TDI IN A 94 NISSAN pickup

dustinr

TDI
none
I would like to put a tdi into a 94 nissan 2wd truck. It will be used to go off road although that will not be the primary mission. I plan on giving it a 3 in body lift-2 in suspension, posi rear. I will be hauling small things ie couches- car engines, and dirt bikes. Would a TDI work? Which engine model would be best, Could I use the Nissan 5 spd truck engine or would I have to swap to a VW- if so, would it be compatible with the Nissans gearing? Does anybody make a kit? I have owned 77 Ford f-350's with 427 being gas fed by duel 750 double pumpers but thats not feesable with todays gas prices. I would like to think that I could get 35 miles per gallon after the completed project as the 2wd truck doesn't weigh ass much as the VW jetta. Is that being overly optamistic? Could I wish to get a durable-low maintainence 150-200 hp? without blowing my wallet into space. Is there a company out there that specializes in swaps? What other issues may come up that I haven't addressed here? Well thanks for your sage advice haha.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
you can run a stock tdi with an mTDI pump and get enough torque to throw that nissan pickup all around. It is very possable swap there would be some custom things as in axles and what not in the front in but there not to expensive to get done. There are companys out there that can make adapters to bolt up just about anything. Like for example there is a guy locally that has a Trike that has a rx-7 motor bolted to it and uses the original VW bug transverse tranny just had an adapter made from advance adapters.

Steve777

Veteran Member
If you were willing to switch to a Toyota pickup with the 22R engine & tranny, then you could use the Acme adapter plate. Those are usually used for Suzuki Samurai diesel conversions, but since the Toy tranny is often put in those trucks, they have adapters for that tranny as well.

Should make the conversion quite a bit easier, but you would still have to make mounts etc.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
Texas...don't suppose you can post a price range....

I have a 94 Nissan king cab 4x4 with the stock 6 cylinder engine and manual transmission.

Just want a ballpark figure to see if this is even worth considering.

Aridzonan

TDI
2001 GOLF
81 SD22 720 PU / TDI Conversion

I too would like to convert an '81 SD22 diesel Nissan to a TDI power plant. Finding parts for the SD22 is a bear. Locating TD27 in the US is not an option. And I've fallen in love with the 1.9 TDI in my 2001 Golf.

Are there any other conversion shops that would provide adapter hardware? motor mounts etc?

Regards,
JQ

jtvtx

TDI
NONE
Steve777 said:
If you were willing to switch to a Toyota pickup with the 22R engine & tranny, then you could use the Acme adapter plate. Those are usually used for Suzuki Samurai diesel conversions, but since the Toy tranny is often put in those trucks, they have adapters for that tranny as well.

Should make the conversion quite a bit easier, but you would still have to make mounts etc.
do you have an address?

Steve777

Veteran Member
Spulen81, thanks for posting ACME's URL...

I'm curious about your 4Runner conversion. Mostly about if you are satisfied with the power, how well (or poorly) the gasser tranny shift points work, and what sort of fuel mileage you're getting.

Know someone locally who imported a diesel front clip from Japan to convert his 4Runner. Great pickup and plenty of power (6cyl diesel IIRC), but fuel mileage was nothing to write home about.

I had not considered putting the 4cyl tdi in a 4Runner before, but using ACME's converter it should be fairly straightforward, at least to the tranny. How hard were the mounts and any ecu stuff?

Spulen81

Veteran Member
No problem, Compared to the stock 22RE the stock TDI felt a little better. I have 32" tires and stock gears so the gears after 1st feels a little too tall. If I had the correct R&P or stock tires it would be different. I just did a nozzle upgrade and the power is really good now. I'm only on my second tank since I started keeping track but it looks to be about 29-31mpg so far. I'm going to have to run a few tanks threw it before I really know for sure.
It has not problem going 75+ on the highway. Any faster is a little scary, its no sports car.

The mounts were pretty straight forward. I had to revamp them several times before I got it right but they are good now. Mine are just flat stock and modified Toyota and VW mounts. The actual mount bushings are BMW 3 series parts. They are basically a 3" diameter puck with a stud at either end so they are really easy to work with and cheap.

You can use all the VW accessories. I deleted AC so I'm not sure about that, I doubt it will fit due to steering shaft clearance. I'm running the stock VW PS pump with the Toyota steering box, you just need some custom hoses. I used a '97 TDI, so wiring wasn't really too bad, some of the later TDIs are a lot more complicated.

There are a couple clearance issues mainly due to the IFS front suspension. I ended up raising the body 2" and lifted the whole drivetrain 2". This was done to clear the oil pan and the steering shaft.

Check out this one, its a 2wd Toyota with a TD swap in it. Very well done.

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?P=1c0b87c24b3fd2de38eb7a5258bb4de0&board=48.0