Hard start even when warm

sgnhis

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
This is a 2000 Jetta. In the last couple of weeks it has been hard to start. Turns over many times but finally starts. The strange thing is that it flat cut off at highway speed and would not restart for hours. Jumped it and it finally kicked over after a lot of cranks. Owned it for 3 years and never put any additives in fuel. Seems like it is staved for fuel. The check engine light is on - presumably glow plug related. The thing that has me stumped is why is it hard to start once it is warmed up? Added a BG anti gel product and topped it off. Just stared it up, was a little hard but not to bad. Drove it around for fifteen minutes and shut it off and it started right back up no problem. My fuel leaving the filter looks like the consistency a 7/11 slurpy. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

1st post

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You've got an air leak somewhere...

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Hard starting

Have you every replaced the fuel filter? Check the thermostatic T for leaks, cracks. I agree you have air lerak somewhere!:eek:

sgnhis

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I replaced the fuel filter a little over two years ago. Where is the thermostat T located or is it obvious? Thanks again!

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
it's on top of the fuel filter... two years??? the're supposed to be replaced every 20,000 miles...

alphaseinor

TDI
yes it can cause this problem... the only pump in your system is the one hanging off of the front side of the engine... It will pull whatever has the lowest resistance... fuel or air...

if it's pulling air from the thermostatic T 'o'rings being bad or the T being cracked... then definately.

alphaseinor

TDI

sgnhis

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just ordered a fuel filter from my WorldPac acct...but couldn't find a listing for a thermostat T. BTW-what does that part do?

Thanks for all your feedback -- big help!

alphaseinor

TDI
the part will recirculate warm fuel from the injeciton pump into the fuel filter on cold days to help prevent gelling.