Putting AHU in Mk1, can I use Mk1/Mk2 brackets to keep AC and not cut lwr rad support

SRHeer

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf - 2001 Beetle
If you can comment on following either with what you recommend or know and or maybe recomend someone else please let me know! Thanks for your time!

I am wanting to put a mTDI with Rover pump into a VW Mk1 Rabbit pickup. I see where some have cut out a spot in the lower (radiator) support for the AC compressor to fit while using the serpentine belt system however if possible I want to keep AC without cutting into right-hand side of bottom radiator support - can I machine out the Mk1 injection pump bracket to accommodate larger Rover pump hub nose and still have enough clearance for it to clear glow plugs and eng block and all behind? -

Doing away with the serpentine belt system would also do away with harmonic balancer so my next question is can I use the Mk1 or Mk2 pulley bracketry systems for alternator - AC compressor - and power steering?

And finally if I do the serpentine belt delete for AHU what timing belt and tensioner would I need to use? Can I use the Mk1 injection pump bracket and still use a 1.9 timing belt - maybe not because the injection pump bracket for 1.9s juts out farther than the 1.6s - Maybe a smaller or larger diameter tensioner would accommodate one or the other - or it might just best forget trying to save the lower front support frame and go ahead and cut a spot out - if it will be awkward or troublesome to get things to match up or work by trying to use Mk1/Mk2 systems on an AHU motor? Anyone try this or have any suggestions? Thanks

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
In my opinion, it's easier to cut a radiator support than machine a bracket, and change over to the less desirable v belt setup.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Cut the core. It is the path of least resistance. You could probably use the early brackets, but then you would have the dreaded v-belt system with it's own problems.
The early pump bracket is nowhere near as stout as the 1z/ahu counterpart. The added stress of the rover pump might prove problematic.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
^^Ditto, you don't want to keep the v-belt setup, they're just a big pita to mess with. Also, if you keep the v-belts you have to get a new v-belt harmonic balancer and you won't be able to use the clutched alternator pulley.

I'd look at transferring the serpentine setup and deal with either a hose rerouting of some sort or custom front rad support work.

I think in the end you'll be happier keeping all the components that belong to the AHU/1Z.

Steve