Mini Bixenons in my New Beetle!

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
New Headlights have arrived!
Mine are being shipped today...thanks for the headlight source.

Could you post a pic of where the dab of silicon needs to go for
sealing purposes?

Can't wait to see how your FX-R's turn out.

Cheers!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Mine are being shipped today...thanks for the headlight source.

Could you post a pic of where the dab of silicon needs to go for
sealing purposes?

Can't wait to see how your FX-R's turn out.

Cheers!
Sure, I'll try to post a pic or two later tonight.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
James what are the four points that you are sealing?
These are the connection points between the lens and chrome trim piece attached to the lens on an aftermarket brand of headlight (DJ Auto). I had a leak at one of the connection points, so as a preventative measure, I recommend a dab of silicone on each point, just to ensure that it doesn't leak.

This is the aftermarket headlight I used in my Mini H1 retrofit, and I just bought another pair for the FX-R retrofit, to avoid any downtime.

The particular set of headlights I used for the Mini H1 retro is ~ a year old, they are what I replaced my worn-out original headlights with.

They are not bad and currently $154 a pair-shipped! Sure beats OEM prices.

James

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Another Youtube Clip of the Mini H1 Retrofit

Here's a link to another youtube clip. As I had to make a middle of the night trip, it allowed me extended use of the high beams. The last ~ 20 seconds of the clip is low beams.

If you'd like to estimate the headlight's reach (range), it's easy.
At 68mph you travel ~100 feet/second. In this video clip, I'm traveling over 68mph, but to keep it simple, let's just call it 100 feet traveled per second.
During the video, pick a landmark, such as a signpost where the road appears illuminated. Time it (in seconds) from the point it appears illuminated until the car is even with it, then multiply by 100. That's an easy approximation of the distance, in feet, of the headlight's range.
BTW, I can easily see over 100 feet further than what the camera is capable of "seeing", or detecting.

Also, I left the radio playback alone so you can be sure I didn't tamper with the playback speed of the video.

At the beginning of the clip, notice the little, illuminated speck at the right shoulder. It grows into a road sign that I meet @ ~ 26 seconds. That's approximately 1/2 mile! (2,640')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7K62AtJbY

Another note: The high beams are so bright that you need to switch to lows within 3/4 -1/2 mile of meeting on-coming traffic. I'm serious! Makes me wonder what the FX-R is going to be like @ 55 watts!

James

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Well now, I'm not sure of your intentions, but I do find many of your comments offensive.
You come across as nothing more than a wanna-be know-it-all troll, and, I doubt that you have any personal experience with the Mini H1 projector. I do have such personal knowledge.
Further, I'm confident that I've researched the topic sufficiently to not need to be "schooled" by a jackleg such as yourself.
James
I was just offering some advice from someone who has been in the automotive lighting business for years, but since you have bought one light and read a few internet sites, I guess there is nothing left for you to learn. I am sorry you are offended by knowledge. You should go into politics or religion, you would be a hit there.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I was just offering some advice from someone who has been in the automotive lighting business for years, but since you have bought one light and read a few internet sites, I guess there is nothing left for you to learn. I am sorry you are offended by knowledge. You should go into politics or religion, you would be a hit there.
No sir, you weren't offering anything, you were talking down which is akin to calling me "stupid".
Not only that, but you put down the Mini H1 & my $15 rebased H1 capsules, which I believe the video clips have proven otherwise.

And yet, here you go again - you're the expert and I'm just a noob.

In this neck of the woods, we call that "being a dick".

Last edited:

gamefoo21

TDI
'98 Beetle... Shoulda been a TDI..
Love your Blazers. I've thought about modding my fogs with Micro DEs or Blazers, as they are worthless to me, as stock.
I just wanted to point out that as far as functionality, the fog lights on the Beetle are an excellent design, their beam pattern is one of the best for their task.

Their task? Low visibility conditions improvement. Why they are called fog lights, they light the area right in front of the car and the near sides, so in dense fog you can stay on the road.

Butchering them with 'HID' bulbs to convert them into glare monster, near field overload lights, would be just simply silly.

I'll keep my opinions about the low percentage of the proper use of fog and/or driving lights(they are not the same) by the general public to myself but I do believe their should be some form of proper education not a sales goon trying to push margin improvers.

Edit: I'm not a sales goon, just someone who hates having to wear sunglasses at night when some tard decides to shove HID's into reflector housings. I've been looking at a way to impove upon the Beetle's lousy USDM headlights, and so far I'm really liking the results you are getting with your projector retro-fit. It's either that or importing some european front fenders to go with a set of 'upgrade' assemblies. :lol:

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I just wanted to point out that as far as functionality, the fog lights on the Beetle are an excellent design, their beam pattern is one of the best for their task.

Their task? Low visibility conditions improvement. Why they are called fog lights, they light the area right in front of the car and the near sides, so in dense fog you can stay on the road.

Butchering them with 'HID' bulbs to convert them into glare monster, near field overload lights, would be just simply silly.

I'll keep my opinions about the low percentage of the proper use of fog and/or driving lights(they are not the same) by the general public to myself but I do believe their should be some form of proper education not a sales goon trying to push margin improvers.

Edit: I'm not a sales goon, just someone who hates having to wear sunglasses at night when some tard decides to shove HID's into reflector housings. I've been looking at a way to impove upon the Beetle's lousy USDM headlights, and so far I'm really liking the results you are getting with your projector retro-fit. It's either that or importing some european front fenders to go with a set of 'upgrade' assemblies. :lol:

Hi Pat, who you think you're fooling?

Naw, the Beetle's fogs are junk. Heck, they're absolutely craptastic!
That's why new, good cars come with real fogs lights - projector fogs.
Micro de's or blazers will blow the Beetle's fogs away, any day, any weather.
And the xenon (HID) version of Micro de's are so good, Hella gets a zillion $ for them.

As soon as I can, I'm gonna butcher the heck out of those crappy excuses for fog lights and turn them into real fog/driving lights! (just like I have done to those crappy headlights-watch and learn!)

As a matter of fact, I could probably make better fog lights with 2 drops of superglue & a pair of lightning bugs (fireflies to some folks).

James

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
James:

You are replying to someone else. If you bothered to read my posts, you would note that I did NOT imply the NB lights were very good at all. However, since you have opened the subjects:

There are NO HID micro DE fogs. Those are driving lights. You need to learn the difference if you are going to use them as intended. This is not a problem peculiar to you as an individual, Americans (and Canadians) even at the OEM level have very, very poor understanding of illumination and night vision - and no desire to learn anything about it. I DO remember sampling some microDE HID fogs at SEMA maybe 10 years ago, but when imports started, there were no fogs. I believe the Optilux HID fogs ARE in fact, the same light.

Yes, I slagged your rebased H1s, and I will continue to slag ANYONE who is proposing to put HID rebased bulbs into a vehicle being driven on public roads. As I took great care to explain to you, there is NO SUCH STANDARD, so people making them are free to do whatever they want dimensionally - and that is exactly what they do. Further, again as I explained to you, there is no physical ability for an HID capsule to duplicate the required geometry to work in a reflector designed for incandescent (inversely related to size - i.e. smaller is worse). If you chose to ignore that, you are not only illegal, you are part of the whole problem that WILL eventually get the aftermarket shut down by the US NHTSA (there are ongoing investigations now).

If the simple truth is offensive to you, maybe you should stop and think about what you are promoting. Let me qualify that with that I think retrofitting can be done safely and properly, but you need to be aware of exactly what it is you are doing. You should also be aware that it is not legal. But, neither is speeding, and I dont think we are going to get anyone to stop that, either.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
James:

You are replying to someone else. If you bothered to read my posts, you would note that I did NOT imply the NB lights were very good at all. However, since you have opened the subjects:

There are NO HID micro DE fogs. Those are driving lights. You need to learn the difference if you are going to use them as intended. This is not a problem peculiar to you as an individual, Americans (and Canadians) even at the OEM level have very, very poor understanding of illumination and night vision - and no desire to learn anything about it. I DO remember sampling some microDE HID fogs at SEMA maybe 10 years ago, but when imports started, there were no fogs. I believe the Optilux HID fogs ARE in fact, the same light.

Yes, I slagged your rebased H1s, and I will continue to slag ANYONE who is proposing to put HID rebased bulbs into a vehicle being driven on public roads. As I took great care to explain to you, there is NO SUCH STANDARD, so people making them are free to do whatever they want dimensionally - and that is exactly what they do. Further, again as I explained to you, there is no physical ability for an HID capsule to duplicate the required geometry to work in a reflector designed for incandescent (inversely related to size - i.e. smaller is worse). If you chose to ignore that, you are not only illegal, you are part of the whole problem that WILL eventually get the aftermarket shut down by the US NHTSA (there are ongoing investigations now).

