Will 2004 Jetta ECU work with 2005 Jetta

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
Double checking here now. Probably should have done that first. I ordered part number 038 906 016 H. I was not gonna break windshield wipers off until i got the replacement. VCDS showed the numbers but not the suffix letter. Can the gurus enlighten us?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Are both mk4 jettas with BEW engines?
Is the one you're getting brand new or previously married to a car?
If used, was the immobilizer deleted?

I believe the letter at the end refers to a specific manufacturer that made the part for vw.
I'm sure others will correct if this is not the case.

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
Are both mk4 jettas with BEW engines? Yes

"Is the one you're getting brand new or previously married to a car?" Was pulled out of a retired car

"If used, was the immobilizer deleted?" I don't know. Most likely not.

I believe the letter at the end refers to a specific manufacturer that made the part for vw.
I'm sure others will correct if this is not the case.

Waiting on the knowledge.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
ETKA shows H, Q, and AG suffixes for the BEW ECU, all are Bosch. No idea what the exact difference is, other than it is VIN split specific. Chances are, once the immo is deleted, they will all be interchangeable with each other.

The tuners probably could be of more help here.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Even if/when the immobilizer is deleted (unless you do other changes with keys/ignition/etc the engine won't stay running) unless you have the gauge cluster "paired" with the ECU the immobilizer light will continually flash, but the engine will still run. I've been ok with letting mine flash but will probably eventually have the cluster/ECU matched up.
Immobilizer delete is relatively inexpensive.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Even if/when the immobilizer is deleted (unless you do other changes with keys/ignition/etc the engine won't stay running) unless you have the gauge cluster "paired" with the ECU the immobilizer light will continually flash, but the engine will still run. I've been ok with letting mine flash but will probably eventually have the cluster/ECU matched up.
Immobilizer delete is relatively inexpensive.
If you do Immo delete in ECU Immo light will flash only if you have unauthorized key that has not been program to immobilizer.
If you do only ECU swap with Immo delete all will be good.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Double checking here now. Probably should have done that first. I ordered part number 038 906 016 H. I was not gonna break windshield wipers off until i got the replacement. VCDS showed the numbers but not the suffix letter. Can the gurus enlighten us?
If your car in MK4 then you should be OK.
BUT ,
Those cars had 2 different update over original software and this could be your problem. So those ECU are sold with original part number on top of the ECU label but when you scan with VCDS it could be different part number with different software version.
It was total of 3 SW versions and 3 Different part numbers.
Then problem will come at Glow plugs , Ceramic 7V vs metal 5V.

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
Regarding reflash for 5v steel glow plugs, if I needed it, what is the least expensive and most reliable easy way to do this ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Bully any VW dealership to do it free. Otherwise you need a tuner. Should be under a hundred for a GP flash and an immobilizer delete, don't really know.
Is it possible to just leave the GP system alone?

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
I guess the adventure starts once i start pairing the new used ecu to my car. Keeping in mind that i only need to pass the smog test with it, i will do the least amount of work to get that done. If i can leave the glow plugs alone, i would.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If you do Immo delete in ECU Immo light will flash only if you have unauthorized key that has not been program to immobilizer.
If you do only ECU swap with Immo delete all will be good.
Not to hijack the original thread, but are you saying if I get the key(s) programmed to the swapped in TDI ECU the flashing immobilizer light will stay off?
I swapped a 2003 TDI engine, ECU (had the immobilizer deleted) and cluster into a 2003 1.8 chassis and still using the gas chassis key(s). Runs great, immobilizer light flashes. Doesn't bother me much, but I don't drive it much at night.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Not to hijack the original thread, but are you saying if I get the key(s) programmed to the swapped in TDI ECU the flashing immobilizer light will stay off?
I swapped a 2003 TDI engine, ECU (had the immobilizer deleted) and cluster into a 2003 1.8 chassis and still using the gas chassis key(s). Runs great, immobilizer light flashes. Doesn't bother me much, but I don't drive it much at night.
I said if you ONLY SWAP ECU.
If you swap cluster and do not have key programed to that cluster, then YES , immo light will flash,Or if you use unprogrammed key to existing cluster with Immo off in ECU car will start but immo light will flash .

OP ask only for ECU SWAP.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I guess the adventure starts once i start pairing the new used ecu to my car. Keeping in mind that i only need to pass the smog test with it, i will do the least amount of work to get that done. If i can leave the glow plugs alone, i would.

It all depend what you have in car , and what new ECU will come with.

-Original SW was 7V ceramic
-First SW Update was 5V metal
-Latest SW Update was 7v ceramic,

Example ,
you have original SW and get latest SW with 7V ceramic, then they are compatible.
But if you have SW with 5V metal and get ECU with 7V ceramic then they are not comparable it will burn your Glow Plugs.In this case you need to reflash ECU yo 5V metal. But Dealer can not do that . They can do only latest SW update with 7V ceramic.

How do you plan to Pair new ECU to your car?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI

What exactly is the nature of wanting to replace the ECU in the first place?

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
I want to pass California smog test. Current ecu has tune with egr delete which causes egr readiness monitor to "fail or incomplete"

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so you need a retune. Another ECU won't help you. And you'll have to jump through software hoops to get it to work, more than you likely would just having your existing ECU made to be OBD compliant.

And this assumes that your car has no EGR physical delete that the tester may notice and fail you anyway. Not sure how your testing there works.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Or keep looking and get a used ECU with the same part no. as what's in there. You might get lucky and find one near $150.
Also- And this assumes that your car has no EGR physical delete that the tester may notice and fail you anyway.