! My guess is that if a person passed on the new stop sale cars they probably think that the buy backs are too expensive too. I am really surprised at how expensive the buyback cars are being listed for.

My local dealer Seacoast VW has them priced at basically new car prices, with none of the VW incentive prices. Then again I seem to see the same cars listed day after day so it doesn't seem to me that they are actually moving them at those prices.

Personally I have analysis paralysis about the whole thing. My current thinking is to wait (and hope) that the fixed Gen 1 buyback cars will be more affordable given that they are older. Plus I'm really not in a hurry to get anything.

And I've read differing opinions on the JSW vs. GSW's. Some people feel very strongly that one or the other engine and platform is better. I think that I like the GSW lines slightly better, but its a toss-up. I really don't care for the look of the GSW interiors with that metal looking dash material which is used for the S and SE's (SEL's have black). The lack of readily available 6MT's in any configuration is also a turn-off. I loved our JSW 6MT and think that I'd be kicking myself if I settled for a DSG knowing that 6MT's are out there somewhere!
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:28   #15
740GLE
Veteran Member

Drive the GSW then drive a JSW, GSW wins hands down on the refinements of the Mk7, even if you have to get a DSG

As for the drive line, its a toss up. Many of the gremlins of the Gen 1 are known, Gen 3 maybe still to new or have already been corrected in the design changes.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote