3.0 HPFP Failure, 2009 Q7 220k

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2009 Q7 2010 A3
I just found out my parents HPFP just puked metal shavings everwhere. Waiting to hear back from some independents, as we won't be paying Audi 10k to 13k for repairs. Very little information on here on 3.0 failures, and I will definitely be adding this to the list. Is the soap and air repair used on the 2.0 going to be about the same process here, or what's different? About 2k in parts and rest in labor.
Thanks
Brian

Last edited:

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi dealer has quoted 12k on first inspection. They have sought legal counsel and are attempting to reach a deal with AoA for partial compensation.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I'm not a lawyer, but they'd be hard pressed to get a dime from AoA at 220K. Then again, VW is fixing them all for free in the mk6's (stipulations pending of course). I'm truly sorry to hear this happened though. I can only imagine the horror of hearing a 12K repair bill, especially if there's still a lien on the car. I'd probably just go fetal position for a while.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Audi dealer has quoted 12k on first inspection. They have sought legal counsel and are attempting to reach a deal with AoA for partial compensation.
Don't settle for 50% of $12,000 or something ridiculous like that. Figure out what their at-cost pricing is and offer that, if anything.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
About 2k in parts and rest in labor.
Thanks
Brian
it is much more in parts.
It is not just HPFP that needs to be replace.
Whole fuel system has to be replace ,HPFP, other fuel pump, Injectors , fuel rail, fuel lines,clean Fuel tank.
Lot of labor and lot of parts.
Otherwise you will have same problem very shortly if you just replace HPFP.
I would say 8k-10k is about price where you will be .
Also at 200k miles AoA will do nothing at all .

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
Can someone help me figure out the part number for the tank lift pump?
The in line pump is still working, will it survive a cleaning, or should it be replaced?
If so, part number for it?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Can someone help me figure out the part number for the tank lift pump?
The in line pump is still working, will it survive a cleaning, or should it be replaced?
If so, part number for it?
Read my post above, all 3 pumps has to be replace .I know pump is working but has metal in side and if you keep it , it will damage HPFP again.
Basically you need to replace whole fuel system when this happen.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
What @jetta ,97 said.

VW/Audi are not the only manufacturers who say when this happens, you MUST replace the entire fuel system, because the fine metal particles that the HPFP spews contaminate everything, and cannot be cleaned sufficiently to prevent them from causing the HPFP from being destroyed a second time. BMW says the same thing, and somebody on the BMW forum was quoted $15,000 for it. It is such a costly repair to make, because not only is the parts list long and contains some very expensive pieces, but the labor involved in removing all those pieces and all the fuel lines adds up fast.

So even though some of those pieces still seem to function, they still have to be replaced unless you are into doing the job repeatedly every few thousand miles.

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand. Just checking on part #s We have everything out, injectors, pressure sensor and hoses went to Pete for cleaning, servicing. Ordering all three pumps from Jim Ellis Audi.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I'm not a lawyer, but they'd be hard pressed to get a dime from AoA at 220K. Then again, VW is fixing them all for free in the mk6's (stipulations pending of course). I'm truly sorry to hear this happened though. I can only imagine the horror of hearing a 12K repair bill, especially if there's still a lien on the car. I'd probably just go fetal position for a while.

Why is it that there is no action on such an issue?

If dealer/neutral party determines HPFP failure is the issue and VW is correcting other cars with HFPF...why are certain HPFP's being replaced and others not?

With this whole problem that VW caused themselves with the emissions scandal...I would rather buy a TDI with less then advertised clean emissions then to buy one with some ****ty pump that will **** the bed and give me brain hemorrhage

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
Having a HPFP go bad isn't really a failure on VW's part. Not having a filter/failsafe to catch the metal before it ruins the entire fuel system is.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Oh, and a caution on the 3.0L - check the driver camshafts to make sure they are still in time. Had a Touareg puke it's pump (fuel tank full of pink algae) and after insurance replaced the fuel system we found there was no compression on 1 cylinder and very low on 2 others on the driver side. Since the HPFP is driven by the cam intake cam on that side we figured the pump jammed with debris and caused the cam to jump a few teeth.

Insurance later totaled the Touareg and towed it away. Their Duramax was at Chevy dealer ship a block away with the same repair. Both were filled at the same boat ramp fuel station.

Jason

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Depends on where you are and your coverage. If you get a bad batch of fuel that falls under liability(?) coverage, same as if a branch fell on your car in your driveway.

Jason

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, 3 months and 8k later, we got it back on the road. Made it about 1k miles before it melted a cylinder. Now looking for new engine.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well, 3 months and 8k later, we got it back on the road. Made it about 1k miles before it melted a cylinder. Now looking for new engine.
What caused it to melt a cylinder? Failed fuel injector? Did the $8,000 HPFP replacement include new fuel injectors?

unseenthings

Veteran Member
TDI
We had Pete at DBW rebuild the injectors. I know misfuel injectors have caused problems on powerstrokes and duramaxes, but when I asked Pete about it he replied, quote "The engine would have signal a quantity deviation code and an engine light if that injector was firing incorrectly or over fueling in that cylinder the reason is the crank acceleration for that cylinder would've been completely out of specification."
As of yet we do not have a concrete reason for the failure, but I suspect it is somehow related to the HPFP replacement process.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If you want to shoot the injectors over to us we can (at no charge) test and see if there is anything obvious.

The Engine monitors every injection of each injector anytime the engine is running. The engine monitors crank acceleration, Combustion pressure, and other variables to monitor the output of each cylinders injector individually.

If at anytime an injector shows a deviation, it will throw a code and trigger the specific injectors output deviation.

The injectors since each has very specific and tight control tolerances insures that the slightest deviation is caught by the ECU during engine operation.

Here is a copy of your original injector report after they were cleaned and tested. Which injector was it that the cylinder was using that failed? reference using the IMA code on the top of the injector, we can cross reference that to the stored data we have on that injector...

As you can see, each of them was exactly to spec once the injectors were cleaned.

Curious what failed in the cylinder... was it visually checked using a Boroscope?

Last edited:

cserrin

TDI
2009 Q7 TDI
HPFP Catastrophic Failure on my 2009 Q7 TDI

Sudden HPFP failure. Car would not start. Had to call flatbed. Dealer SErvice tech said exploded metal shards thru entire fuel system. $10k bill.

Right after I got Audi letter stating HPFP extended warranty to 120k ... I took my Audi in at 114k, and asked they check and replace my HPFP. They said everything was fine. 10k miles later it failed at 124k miles! ... just past warranty!!! Dealer refused to pay. I collaborated many times with Audi and they eventually covered $4k of it (I paid $4.5k).

This is ridiculous. Had I know all the catastrophic failures on a 1000's of occurrences, I would have gladly replaced it at 114k and paid much of it. To have it fail randomly, basically a ticking time-bomb that Bosch and Audi was aware of is criminal. I really like my Q7, as had it since 2009, but dont' like feeling that fuel system is inferior and could have issues anytime.

Yeah, yeah, the scandal will replace it soon, but I planned to keep it until need to do the buyback program. I just might do it sooner, because uneasy. I always thought I'd buy another Audi ... but still feeling a burned by something they coudl have easily taken care of earlier ... and more proactive when catastrophe! Writing this just to be one of the thousands who have had this issue. Maybe someone will keep a tally. Maybe a lawsuit will get me my money back on this separate hpfp issue.