Rotella T6 in 2015 q7 TDI

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I appreciate OH's insight on the EA888 engine families. I like to preplan my potential options a couple years ahead. A GSW 1.4 may be on the table.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Proper statistical analysis is not inexpensive

Exactly, so it'll take ~$100 (at least) of your money to provide any trend one way or the other. All you have provided is anecdote.
You'd need to have a UOA done over a time period of several service intervals of various oil types in several identical CBEA engines driven in similar fashion.
Actually, it will likely cost a couple hundred to do that.
If you'd like to pay for it, send me several sample kits and I will provide the oil, although it may be some time as many of the 2009s are gone which will only leave the Audi A3s through 2014 as they still used the CBEA. Although I'd think a CJAA after 100k miles should be broken in enough to negate the mechanical differences, but maybe not.
You have my word I will be absolutely fair and honest and thorough in sample gathering. As I stated, I have a couple with over 300k miles I can sample from.
From my experience, oil analysis with TBN values are averaging at least $25 to $35, so I think the total cost to show statistically that VW spec 507 oils in CBEA engines are inadequate in 10K mile OCI might be a little bit even more expensive than that :-(

Another option, more practical in my view, is to consult/ask oil analysis labs such as Blackstone Labs, Oil Analyzers, and TDI independent trusted mechanics ;)

Also in Europe VW 507 oils have been used successfully in a longer period of time/Kms and with many more types of TDI vehicles :)

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
From my experience, oil analysis with TBN values are averaging at least $25 to $35, so I think the total cost to show statistically that VW spec 507 oils in CBEA engines are inadequate in 10K mile OCI might be a little bit even more expensive than that :-(
Another option, more practical in my view, is to consult/ask oil analysis labs such as Blackstone Labs, Oil Analyzers, and TDI independent trusted mechanics ;)
Also in Europe VW 507 oils have been used successfully in a longer period of time/Kms and with many more types of TDI vehicles :)
My mechanic was skeptical of 507 and recommended a 6-7k oil change interval. I did 10k once just as an experiment, which are the results you see. He was correct.

There are poor reports like mine posted on other forums. It’s not an anomaly.
I’d trust the report much more than anyone else’s opinion. On forums or anywhere else. The numbers tell the tale...

Wix 24077 oil analysis kits are $9.49 at Rockauto and includes TBN. Buy 5 for combined shipping for $2.99 and include the 5% off coupon and they are $9.62 each delivered to your door.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,24077,filter,8600

Add USPS shipping of ~ $4 to the closest ALS tribology lab and your $13.62 for a comprehensive UOA including TBN.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Did not know about Rockauto UOA!

My mechanic was skeptical of 507 and recommended a 6-7k oil change interval. I did 10k once just as an experiment, which are the results you see. He was correct.
There are poor reports like mine posted on other forums. It’s not an anomaly.
I’d trust the report much more than anyone else’s opinion. On forums or anywhere else. The numbers tell the tale...
Wix 24077 oil analysis kits are $9.49 at Rockauto and includes TBN. Buy 5 for combined shipping for $2.99 and include the 5% off coupon and they are $9.62 each delivered to your door.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,24077,filter,8600
Add USPS shipping of ~ $4 to the closest ALS tribology lab and your $13.62 for a comprehensive UOA including TBN.
Well, thank you sir as I did not not that one could do a basic UOA with TBN for around $14! Much cheaper than the competition indeed. I have to research this further for future test. Very appreciative.

Gta88ws6

TDI
14 SportWagen tdi
T6 has a problem maintaining its viscosity and shears down a grade over about 10k miles from the Uoa tests I have seen from a few trucks and diesel cars. I'd avoid it and buy a better oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Lol. Motor oil OCD runs deep in this community. Just use a good synthetic and the engine will easily outlast the rest of the vehicle.