No free service for 2002's, or is there?

Deep Blue TDi

No free service for 2002\'s, or is there?

I think I must have missed something when my sales guy was giving us the introduction to our new '02 Golf GL 4dr TDI, but didn't VW used to offer free regular service for some period?

Do they not offer this on the 2002's?

Thanks for any information!

Lanny

D

Diesel Bear

Re: No free service for 2002\'s, or is there?

I think it depends on the dealer. I picked up my '02 Jetta TDI in Sept (from a great dealer) and was given 4 free oil changes. Tell your sales guy and ask about similar offers. Can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member

No free service. New for 02....

1. The b to b warranty is now 4 yrs/50k miles.
2. Power Train warranty is now 5 yrs/60k miles.
3. 2yr/20k maint. has been dropped.

Personally, I would not miss number 3. But, I do like having the old 100k drivetrain warranty.

Congratulations on your new car. You have made a wise choice in transportation.

Best Regards,
Rob

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI

Both of our TDIs had 100K powertrain warranty, but I'm glad I had the added warranty through First Extended on the car which had the TB failure at 78,151 miles. VWofA gladly (and perfectly) did the repair, but the dealer said it needed a new MAF as well, so the added warranty covered it with no problems. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

Ron Raley

Veteran Member

Yea, VW dropped the free oil change services...
funny that the salesguy forgot to tell me that AFTER the paperwork was signed! VW needs to make up its mind as to what they are going to do, especially loyal customers like me and others out there. The oil changes really don't cost much to perform so it don't make sense why they dropped them, also when I found out that they dropped the 100,000 mile warranty I opted for the extended warranty to cover my ass.

Deep Blue TDi

Kind of what I thought.

On a related topic, does anyone have any experience with the VW extended warranty? Apparently you can opt for it up until the factory warranty runs out, but are there some better options out there?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

IMHO:

No one is missing anything without the 24K free maintenance due to 50% or more of the servicing being performed incorrectly or not at all. How much is it worth to take time off from work and then have to bring your ride back the second time and argue over a petty issue written in black and white?

If you can walk and chew bubble gum, you can easily learn to perform basic maintenance and save yourself a lot of money in the longrun. I suggest you learn to become as independent as you can and avoid the dealer where possible - your ride will appreciate it!

Deep Blue TDi

Turbo Steve,

When a car is new, doesn't performing it's regularly scheduled maintenance yourself lessen the protection you may get from the warranty? That's the main reason I'd have it serviced by VW.

Also, in Minneapolis it's pretty cold this time of year and without a heated garage, it's unpleasant to do your own service. So at least for the duration of the winter, I'm going to take it to VW for normal service.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Deep Blue TDi:
Turbo Steve,

When a car is new, doesn't performing it's regularly scheduled maintenance yourself lessen the protection you may get from the warranty? That's the main reason I'd have it serviced by VW.
<hr></blockquote>

Not necessarily. Perhaps I should have also suggested finding a mechanic you can trust to perform the maintenance if you prefer this convenience.

Most of the very good VW technicians are in high demand and do the tougher jobs at the dealer, leaving those just out of high school or with less experience to perform the simpler maintenance tasks of changing the fluids or filters. This is, perhaps why many Forum members have experienced less than adequate service, but not all, as there are plenty of positive experiences too.

In short, if you do a little homework, you can either assist yourself or a trustworthy mechanic in servicing your TDI the right way.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

The brake fluid change was a nice part of the 2 yr service---it's a REAL PITA to do by yourself.

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000

If you loosen the fluid cointainer up and undo the bleeders one by one the gravity itself will take care of emptying your brake lines.All you will have to do is watch the container and keep adding the fluid.

How PITA is that?

AZDennis

TDI
2007 V10 Treg

My dealer (Tucson) offered free service and roadside assistance for 4yrs/50k mi on 2002 Golf GLS. It's on order, due in 3 weeks.
I think they are overestimating what VW will reimburse them for. I will hold the dealer to it.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT

To me loss of the oil changes/maintenance would not be a big deal. Loss of the 100k powertrain though WOULD be IMHO. Half the time the dealers use the wrong oil anyway-you are better off to bring your own-or-if you have a 2002 DIY. One advantage with the 2002's though is the new 80k timing belt (unless the TB fails at 61 k miles)!!!! NO PT warranty left.......Overall-I think that the older 100 k PT warranty-even though the bumper to bumper was less-was a better setup.