My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
I love your build! Question: did the Passat pedal assembly DBW setup fit and clear without any issues? I know there are a few holes needed in the firewall, one stud ground off, and some extra bolts on the Corrado pedal assembly, but I have never seen the Passat stuff in person. Looks like you had to so some minor firewall mods as well - just not sure if it's the same stuff.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Thanks man likewise! Nice choice of car! I actually have some questions for you regarding lifted Mk2's, I saved the B4 TDI suspension with this in mind, although for my Jetta Coupe..

The Passat pedal assembly is nearly identical to the mk2 assembly minus the fact that it is dbw and hydraulic clutch release. There was only one stud that I had to add to the Mk2 firewall in order to have it bolted in 100%. Oh I had to tweak the slot at the end of the column and egg the column mounting holes but other than that it fit perfectly.

What did you use for a cluster? I still have to upload a lot of pictures, modified mk2 cluster bezel included..I have been too busy having fun this summer!

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Thanks man likewise! Nice choice of car! I actually have some questions for you regarding lifted Mk2's, I saved the B4 TDI suspension with this in mind, although for my Jetta Coupe..

The Passat pedal assembly is nearly identical to the mk2 assembly minus the fact that it is dbw and hydraulic clutch release. There was only one stud that I had to add to the Mk2 firewall in order to have it bolted in 100%. Oh I had to tweak the slot at the end of the column and egg the column mounting holes but other than that it fit perfectly.

What did you use for a cluster? I still have to upload a lot of pictures, modified mk2 cluster bezel included..I have been too busy having fun this summer!
I am running the MK3 cluster - just hacked out the stock MKII cluster supports. Not pretty - but it works. :eek:

I hope to have a ton of MKII/MKIII lift info posted on my website soon. I have posted the info so many times on various forums that it's time to get it all in one place. I just want to get pics of all the modded parts up so it's real easy to follow. Lifted coupe huh? that sounds AWESOME! :D

And I'm glad to hear that about the Passat pedals - that's probably going to be my recommendation to anyone attempting this. the Corrado DBW mod is a bit more involved.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Lift a coupe......wait did I hear that right? Ok I'm glad I snagged it

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I cant stand the whole "Hella Flush" Stanced Dubs trend..broken oil pans are not a badge of honor! I like Rally cars better so there you go!

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I actually agree. I was poking fun at Frankencar, for buying my coupe in his town before he had a chance to get there

GTiTDi

TDI
Rebuilding the 1Z for more reliability and power. ALH pistons, porting the head, converting to 7mm stem valves, dual springs, dressed rods...basically improving some of the weak points of the 1Z design..not going for all out power but will hopefully be ready for it when I decide to tune it further!

GTiTDi

TDI

GTiTDi

TDI
Head is back from machine shop...updated to 7mm stem valves, 5 angle valve seats, mild porting, ABA dual spring setup with 034 motorsport valve springs...

GTiTDi

TDI
ALH pistons, NRP rings, Kolbenschmidt bearings, and dressed and polished connecting rods..entire assembly balanced...took these pics a while ago but finally uploaded them...

GTiTDi

TDI
boost gauge location

my new EGT gauge..will even have a warning buzzer and light once I am done with it!

my new lift pump

Last edited by a moderator:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
I love your build, i basically left my motor stock for now, getting it to fit and making everything fit was first, i will spend money on the motor when i finish my build, money goes like water and it seems my bank account seems to always have zero in it....great job keep it going

GTiTDi

TDI
I love your build, i basically left my motor stock for now, getting it to fit and making everything fit was first, i will spend money on the motor when i finish my build, money goes like water and it seems my bank account seems to always have zero in it....great job keep it going
Thanks! I have been trying not to spend too much money on this project, but that is much harder than I thought...

I was checking out the recent photos of your Caddy, looking good on those modernized snowflakes!

