Would swapping a TDI into a Tiguan be feasible.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I want a 4x4 TDI with good ground clearance. If I bought a CR TDI from a jetta and put it in a Tiguan, would it work? The gear ratios would be off but you could import a transmision from Europe.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
IMO you'd be better off swapping a toyota or samurai than going through all the trouble of importing and swapping, just my .02 cents tho.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think you ought to do it, that would be really cool ,of course it's your money. What would be even better is if VW brought a Tiguan to the states with awd, 6 spd manual and a diesel engine.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is it feasible? Definitely yes. A diesel Tiguan is actually a very popular towing vehicle in Europe.
The real question is: Is it practical? There could be both parts procurement and possible legal issues. Since a diesel Tiggy was never emissions approved in the US, it could be very difficult to get this converted car titled and registered. If you get past this (by not telling anybody official), there could be problems if/when you try to sell it.
I would love to see a diesel Tiguan in North America, but converting newer vehicles can be a legal quagmire.

Have Fun!

Don

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
If I put a Jetta engine in the Tiguan, then it should already meet emissions because the Jetta meets USA emissions. I could even volunteer to take an emissions test. I know it would not be practical but I would have the only TDI Tiguan in the US, and it would be fun.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be on the lookout for a Tiguan with a blown engine.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
I cannot seem to find an AWD Tiguan that has a Manual transmission. Does VW even make one in the US?

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
there is also the elusive low k, low $, used 3.0l tdi audi q5 Quattro that someone is sick of cuz this year's black interior is more to their liking than last years...

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
now that I think about it, there is also the 2007 liberty crd with a green diesel engineering tune(in Wixom Michigan )which could get you in a low 30's mpg 4x4 for well under $20k. not quite a tdi but ticks some of your boxes. gde had one for sale a number of months ago.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
now that I think about it, there is also the 2007 liberty crd with a green diesel engineering tune(in Wixom Michigan )which could get you in a low 30's mpg 4x4 for well under $20k. not quite a tdi but ticks some of your boxes. gde had one for sale a number of months ago.
Is that a manual or an auto?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Is it feasible? Lets look at that word.
fea·si·ble
ˈfēzəb(ə)l/
adjective

possible to do easily or conveniently

Of which I would say no.

Now adays most the computers in VW's and Audis are all coded for a specific VIN, and each VIN has a set of options. Coding everything is done via computer and automatic. So mixing and matching modules, has in my experience been extremely difficult. Unless you can figure out how to have root level access to the many modules in the vehicle getting them to play nice with their transplanted brotheren will be very challenging. Starting with a complete diesel donor car may be the best approach which of course importing one is not easy, permanent or cheap.