Body Roll Solution

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Okay so I am tired of body roll in the golf. My mk4 was awful and the mk7 experiences some as well (just enough to feel). My buddy/roommate simply added a rear brace to his civic SI trunk and the entire car firmed up.
LINK: https://www.urotuning.com/UNIbrace-XBQ-for-Mk7-Golf-GTi-Audi-A3-S3-MBQ-p/unibrace-xbq.htm

This is just one of the options for interior bracing (yes i know there are simpler tubular versions). Would this firm the car up as much as a rear sway bar such as http://www.urotuning.com/Neuspeed-Rear-Torsion-Bar-Mk7-Golf-TDi-p/25.02.22.2.htm.

I plan on doing the VWR lowering springs so I am simply worried about beating up the rear "torsion" bar due to crappy Ohio roads. I have read reviews/threads on the torsion bar but I have wondered if the interior brace would help with roll at all?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A rear shock brace and anti roll bar do entirely different things. The MQB platform is pretty stiff, I doubt you'd see much change with a brace.

I'd suggest a rear bar, one that fits inside the rear beam. Don't now if anyone makes it, we may at some point. These make a world of difference in this suspension design. I've had one in my MKIV Wagon forever and still love it. However, keep in mind it can cause the car to be a little tail-happy in slick conditions.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I figured the brace wouldn't do much. What does the one on your MKIV look like? I am pretty creative and have some resources. I might try to make something myself it is worth it.

Are there any other mods besides the typical front sway bar for the MKVII golfs to make them handle better?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Does that simply bolt right to the rear bar?

Are better dampers recommended with the VWR springs? Reviews on those range from they have lasted years to they ruined stock dampers within a month. I am trying to hold out for Raceland to make a bag kit for the MKVII golf tdi platform so for now I just want to improve handling.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Install requires drilling the rear beam and bolting the bar inside the beam.

I would definitely upgrade dampers with R springs. The stock Golf dampers aren't valved for the shorter travel.

VWjunkie

TDI
15 GSW SEL
I put on lower springs and added the NEUSPEED rear torsion bar and the body roll has toned down a lot. It was definitely worth it, in my opinion.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I put on lower springs and added the NEUSPEED rear torsion bar and the body roll has toned down a lot. It was definitely worth it, in my opinion.
Do you have a pic of ground clearance for NEUSPEED torsion bar? Assuming springs are 1" lower?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Install requires drilling the rear beam and bolting the bar inside the beam.

I would definitely upgrade dampers with R springs. The stock Golf dampers aren't valved for the shorter travel.
Easy enough to install. Any thought on MKVII platform or no?

Really wanted to hold out for bags but I might as well just buy an all in one coilover set at this point.