Carplay and Best DIY Manual

QLF

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just purchased a 2011 Jetta. It has bluetooth but no NAV. Since I have this huge screen, I feel like I should be able to use my maps app on my iphone 8 and connect to the factory screen using the MDI port in the glovebox. Is there a way?

Also what is the best repair manual so I can do my own maintenance?

Last edited:

Rjamesohio

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Interesting question!

And I too am curious to see answers.

I just bought a 2015 CPO TDI Golf and it has the RNS 510 nav system with the MDI port in the small compartment under the head unit.

Having gotten spoiled by my Alltrack Car Play, I didn't realize how dated the RNS 510 was until I used it. It's serviceable, but our phone nav is now SO much better and there are three decent options: Waze, Apple and Google. All with better graphics and all are continuously up-to-date so no updates required.

So - your question is intriguing. My car came with the old ipod - MDI cable, which works OK on my old Ipod. But certainly NOT my iPhone 8.

i've see the head replacement units - expensive and I really don't want to tear my car apart. I love the car but wish VW had gone ONE MORE YEAR with the TDI and then our CPO cars would have had the later head units with Apple Car Play!

So - Has anyone tried to plug their iphone or Android into the MDI port through the USB cable, and does it project the phone screen? I'll be shocked if it does, but if so it will be a simple and cheap way to get our phone nav!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes you can get a USB port that works for Android. However, all it does is play the music - no screen projecting. I played with it a time or two, then bought an SD card for my music. You get much the same effect as using your phone as the Bluetooth media device.

For Nav - I usually use my Garmin. When I did Uber, I used my phone as well.

If you want CarPlay - put in an aftermarket stereo that supports it.

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Just like the person above wrote I don’t think you’ll have native CarPlay enabled on either of your two vehicles. What I recommend is what I did on my 2006 Jetta TDi, I had the local Best Buy install a Pioneer head unit. It was during a promotion where they were doing free installation and honestly the price was really fair for what you get. At the same time I had them put in a rearview camera; essentially bringing my infotainment about 10 years newer than when that particular vehicle was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk