Recommended 2011 Jetta tdi engine oil

hoffgra9286

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
New to the site, but I recently bought a 2011 Jetta tdi and I’m trying to take as best care of it as I can. What I’m struggling with is what oil to use. In the manual it says the cars were manufactured using SAE 5w40 and it’s recommened I use a vw 507 grade. I cannot find an oil in this grade in any oreilys, advance, or Napa within a half hour of my home (nw Iowa). Can anyone give me advice for an oil I should use that more stores would carry or recommend what I should order online? An advance auto employee was sure Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) SAE 5w40 would work but on the back it’s only rated for vw 501 01/502 00/ 505 00. Any advice would be great.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or any VW dealer would have it for sure. My dealer is very close in price to what I could get it online for. The required oils for these cars have never really been an off the shelf type item. Idparts is an excellent online source though as well as others in our supporters in the dealers for sale section here.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
507.00 oils are 5W30. No 40 weight, as a fuel economy standard is part of the certification. Owners manuals are notoriously misleading on this topic.

Any oil that meets the 507.00 spec is good. Castrol, Liqui-Moly, Total, Pentosin, Rowe all have 507.00 oils. Not sure you'll find any of those at an auto parts store.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
In the manual it says the cars were manufactured using SAE 5w40
My owners manual does not say that.:confused: Neither did the manual that came with my 2009 & 2010 JSW. Spec was always 5W30 504/507.
My local Autozone carries Mobil-1 ESP Formula 5W-30 507 rated. If your local store doesn't carry it, it can be usually ordered and delivered overnight.
NAPA carries the Liqui-Moly brand and can also have just about anything delivered the next day. Liqui-Moly Top Tech 4200 5w-30 is what you want.
With all that said IdParts carries the best selection and best price delivered to your door.

Last edited:

hoffgra9286

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I’ve been checking for Mobil esp but have not been able to find any. It’s looking like online is my best choice thanks everyone��