If the simple truth is offensive to you, maybe you should stop and think about what you are promoting. Let me qualify that with that I think retrofitting can be done safely and properly, but you need to be aware of exactly what it is you are doing. You should also be aware that it is not legal. But, neither is speeding, and I dont think we are going to get anyone to stop that, either.

I'm not a psychologist either, but I'm smart enough to know that you exhibit all the traits of someone with a superiority complex.
Superiority Complex: a feeling of superiority or exaggerated self-importance, often accompanied by excessive aggressiveness, arrogance, etc. which are compensation for feelings of inferiority.

While I personally can't help you, there are professionals who understand that you are crying out for help. With proper counseling and medication, I'm quite sure they can get you past this.

The hurdle you must overcome is understanding and admitting that you have a problem and seeking treatment.

Hope you get well, soon.

James

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
It is a lot simpler than that. It is just a lack of tolerance for pure BS when it affects the hobby and highway safety.
The only BS is being dished out by a hateful little troll, that'd be you.
The only thing you can't tolerate is being proven that you're wrong & full of yourself.

I'm sure you'd like everyone to believe that whatever overpriced crap you peddle is the only way to go. Bet it chaps your butt that a noob with $120 projectors & $15 HID capsules can make a set of lights that perform as well as, if not better than most. Even doubly so since you've made such an effort trying to knock them only to be proven that you don't know what you're talking about, or you're just an outright liar.

So far as highway safety goes, I think at least one of the multitude of state troopers & local police I've passed would've done something if my lights were a problem. Kinda shoots down your safety B.S., huh?
Or do you consider yourself smarter than the police, too?

Another tell-tale sign of a problem would be if I had been flashed.
Hmmm, haven't been flashed, not even once, in the over 1,000 miles of night driving with the Mini H1 retrofit.

Keep trolling & posting your lying BS, you're only making yourself out to be a fool.

James

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Look, James, show me a published industry or government standard for a rebased bulb of ANY kind, and I will take you seriously and appologize humbly. Until then, you are spewing missinformation by the boatload.

For decades, the industry has produced products that were designed, tested and certified that made tremendous improvements in safety for those who bothered to spend the time and money to use upgraded lighting. The advent of hoards of ricers and their totally irresponsible (mostly Asian) suppliers has set back safety and made the industry and the hobby the target of legislators for very, very good reason.

But, I guess you have read the internet and know better.

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Look, James, show me a published industry or government standard for a rebased bulb of ANY kind, and I will take you seriously and appologize humbly. Until then, you are spewing missinformation by the boatload.

For decades, the industry has produced products that were designed, tested and certified that made tremendous improvements in safety for those who bothered to spend the time and money to use upgraded lighting. The advent of hoards of ricers and their totally irresponsible (mostly Asian) suppliers has set back safety and made the industry and the hobby the target of legislators for very, very good reason.

But, I guess you have read the internet and know better.
And just what missinformation would I be spewing?
I haven't made any claims about standards - don't have to - the result speaks for itself.

Why don't you put your money where your big mouth is and show all of us a better way for anywhere near the same money? Since you're an expert with lighting industry contacts, should be easy for you, no?

Well hell, I'll even be generous and spot you $100. You make your New Beetle headlight retrofit with your government & industry approved crap, and I'll make mine. We'll just let the good folks on this forum decide which is best. How's that?

BTW, I've got $200 in my Mini H1 retrofit - that'd be projectors, shrouds, bulbs & ballasts - & that includes the shipping costs, too.

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
James. which schrouds are u using? The ones Im using Im having to trim the heck out of to fit the fx-r
Hey Richard,
It depends on your mounting method & the shroud.
If you're using a plate as I did with the mini, and if you're using the Orbit or MC-R, you'll have to elevate the projector 8-10mm using stand-offs, or trim about 10mm off the bottom of the shroud.

So, tell me how you mounted & what shroud you're using?

BTW, we're limited on shroud choices unless we get creative.

James

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Im using the same shroud you used with the mini H1, I should have gotten a shorter shroud but like the light coming out from around the shroud, I will just trim to fit. I have the fx-r portion of the plate fabed up now. I just need to pull the headlight again and adapt the mount to the plate. May use a standoff, don't know yet. Love this two going in the same direction, can't wait to see what we have done differently. How thick of plating did you use. I went to Lowes and picked up a small sheet of aluminum sheeting, no thickness on it but it is really thin, will know when I get the mounting bracket out if it will work. Love fabing from scratch, makes me think..lol thats hard for a child of the 60s. They say if you remember it you werent there. I don't remember alot when I lived in SF in 68 & 69, Those were the days my friend. lol
Oh got off subject, the shroud hits the base of the fx-r, dont see a way around trimming it to fit. Spoke with Matt at the retrofit source and he said that is very common with retro fitting.

Last edited:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Im using the same shroud you used with the mini H1, I should have gotten a shorter shroud but like the light coming out from around the shroud, I will just trim to fit. I have the fx-r portion of the plate fabed up now. I just need to pull the headlight again and adapt the mount to the plate. May use a standoff, don't know yet. Love this two going in the same direction, can't wait to see what we have done differently. How thick of plating did you use. I went to Lowes and picked up a small sheet of aluminum sheeting, no thickness on it but it is really thin, will know when I get the mounting bracket out if it will work. Love fabing from scratch, makes me think..lol thats hard for a child of the 60s. They say if you remember it you werent there. I don't remember alot when I lived in SF in 68 & 69, Those were the days my friend. lol
Oh got off subject, the shroud hits the base of the fx-r, dont see a way around trimming it to fit. Spoke with Matt at the retrofit source and he said that is very common with retro fitting.
My aluminum is either 16 or 15 gauge. It's pretty robust. Leftovers from a project from the 70's. :cool: Got it from a guy building a Pitts Special.

The Mini Clubman is about as big as they come! We may have to get a little creative with the shrouds. lol

James

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
<snip> Love this two going in the same direction, can't wait to see what we have done differently.
Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit to see yours, too!
Once you drive with them, you'll wonder how you ever managed without them! Your car is about to become alot more fun!

James

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
sweet, I guess that is the mini clubman that I have. Heading up to Dan144 to change a clutch today. Friends Jetta, time to think about the adapter plate and trimming the shroud. lol

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
sweet, I guess that is the mini clubman that I have. Heading up to Dan144 to change a clutch today. Friends Jetta, time to think about the adapter plate and trimming the shroud. lol
If you're using the same as I did with my MH1, it is indeed the MC-R or Mini Clubman Replica.

The TRS site gives a depth of 60mm for the Mini Clubman shroud.
Using the dimensions of the FX-R: 12mm+20mm+18mm = 50mm
So you have 50mm from the mounting tab to the tip of the lens ring.

That gives 60mm-50mm = 10mm
You may need to take an extra 1mm-2mm off the shroud.

So, you should have about 10mm-12mm to trim off the shroud, or you need some stand-offs that are 10mm-12mm long.

(I edited this-I had originally subtracted instead of adding - opps)

Here's a pic showing the length(s) of the FX-R.
(This pic is by TRSBrad on HIDPlanet.com)
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=328

James

Last edited:

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Just a status check on how the FX-R install is going. No need to reply until
you're finished...do NOT want to interrupt progress.

Cheers!

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Just a status check on how the FX-R install is going. No need to reply until
you're finished...do NOT want to interrupt progress.

Cheers!
Hi Lonnie,

Fabbed up the mounting plates & test fit is complete - all looks good.
But, haven't received my bulbs & ballasts yet, so I can't test the projectors, which is imperative before I go any further.

TRS sent the new generation of FX-R (ver II), but have had some problems with them. The FX-Rs they sent have supposedly been "fixed", but if they aren't up to snuff, I'll ship 'em back and have them send the original FX-R (ver I).

As the original FX-R is dimensionally different than the new version, I'll have to fab new mounting plates if I have to revert to the old version.

So, until my bulbs get here, I'm at a stand-still. Impatiently waiting. lol
Hopefully the D2S bulbs will arrive Monday.

I'll call the owner of TRS next week and see if I can get to the bottom of all this FX-R business. I'll also see if he has some original FX-Rs he can sell on the cheap so I can fab up a mounting plate in case we have to go with them instead of the new version.

I did receive my camera mount today. That should allow for better videos.

So, did you get your new headlights yet? Those guys shipped to me very quickly.

James

Last edited: