Buyback/Replacement redux thread - high mpg replacements?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Hey everyone.

When I created the original thread, I wound up getting every response possible as many peoples’ needs had changed. Mine have not, as well as many of you here. With the fix for manual 2012-2014 cars being rejected in New Jersey, I’m going to reopen my search for a replacement. I’m looking for high miles per gallon (read as 40+) for a replacement. New cars are not out of the question. So far all I have found are:

Accord hybrid
Camry hybrid
Fusion hybrid
CX-5 diesel (if it ever shows up)

Looks like I’ll have to ditch the manual transmission finally. I don’t feel like searching the country for a 2015 manual Passat TDI. I’m also looking to keep costs down in the pricing area. I enjoyed everything Volkswagen offered in their cars with most items standard or minor upgrades such as satellite radio, heated seats and mirrors, and “leather” seats in the Passat. What I’d like in the new car is good interaction with the smartphone, if possible. Some rentals I have driven, such as dodge and even a newer Volkswagen bug dune edition, have this.

Open to your suggestions.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Why not find one of the 2015 Passat DSG's out there? Maybe a new one. You already know pretty much all about it.

Nah.. just not feeling it in automatic. I’m not going to die if I get an automatic, but I’m open to exploring other options. I’d like to keep it under 30. I believe my buyback will be around 14-15k? I anticipate my car to have 155-165k toward the end of next year and it’s in great condition.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Don't fixate on 40+ mpg as the end all.

Look at total cost of ownership.

Example: run the numbers of an Accord/Camry hybrid purchase, vs a TSI Passat.

I also recommend getting android auto / apple carplay for true phone integration. 2016+ VWs have this standard. Find a deal on a TSI VW (Passat, Golf, Jetta...) and price compare vs those in your other list. You can get a 5spd stick shift also.

OR

I'm still confused as to why you lament losing the manual TDI Passat, yet refuse to run a simple nationwide search for a 2015 version of one. You can ship cars quite easily for $500-1000. You'll get an 11yr 162k mile emissions warranty that covers all the major items (also helps ease anxiety of buying a car sight-unseen).
IMO, if you want a 40+ mpg replacement car, why not go that route?

*shrug*

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
also&rsquo ditch&rsquo that&rsquo frigging&rsquo tapatouch&rsquo app&rsquo, can't&rsquo stand&rsquo the&rsquo errors&rsquo it&rsquo cause&rsquo in&rsquo your&rsquo posts&rsquo.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd peg the Passat TSI at the top of the list to at least look at/test drive. It may not beat the hybrids, but its darn close to it and the EA888 Gen3 is going to be a dime a dozen engine, so you won't be the only one around with the same issues.

2013 tdi fan

TDI
Have you considered chevy equinox diesel? I wanted the cx-5 diesel as well but after they kept pushing back the release date i finally caved in and got the chevy.Couldn't be happier.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mazda 6. The Skyactiv gasoline engines do well enough so that the difference between that and diesel power isn't worth mentioning in terms of fuel cost in the USA. They are very nice to drive, and you can get a manual transmission.

The new Accord in 4 cylinder non-hybrid form, with the 1.5 turbo gas engine. You can get a manual transmission. I doubt if the price difference to the hybrid is worthwhile from the standard model as a starting point.

VW Jetta 1.4 TSI gas engine. You can get a manual transmission.

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Why not keep your current ride? What if Dieselfate had never happened, would you be looking to ditch your car to by an appliance vehicle?

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Why not keep your current ride? What if Dieselfate had never happened, would you be looking to ditch your car to by an appliance vehicle?

My current ride is starting to have some trouble. I have a check engine light. I had a pressure sensor replaced. Light came back. They suggest changing an exhaust gas temperature sensor. Not sure I want to keep playing a game now that the fix has been abandoned. If they had the fix I would have kept it. I already signed and notarized the paperwork.

Also, my “new car” inspection is coming to the end of its 5 year rope. Won’t pass with the light on. We’ll see what happens as it comes and goes.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Don't fixate on 40+ mpg as the end all.

Look at total cost of ownership.

Example: run the numbers of an Accord/Camry hybrid purchase, vs a TSI Passat.

I also recommend getting android auto / apple carplay for true phone integration. 2016+ VWs have this standard. Find a deal on a TSI VW (Passat, Golf, Jetta...) and price compare vs those in your other list. You can get a 5spd stick shift also.

OR

I'm still confused as to why you lament losing the manual TDI Passat, yet refuse to run a simple nationwide search for a 2015 version of one. You can ship cars quite easily for $500-1000. You'll get an 11yr 162k mile emissions warranty that covers all the major items (also helps ease anxiety of buying a car sight-unseen).
IMO, if you want a 40+ mpg replacement car, why not go that route?

*shrug*

I’m not totally fixated on mileage only - if the car is too expensive to buy in it is disqualified. The car needs to be mid 20s at most when I walk out.

While I look at mpg, I do look at cost of ownership as well. I also look at the capacity of the fuel tank (range) as I drive about 700 miles a week and I’m not looking to be on a first name basis with the gas station if I can avoid it.

Apple CarPlay is high on my “nice to have” list but it’s not a deal breaker.

I’ll look at the TSI line... perhaps I can get an “excellent” deal for being a longtime Volkswagen customer.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Also... 1 more thing... car has been consuming oil for months now. I’ve been looking into it for a while and have pinned it down to the all too frequent regenerations. I thought the pressure sensor would have fixed it but no.

Car doesn’t blow a lot of smoke, but these problems popping up along with the cop out on the fix suggest I move on from the car. I stayed in as long as I could and it has served me well but it seems like the good sensible business decision to make.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow’ that’ really’ is’ a’ bummer’

It’s tough’ when’ a’ dealer’ can’t solve’ issues’ first’ go’ around’. I’ feel’ your’ pain’

’ ’ ’ ’ ’ ’

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat TSI's can be had dirt cheap

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We have a 2017 Passat TSI, and yes, it can get good mileage, but you really.... really try hard to get it. I could probably get high 30's to 40mpg going 65-70mph on the highway, but it's a pain to do that. One little step on the accelerator and the mpg goes down quick. In the city the mpg is pretty bad, IMO. I notice we get about the stated 23mpg, but it's low when I think about the TDI. Highway I think 35, maybe 36 mpg is more accurate of what we get when we drive about 70mph. if I was to keep up with traffic doing 80mpg, then 33mpg tops is what we'd get.

I was going to drive the 2017 Passat TSI for my daily 112 mile work trip, but I just wasn't feeling the transmission on that car. it does pick up faster, but trying to get good MPG in that car is annoying. I ran non-ethanol fuel in it and it seemed like it ran longer, but at an added cost of about 60 cent every gallon over regular gas. It could have been a placebo effect since I only did it for 1 tank. The transmission really bugged me though because if you came up behind a car and let of the accelerator, the car kept on going and you had to hit your brakes. In the city it's worse, because I'm tapping my brakes all the time. I guess I'm still used to the DSG tranny. With the TDI DSG you can let off and the car slows down by itself, without having to hit the brakes so much. I also don't have the 'need for speed' like I did with the TSI. By no means is that car fast, but it is quicker than the TDI.

I told my wife she could keep the car and I drove around to find a 2015 Passat TDI SEL for just under $17k with 34.5k miles. I could not be happier with my decision. I do wish I had some of the safety features as her, but me being happy with what I'm driving is a big relief. It's nice to get 40+mpg without even trying. I've seen numbers slightly above 50mpg when I'm doing 70mph, which my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG couldn't even get. I am in love with this car and so glad I stuck with a TDI.

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have. The safety features the new Passat's have are nice also.

Look forward to hearing what you purchased at the end of this.

I can't say much about the hybrids, but I assume it'll be easy to get the high MPG's in them without having to try. I know my buddy had a 2006 Honda Insight and that thing would easily get 60mpg. It looked weird as heck, but he is a very green person, so he didn't care. I know most out now get high 40's to maybe low 50's, so that's still pretty awesome. I

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
We have a 2017 Passat TSI, and yes, it can get good mileage, but you really.... really try hard to get it. I could probably get high 30's to 40mpg going 65-70mph on the highway, but it's a pain to do that. One little step on the accelerator and the mpg goes down quick. In the city the mpg is pretty bad, IMO. I notice we get about the stated 23mpg, but it's low when I think about the TDI. Highway I think 35, maybe 36 mpg is more accurate of what we get when we drive about 70mph. if I was to keep up with traffic doing 80mpg, then 33mpg tops is what we'd get.

I was going to drive the 2017 Passat TSI for my daily 112 mile work trip, but I just wasn't feeling the transmission on that car. it does pick up faster, but trying to get good MPG in that car is annoying. I ran non-ethanol fuel in it and it seemed like it ran longer, but at an added cost of about 60 cent every gallon over regular gas. It could have been a placebo effect since I only did it for 1 tank. The transmission really bugged me though because if you came up behind a car and let of the accelerator, the car kept on going and you had to hit your brakes. In the city it's worse, because I'm tapping my brakes all the time. I guess I'm still used to the DSG tranny. With the TDI DSG you can let off and the car slows down by itself, without having to hit the brakes so much. I also don't have the 'need for speed' like I did with the TSI. By no means is that car fast, but it is quicker than the TDI.

I told my wife she could keep the car and I drove around to find a 2015 Passat TDI SEL for just under $17k with 34.5k miles. I could not be happier with my decision. I do wish I had some of the safety features as her, but me being happy with what I'm driving is a big relief. It's nice to get 40+mpg without even trying. I've seen numbers slightly above 50mpg when I'm doing 70mph, which my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG couldn't even get. I am in love with this car and so glad I stuck with a TDI.

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have. The safety features the new Passat's have are nice also.

Look forward to hearing what you purchased at the end of this.

I can't say much about the hybrids, but I assume it'll be easy to get the high MPG's in them without having to try. I know my buddy had a 2006 Honda Insight and that thing would easily get 60mpg. It looked weird as heck, but he is a very green person, so he didn't care. I know most out now get high 40's to maybe low 50's, so that's still pretty awesome. I

Maybe the 2018 Passat will get slightly better mpg and easier to get 40mpg with the 2.0 TSI. I will say Apple car play is nice to have.

Well I’m pretty sold on getting a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid. It depends on what kind of deal I can strike on it. I developed a little Excel matrix of what cars would cost to own on just MSRP and fuel at 2.50/gallon and it looks like at 150,000 I break even on Honda Accord and straight gas models. If I were to get something like a Subaru Legacy, which I think is like a Jetta, it would be a substantial savings until like 300,000 miles of which the cars may not last that long. I planned on the Passat being 10 years and 300,000 but it was not meant to be.

I’m a little excited to see how this is going to pan out. What sucks is I did make some repairs recently that had I known this I would not have done. Oh well.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well I’m pretty sold on getting a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid. It depends on what kind of deal I can strike on it. I developed a little Excel matrix of what cars would cost to own on just MSRP and fuel at 2.50/gallon and it looks like at 150,000 I break even on Honda Accord and straight gas models. If I were to get something like a Subaru Legacy, which I think is like a Jetta, it would be a substantial savings until like 300,000 miles of which the cars may not last that long. I planned on the Passat being 10 years and 300,000 but it was not meant to be.

I’m a little excited to see how this is going to pan out. What sucks is I did make some repairs recently that had I known this I would not have done. Oh well.

I know the feeling. Just about 4 months ago my ignition switch went out on me, so that was $800 (had oil filter changed too), then about a month and half ago I just did the DSG service for another $300.

The ignition switch couldn't have been prevented, but I wish I didn't do the DSG service, but I still didn't know at the time what I was going to do, so I just got it done. I have a wheel hub assembly going out on me now, and that was kind of the last straw for me to sell back the Jetta TDI. If I did the fix and did the timing belt, wheel hub assembly, and fixed my intake manifold flap p2015 code, I'd still be up around $3,500. With my luck something would happen to my HPFP, DPF, or something else if I kept the car longer before I did the fix.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Have you considered chevy equinox diesel? I wanted the cx-5 diesel as well but after they kept pushing back the release date i finally caved in and got the chevy.Couldn't be happier.
How is your mileage.
I have been waiting for the CX-5 diesel. One problem with the Equinox (and the Terrain) diesel is the towing capacity is 1500 pounds. I expect to have a small boat on a trailer, and 1500 pounds is well below the 4500 pounds of my Q5 TDI.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
If you can live with a crossover, Kia Niro (regular or plug-in) hybrid, 43-50 mpg depending on model and a 500-600 mile range. The plug-in allows for 26 Miles pure electric range. The cheaper models have higher mpg because of tire width and lighter weight.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Sold back a 2014 Passat TDI manual and a 2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG. Loved both vehicles but couldn't pass up how much they were giving me, and because of no fix for the manual, glad I did. So I turned around and bought a Passat TSI with Tech for my wife. It is a better fit for her now that she is retired and she just putts around town, which is not the best driving habit for a diesel, especially when it needs to be driven on the highway to ensure the DPF gets good and cleaned. I then purchased a new 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium for me and love the car and we use it on longer trips to Spokane and I still work 450 miles from home, so still drive a lot. Bought it in Bellingham and they were stored inside and kept up very well, and when it was all said and done, after selling back the 2014 & 2013 and purchasing the 2 new Passat's, I still had almost a grand left over. Really can't beat that, but it also helped that both older cars were paid for and the 2 new cars are also paid for. So hopefully we are set for a long time vehicle wise. Retiring soon myself and now have a very nice camper and a 2017 Ford 6.7 Diesel dully crewcab 4X4 to carry the camper and can also tow my 10' Aluma with my Harley triglide or maybe a small fishing rig someday. Looking forward to fishing and etc. One more thing, my wife gets around 30 MPG with the TSI in town now that it is cold and when she drives across the state to visit me, she gets in the mid 30s to slightly more MPG on the highway. With the TDI I get around 40 around town, but on the highway I get the mid to upper 40s. Not as much as my previous TDI's but I am happy. The Ford dully diesel surprisingly gets as high as 20 MPG on the highway @ 60 - 65 MPH, but around 16 - 17 around town.

JimJamie

TDI
'13 Passat 6 sp. 57k mi. VW fairing kit all around.
Why are so many not returning to the TDI?

I'm about ready to turn in my 2013 Passat TDI manual, and will probably buy a 2015 TDI SEL Premium. (my wife has arthritis and never liked shifting).
It seems A LOT of TDI owners are not going back to the TDI. Why is this?
I've read there has been almost no drop in fuel mileage, and no drop in hp or torque.

This idea suddenly came about when I learned there was no fix for the standard, and I started crunching the numbers on the VW site. Driving the 2013 is a major liability. If I total it I'm out almost $10,000!

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I’d like to stay TDI but it would be a major pain to go and find one. I’m not interested in all that pain.

Just recently, as in a few days ago, I developed another engine code - P202A, which is the ad blue heater apparently.

My car’s registration and inspection is good through April so it seems that would be my target sell back date now.

If VW continues making TDI I would get another but they are pulling out so I am as well.

JimJamie

TDI
I looked at a new 2015 yesterday. I could not get him to drop the price by more than the $1000. MSRP $35,740 - $5000 rebate to dealer - $1000 discount +500 doc prep = $30,240.
I can get a certified 2015 w/20,000 miles for around $21,000. I explained the situation to him too. He must know something I don't know.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Some dealers are holding onto them hoping there still are people out there willing to pay full price for the car. These 2015's are rare, but no way I'm going to pay $30k for one in 2018, even if it is 'new.'

If I was you I would get the 2015 certified one for $21k. Assuming its the color and the options you want, 20k miles is nothing, especially since it's certified. That's a good amount of driving till you have to do the DSG also.

Are you looking at an SE or SEL?

JimJamie

TDI
I take the DSG is step 2 in the 'update' path?
I want an SEL. I find using Google Maps on my cell phone a pain in the butt. Much rather have it on a big screen. Seat presets, and the 18" wheels are other likes. I really don't care about the sunroof, but whatever.
I tried to get the sales guy to consider the fact that the car is now 4 MODEL YEARS OLD. No budging.

Last edited: