My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Also due to high ambient temps recently I installed a fuel cooler below my FMIC. It is a transmission cooler from a Ford Explorer. I have it positioned w the top canted forward to try to get as much flow through the cooler, as well as a small plastic ramp to direct air through cooler rather than losing some below it. I notice more consistent power despite engine/fuel temp increases, it seemed to drop off a bit more before once fuel temps were higher, was smokier and less power up top (around and past 5K)
Did you install it on the feed line or return line?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Thought I did some research and said the return was the best place for it. Since you will never cool the fuel past ambient. It is best to put it in the return line where fuel is the hottest returning from the pump and back to the tank. Then it will be further cooled.

Not sure. I have mine, but didn't put it on last time around.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Interesting do you have a thread about that?

found this one

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176566&page=2

If hot fuel is going back to the tank does that not heat up the whole tank. So the tank is not as close to ambient temp as you think. I have mine hooked up between the filter and pump. I tried it both ways and the fuel temps are close hooked up either way.
easier to hook up on feed side on a b4/mk3 since return is 1/4"

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Adapters came in, swapped lines around so cooler is on the return, easy enough to go back and forth for further testing, since there were mixed opinions on ideal setup, or at least I thought there was.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Interesting ive been reading on this same subject, I have a small cooler I wonder how many coolers I can put up front, just when I think I have it all covered the bay is filling up fast again

GTiTDi

TDI
The day before TDI fest commenced I installed a Southbend Stage 2 Endurance clutch kit along with a steel shot blasted and turned OEM flywheel. The Sachs VR6 was noisy and slipping. Now I can actually utilize the power a lot more since I am not babying all the time. I let it break in for 300 miles or so before really getting too hard on it. What a blast and still turned 46 mpgs after absolutely beating the snot out of it all the way to the Jordan resort over and over ha ha, what a riot! I need to set this thing up for hill climbing! Walked away from a fellow members 210whp mk4 golf on the same climb up the mountain! He wanted a rematch however never got a chance. Fest is never long enough!