Tranny Mount

LotusMark

Hi

For the second time in 50k miles the tranny casting has given away where the bolts go through for the mount. Has any one else experienced this? Any ideas on the cause? It is covered under warranty, but this seems to be a design or engineering flaw. I am seriously considering trading in the car just so I don't have to deal with this in a non-warrenty situation.

Mark

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IF it is the tranny casting I would call VW customer service and file a complaint AFTER checking with a dealer on the warrenty. It should be covered.

jmur

Veteran Member
Pretty strange, I wonder if something may not be right with one of the other mounts resulting in abnormal loads on the transmission mount?

Oldman

Top Post Dawg
is the dog bone mount placed under the car? I assume you mean the top trans mount? Don't know how this could break? Where is it broken, can over tightening cause it? I know some brokanics that put cars together with impact wrenches.

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
I assume you are talking about the lower mount I have seen a friend of mine break the pedulaum mount casting twice now. But I have also seen the upper right side tranny mount also break. The aluminum casting that holds the rubber insert all together just split in half letting that rubber mount that was once sandwiched in there move quite freely.

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
Here are a couple pics of a busted upper that was on a modded up 1.8T jetta

I will try and get a pic of my friends sheared off lower mount this weekend.

[ December 13, 2002, 18:36: Message edited by: TDi RAY ]