VW Golf TDi High Warranty

Cgreiner

TDI
2015 VW Gulf TDI
As it was a long day, I bought the extended warranty for a new 2015 Gulf TDI to go to 8yrs 96k miles. I have never bought the extended warranties in the past and am leaning towards cancelling as I am in the free cancellation period. Any thoughts on the reliability of these cars?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cancel it. Extended warranties are a huge money maker. Your car has a great emissions warranty for 11 years, and odds are you won't recover the warranty costs for repairs made outside the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

As an aside, it's a Golf, not a Gulf.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Your full fuel and emissions systems are covered for 11 yrs/162k mi. Drop it like a hot potato.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Ditto...
The $$$ stuff...the motor, HP fuel pump, and the emissions stuff is covered.
Unless you gets lots of transmission and electrical stuff fixed, maybe suspension (not covered) you will never get your $$ back. Save the $$, and use it for repairs.

vee-uu

TDI
('99 Cabrio), '06 Golf HB 5MT, '15 GSW 6MT
I may not know until 2024 if the $2k I spent covering my GSW SE for the five years beyond VW's CPO warranty will pay back in real dollars, though it pays back with peace of mind in the meantime. Panoramic roof comes to mind.

Also pays back in resale value, if applicable.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I may not know until 2024 if the $2k I spent covering my GSW SE for the five years beyond VW's CPO warranty will pay back in real dollars, though it pays back with peace of mind in the meantime. Panoramic roof comes to mind.

Also pays back in resale value, if applicable.

Best of luck, don't let anyone tell you what to do with your hard earned money, if it makes you worry less than totally worth it.

Same could be said for my AAA account seeing I've only used it once in the past 5 years, its totally not worth it, I could have saved all that the money and just paid for that jump that one time.

vee-uu

TDI
('99 Cabrio), '06 Golf HB 5MT, '15 GSW 6MT
Best of luck, don't let anyone tell you what to do with your hard earned money, if it makes you worry less than totally worth it.
Same could be said for my AAA account seeing I've only used it once in the past 5 years, its totally not worth it, I could have saved all that the money and just paid for that jump that one time.
Warrantees are simply insurance against loss. Don't buy a warranty in hopes that you have to use it in order to prove you made the right decision. Instead, buy one to eliminate concerns and add enjoyment for the term of the policy. You're buying peace of mind. Then, at the end, it doesn't matter if you actually had to use it.

In my situation, with technology advancing as it is, I'll likely sell my GSW within seven years and regain every penny of the warranty cost in resale value.

Last edited: