"New" 2015 TDIs for sale?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
This is the first I've heard of it. Saw this on caranddriver.com. I wonder how the cars will drive? What was done to make them legal?

You can now buy a brand-new two-year-old Volkswagen or Audi TDI at what should be a cut-rate price.

Volkswagen received approval today to sell new 2015 TDI models with the 2.0-liter diesel four-cylinder, or what’s known as the Generation 3 engine. A software update will delete Volkswagen’s illegal emissions programming, while a few physical parts (exact details are not yet available) will be swapped out later as part of a recall. The cars can be sold and driven now without the new hardware, which won’t be ready until early next year, according to a report in Automotive News. Only the 2015 Jetta, Golf, Beetle, Passat, and Audi A3 diesels are approved for sale. Any older 2.0-liter TDI models or 2015 TDI models with the 3.0-liter V-6 are still barred. A similar update and recall will be offered for 2013–2016 3.0-liter models later this year.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Actually, I looked in the TDI news section, and there was nothing about it. And apparently the moderator agreed, because they posted it.

This does kind of seem like news to me. But thanks for pointing out the threads, none of which were in the news section. And so politely too.