Easiest Wins + Upgrades for a Noob

ryth

TDI
2001 Golf
Hey everyone.

I'm pretty new to this forum and my tdi. I've got a 2001 golf, and loving it.

One thing I've noticed about the forum is a lot of the projects and hacks folks are doing are very involved, and maybe not super approachable for someone new to TDIs and VWs in general.

I'm wondering if maybe we could come up with a list or suggestions of easy or cheap wins for a someone new to the community.

So the question to you is:

If you were to suggest easy, quick, affordable upgrades for someone new/inexperienced to make to their MK4 TDI better, what would they be?

Example: Right now I'm going to swap out my original cloth seats for a nice pair of leather ones. It'll only cost me a couple hundred bucks and should make the car look a lot better -- not the best, but better than worn out cloth.

Cosmetic or performance/under-the-hood suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I'm new to TDIs, also. Or at least, I was new to them when I bought my Jetta TDI. One of my first projects was to clean out the intake manifold and EGR valve. It didn't cost much money, but did take some time and effort. It helps to have the right tools, and a repair manual.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308019

Read the above thread.
As you read any post in any thread look at the bottom of people's responses. They'll tell you everything from free like drl delete to aspheric mirror to grocery bag holder to lca bushing to skid plates to the expensive stuff like a new head or fancy pants turbo.

The people here like to talk about there cars!

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
IN addition to what has been mentioned,

Nozzles
Tune (or EVRY mod if you wanna go cheap)
boost gauge
upper strut mounts
get someone to program remote windows for you
mod your shifter "golfclub" to a short shifter (like the audi TT)
reseal your likely leaking injector pump (more complicated, but the seal kit is cheap)

I'll think of more.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Easy cheap wins.
1. Make sure it runs right
2. chip it
$200-$300?
Then there's bigger nozzles, stronger clutch.
And on and on....
You'll want to start with the TDI FAQ to help get it up to snuff. They're nice cars, fairly simple but different, and it is 17 years old.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
If you were to suggest easy, quick, affordable upgrades for someone new/inexperienced to make to their MK4 TDI better, what would they be?
Ventectomy Mod! For free.:) That made my Golf "better".

One of the very first things I purchased was VCDS, and the good news is, they're priced better now than they were back then. If you want to check your car's health, and get it all tuned up and dialed in, you'll need VCDS.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree with the above posts, except I'd tune it only until you want to replace the clutch. And I'd add one item: refresh the suspension. TDI owners are notorious for running struts and shocks long past worn out, and a car that steers and corners well will add a lot of driving pleasure.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
One simple easy thing I forgot: get a ScanGauge, or something similar. You get a code scanner, fuel economy computer, and auxiliary gauge pod all in one nifty little device.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
partial from MyTurboDiesel Clutch FAQ

Mk4 VW TDI, 1998-2005 new beetle, 1999.5-2003 jetta, 1999-2006 golf(top)

Stock clutch: ALH engine TDI came with 2 different clutches, both are solid hub and used with a DMF
1998-2000 cars used a 220mm Luk clutch, stock PP is VW# 028 141 025 p, clutch is # 028 141 036 L
2000-2003 cars used a 228mm Sachs clutch, stock PP is # 038 141 025 d, clutch is # 038 141 031 h or 038 131 032 dx
Model year 2000 cars may have either clutch but they probably have the sachs clutch.

The Luk clutch/pressure plate is not the same clutch used in the VW 1.8T gas engine but they look similar. The 1.8T engine 220mm PP is #06a 141 025 e, the 1.8T clutch is #06a 141 031 d. The 1.8T engine also used a 225mm clutch kit. The Luk TDI clutch can hold more torque (about 250 ft-lbs) than the Sachs TDI clutch (about 190 ft lbs) before slipping. These suggested torque limits are conservative and on the low end, some can go higher without slipping. A power chip alone may be enough to cause the later clutches to slip, depending on the specific driver, car mods, power curve, etc. Your car may be slightly different.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What do you mean by this?
Tune or injector upgrade only usually doesn't cause the stock clutch to slip if it's in good condition. But if you do both odds are the clutch will slip, especially in cold weather when the engine makes more power. So if you aren't ready to upgrade the clutch you may want to wait on the nozzle upgrade and get the car tuned only.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just getting a tune will make a huge difference in the way the engine performs, and will usually improve fuel economy as well. If after getting a tune you upgrade hardware, depending upon where you bought the tune, the tune upgrade might be free. Paying for one upgrade at a time helps to keep the big cash outlays under control. So start with a tune and then get nozzles and then (possibly) get a clutch and then a larger turbo. There a is post above that suggests a different order of buying upgrades, so the order is of course up to you.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
^^Agreed^^
Do your research and form your own strategy. There really is no magic combo.
But I'll say it again, make sure it's all happy before you go there.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
And yes, make sure any and all maintenance is up to date and correctly done. Otherwise the type of surprise you get may not be the kind you wanted.
Having access to VCDS is really needed especially at the age of our ALH TDI's. I have owned the HEX-CAN version for almost a decade and have never regretted my purchase.
I don't have a Scan Gauge and trying to look at VCDS while driving is dangerous! I did order an ELM327 (I think) Bluetooth OBDII reader and a copy of Torque Pro for my Android phone; I paid around $12.00 for both items and Torque Pro has a ton of great features: boost, temp, MPG, RPM, throttle position, speed, elapsed times and so much more.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I'm not new to the ALH but now I have a broken BEW, no idea what works on these. what's good on these?

exhaust and tune? do these need injectors/nozzles?

to the OP, an exhaust and tune is the best bet for these, checking your intake for gunk build up and EGR block off is a good start as well.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Is there a setting for the 03 ALH for the remote windows?
I haven't read a post if there is.
I believe so, not positive. Would have to have CAN access to modify it though.

As far as upgrades for power it depends on how much you can spend.

A tune in the ALH is the most beneficial, however, I don't recommend a tune unless you have access to a vcds!
You need to be able to set the adaptations and do some logging for the tuner.

If you get a vcds you can change many things and it will help a lot when working on the car.

There's alot you can do, you need to decide what you're more interested in, power or looks.

I read a post that someone said a new MAF was their favorite upgrade. An old one fives inaccurate readings to the ecm. A new one will bring it back to normal.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't have VCDS, I have VAD.
Run's on an old Palm Piolet Vx.
I have logged boost runs many times with it.
Also reprogramed the EGR (for testing of course) :)
It leaves some things to be desired but it basically works OK for me.
If there was a tune that got me 10 more MPG I might get it, but the stock power is adequate for me.
Remote windows with a setting change would be neat.

ryth

TDI
2001 Golf
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, a lot of this info is invaluable. Please keep em coming if you have more.