B5v - AFN - 6 Speed - Conversion

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Yes, the coolant warning probe is just grounded on one side and runs straight to the inst. cluster. Its in the black connector, you just need to run one wire to it.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Thanks! I got distracted last night, so I'll mess around with it today sometime. :)

A quick excerpt on the CEL/MIL...
My cluster's check engine light wasn't documented in the wiring diagram, but I had read somewhere that it was wired to pin 32 of the blue 32 pin connector on the cluster.
So I pulled out my multimeter and found that t32/32 was prewired to pin 2 of my brown t10 in the rain tray and it was simple enough to hook my ECU's engine lamp ground/trigger wire to pin 2. :)

Here are my wiring notes for any one interested in hooking up a 1999-2000 passat cluster to an old A4 AFN wiring harness. :p
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u-fDwxNI3Gds-nQWcsnDYex3EzrNTlZMvR39yk89aH8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm in the process of doing an ecu swap, I noticed my Passat has those round pin body harness connectors. Do you know if any US cars have these? I'm going to make similar adapters with the round pin on one side and rectangular pin on the other. I have your docs saved and have one of my own started.

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
All 1996 through early 1999 B5's did, with the 81 pin ecu's

I'm in the process of doing an ecu swap, I noticed my Passat has those round pin body harness connectors. Do you know if any US cars have these? I'm going to make similar adapters with the round pin on one side and rectangular pin on the other. I have your docs saved and have one of my own started.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds fun!

Check my document against your correct diagram thoroughly!
I diagrammed out the entire AFN to AEB wiring harness, then I realized my wiring diagram was for an 80 pin ECU! The info should all be accurate for an 80 pin ECU, but I didn't end up being able to test it.

My swap came with a 68 pin ECU, so I made a second page of the spreadsheet with some documentation on that.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
My alternator quit, so I put a 1998 jetta alternator on.... thanks jfettig!
It was a pretty direct swap. Transfer the pulley from the old to the new, wire in another connector, it's just a classic 2 pin third injector connector, and put 2 washers on the back of the alternator bracket, because apparently the AHU bracket is a couple mm thicker than the AFN one. :)

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so I would like to learn more about the alternator exciting on startup.
Right now, the alternator warning lamp doesn't go off, until I've revved up the engine to about 2000 rpm. I noticed that the alternator doesn't start charging on my 4runner ALH setup until I've revved it up, as well....

However, none of my stock TDIs ever had that happen. How can I make this conversion stock? :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'm not the right person to comment on the functionality of the Toyota wiring but I can help on the vw side. The cluster provides 12VDC to the bulb which is connected to the exciter on the alternator. Once the alt is up and spinning (at idle) it begins producing its own current/voltage. Once this happens the current stops flowing through the bulb and the bulb goes out.

I think jimbote or others who wired up a yota swap should be able to help with how the yota alt bulb works. Have you verified that you are getting 12V at the alternator with the key on?

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that all makes sense. I think I understand how the light works. In the toyota, I have a volt meter on the cluster run by the toyota ECU.

My question is, how do I get the alternator up and spinning at idle, producing it's own current, without revving it up to 2000 rpm?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
That is where the exciter wire comes into play. If you don't manually excite the field with an external source it will eventually self excite once the rpm's are high enough. Verify you get 12v on the exciter wire, at the alternator with the key on.

If you want to run a test you can manually provide 12v to the pin while monitoring your charging voltage. Should jump from battery voltage to charging voltage the moment you jumper the exciter pin to your B+.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
oh.. ok... interesting! Here's a few more questions to clarify, before I go extracting the black smoke from my electronics. xD

Am I supposed to have a constant 12 volts to the exciter pin?
Is the exciter pin on the alternator is labelled DF?

What is supposed to supply that exciter voltage in a stock car? The cluster? The ECU?

Obviously, I must not have something wired correctly. To further help diagnose my specific issue... I also, don't get voltage on the fuel shut off solenoid wire from the ECU. I've run a switched 12 volt wire to jump the solenoid for now, but this might be connected to my alternator issue, as well. Maybe I'm missing a 12 volt supply to the ECU somewhere.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool new update!
The AFN AC compressor bolts to the bracket and the AC lines will clear my super big 6 speed 240mm dmf starter motor!

I just had to flip it 180 degrees and pull the brass centering bushings, so it will bolt up! :D

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think so! What are you looking for?
I did get a bit lazy in the middle of the swap and stopped taking as many pictures. XD

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I got you and greengeeker mixed up since you avatar is similar It was like you were continually talking to your self hah SMH at myself.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't anticipate registration problems, but we'll see.

I already changed my title over to a diesel via the 'statement of fact' form, but I need to get a smog check due to it being a 1999, which means I'll have to go see the smog ref cause of the gas VIN. :eek:
I'm driving it on a temporary permit right now.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I'm using the stock cluster. :)
As for my smog ref, I got some problems :eek:
Turns out I need an egr cooler and US ecu... I totally thought the ahu didn't have a cooler :/
I'm going to see if I can fit the whole ahu intake/egr system, if I have that, I should pass, with a proper US ecu

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Yes, I'm using the stock cluster. :)
As for my smog ref, I got some problems :eek:
Turns out I need an egr cooler and US ecu... I totally thought the ahu didn't have a cooler :/
I'm going to see if I can fit the whole ahu intake/egr system, if I have that, I should pass, with a proper US ecu
So swap excuse for smog test? How will the vnt work with the us ecu?

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm! Tempting on the AHH cooler, but I'm not sure that the smog ref will approve.
The emissions have to meet the 1999 standard, so that's why I have to go with the AHU stuff. :)

Most tuners can make a US ecu run VNT... I'm not sure how it would show up on the smog guy's computer, but at least he'd be able to verify that it's a US ECU.

Along with my other 2 issues, I need to figure out my glowplugs... Are all the glowplug relays in the engine harness? There are 2 of them, but from using my meter, it would seem they're both coolant glowplug relays. :/

Anyone have some input on hooking up a glowplug relay in the existing relay panel under the dash?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm not sure what they're after but the AHH cooler bolts to your AFN intake and exhaust.

AHU stuff is wastegate

What style ECU do you have? 68 or 80 pin?

Yes, most tuners can do an AHU to VNT conversion. Make sure you get AHU software with the proper tune.

Glow plug relay should be under your dash, you should have installed it :)
The two in your harness are for the coolant glow plugs.
2 wires going to the relay from the ecu(for 80 pin and edc15 anyway), power and ground to the relay(80a?), 2 wires come out with 40a fuses probably in your harness.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I saw the AHH cooler bolts right up, which is tempting, but the piping is obviously differently oriented, so I'm pretty sure the smog ref would not like the fact that it doesn't match his diagram of 1999 emissions equipment. Maybe if I just was going to a smog shop, I'd be ok...

I have a 68 pin ECU :)

I didn't install the glowplug relay due to not needing them to run :p but I'm going to look through the A4's body harness this weekend to figure out where the glowplug relay will fit in under the dash.

I have 2 large wires, one with an 80 amp fuse and another with a 50 amp fuse. The 50 amp one seems to run straight to the glowplugs and the 80 amp to the 2 50amp relays, which apparently trigger the coolant glowplugs.

Wenderby

TDI
Passat B5 1.9 TDI AFN
Hi Daniel

I have just made the same conversion from 1.8 20V Code ADR til 1.9TDI AFN.
i have have som questions that i hope you can help me with .

when you did install the accelerator pedal sensor did you have to pull out the brakebooster ?

did you find solution for the alternator lamp that dont stop before the engine hits 2000rpms ?

where did you place your H-piece on the fuelline Down by the fuel tank or in up by the engine

Best regards from Casper in Denmark (Scandinavian)

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
I disconnected the pedal cluster from the car, which meant undoing all the bolts on the brake booster. I didn't completely remove the booster though.
I have no solution for my alternator yet. I was wondering if I can just hook up a diode and key on 12 volts to excite the D+ and avoid the power feeding back to the system.

I put the H in the engine bay initially, then moved it to the fuel tank to make it look cleaner. However, I am going to move it back, as I feel that I have considerably less power, since I moved it.

Wenderby

TDI
Passat B5 1.9 TDI AFN
Thank you very much for your help ,
my H i also in the engine bay at the moment but not looking that pretty .
i´am going to put in a OE liftpumpe i my fueltank .

i am going to try the samt with my pedal cluster it is the last ting i need before i can drive my car Again .

i have had another VW Polo TDI not a conversion car it did also do the same
with the alternator lamp so i am not going to do any thing to my Passat for now