GTiTDi

TDI
It is 4-7psi. They recommend it be mounted within a foot of the fuel supply. Mine is mounted behind the passenger side strut tower, works fine.
Cost around 65.00 at AutoZone

Last edited:

2000golftdigls

TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS
Hi GTiTDi,
I discovered your thread and was really impressed with your project! I live in Rockport and have a place in Marstons Mills. Perhaps we could get together sometime. I have a rather stock 2000 TDI Golf that I love. I commute to Wilmington during the week and enjoy the 50ish mileage. I also enjoy working on my car, but when I get stomped, there's Keith Harley in Chelmsford for help.
Happy Motoring!:)
Larry

P.S. Love the pretty girl clinging to the VW emblem!

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Hi GTiTDi,
I discovered your thread and was really impressed with your project! I live in Rockport and have a place in Marstons Mills. Perhaps we could get together sometime. I have a rather stock 2000 TDI Golf that I love. I commute to Wilmington during the week and enjoy the 50ish mileage. I also enjoy working on my car, but when I get stomped, there's Keith Harley in Chelmsford for help.
Happy Motoring!:)
Larry

P.S. Love the pretty girl clinging to the VW emblem!
Thanks Larry!
P.M. me if you are planning to be on Cape! We have bi weekly get togethers in Hyannis if you are interested in talking VW's and diesels! Also If you are in the area and need anything taken care of on the car don't hesitate to contact me as well. The image of the girl on vw logo was found online, I am pretty sure it is supposed to be Betty Page!

GTiTDi

TDI
I still have to upload a lot of pictures, modified mk2 cluster bezel included..
Well after quite a hiatus, I finally uploaded some shots of my modfified mk2 cluster bezel. The mk3 cluster fits nicely in a mk2 dash with the right modifications. Done wrong and they look like scheisse. The solution is often just doing a mk3 dash swap, but unless you have a mk2 with power windows it isn't a viable option. I like to be able to roll my windows up and down with the door shut. Most mk3 dash installs don't allow enough clearance for the cranks!:eek:

I used a spare mk2 glovebox (broken) as a source of material for adding to the bezel. I added material all the way around.

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Sections of glovebox to adapt Mk3 cluster to Mk2 dash

Good looking job!

How about more details of the glovebox to dash adapter? That would be a timesaver for those of us who'd rather follow your example than reinvent the adapter!

I looked at the bottom picture a little more… Did you just extend the shell? By how much?

Does this mean that the cluster fits deeper into the dash than the Mk2 cluster fits? If so, how much deeper?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Good looking job!

How about more details of the glovebox to dash adapter? That would be a timesaver for those of us who'd rather follow your example than reinvent the adapter!

I looked at the bottom picture a little more… Did you just extend the shell? By how much?

Does this mean that the cluster fits deeper into the dash than the Mk2 cluster fits? If so, how much deeper?

Many thanks!
I don't want to take the fun away from figuring it out! :rolleyes:

GTiTDi

TDI
OK, OK, I'll dangle the gold bug from the limb of the oak tree by the light of a 3/4 moon…:(
It is clear what needs to be done when you start fitting it up, start by removing the mounting points for the mk2 cluster, and then fit in the mk3 cluster to see where to start trimming. The mk2 bezel needs to be widened and extended as not to block the edges of the mk3 cluster.

GTiTDi

TDI
got any pics of your Saab intercooler setup?
I take it this replaced the stock B4/mk3 IC?
Yes the stock inter cooler setup is only suitable for stock power levels. It was kind of a waste of time to modify the fender to install the side mount. I should have gone with a front mount from the beginning, but this has been quite the learning experience!

a mix of B4,A3 and SAAB intercooler pipes

The B4 intercooler pipe has just the right bends to clear the dipstick

The turbo outlet pipe from the B4 fit under the A3 intercooler>intake pipe well, used a coupler to connect to the B4 intercooler pipe

The former home of the side mount will house an additional windshield washer reservoir to supply a water/methanol injection setup :D

This intercooler pipe pictured is from a 93 Saab 9000...not the car the intercooler came from..that is a 2000 Saab 95..

I will update later with pictures of my modified mk2 fan shroud..had to ditch the stock fan motor..they are quite bulky...

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
I forgot to post this video of my engine noise after melting number 1 piston. When I took the video I was trying to identify the sound...Happened after a long run at triple digit speeds, Stock teeny turbo and too much fuel, no egt gauge..ugh, I have learned a lot since then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaGvALTuTmI&feature=related

Last edited: