Tdi regen complaint

15jetta_leftover

TDI
2015 jetta
So my brand new 2015 jetta decided to start its first regen in the drive thru today while getting lunch. TALK ABOUT LOUD! Haha echoing off the walls it was obsurd lol.

I was worried at first wasnt sure what was going on... thought maybe my DSG was stuck engaged or something it was sooo loud. Put it in neutral noise stayed then realized... hey this is probaby a regen...

I guess its not a complaint just embarrasing lol. :confused:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
As tomo said, the idle will jump 2-300 rpm and the engine will feel rougher. My cars usually waits until I am in the garage and have put it in park before it starts a regen. Even if I just came off a 100 mile trip. We've discussed in many other threads, a regen happens about once a tank. If the car can't do a passive regen while being driving, it will start a active regen at low speeds.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Odd...I have 38,000 miles on my 2015...been "fixed" for a few months ...
Only way I can tell it is regening is the fan is on if I shut it off....or it is it idling at 1000 RPM AFTER it is already warm......
Think you have a problem if you are hearing extra sounds...sure...the fan running if I park in a garage is loud..but not like embrassing. Most any car with an electric fan can run after shutdown if the car was run hard....heck...run the ac when stopped...the fan will run...
Unless this is just another ***** post trying to scare folks away from buying a 2015...
Been a few that have been completely BS.
I get my 45-50 mpg, ac on in a DSG car, going 72 mph.... can't​ complain doing fill-ups every 650+ miles with a great warrenty and $8500+ back....and I bought new, and well under list...about $22k...still better than folks buying "new".
Lol
Sorry...but the best time to buy a 2015 was 2015.
If you car doesn't sound right...get the dealer to work on it. It's under warranty.

Last edited:

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I hated interrupting a regen, but found they'd come on at the worst times. Shutting down while turbo, egt' s etc are hot is not good, but the high end synthetics can handle it. I still tried to idle down or wait it out.

If you don't like it, go gas. It's only a matter of time before they get DEF filters too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
My 2013 regens every 150 miles. Do the 2015+ cars have a different, longer period between regens? My ash volume is 33mL, so it's not like my DPF is bad and the car only has 45,000 miles...

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
My 2013 regens every 150 miles. Do the 2015+ cars have a different, longer period between regens? My ash volume is 33mL, so it's not like my DPF is bad and the car only has 45,000 miles...
2015 cars use different tech...sure there is the dpf, but it uses SCR, as opposed to a Lnt trap....yes, the 2015 regens about every 500-700 miles, LNT cars MUCH more frequently, and that is where much of the fuel savings is from. Same was true on heavy trucks....the frequent regens needed with a LNT TRAP (to operate legally) proved to be far too Inefficient, and the more bulky, more $$ SCR won.
Regens varry based on the sensors data, but there is a MAX limit between regens.

Last edited: