7 volt steel glow plug's available?

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Has anybody sourced steel 7 volt glow plugs for these PD engines. Most of which I find is either 7 volt ceramic or 5 volt steel and wanted to avoid the whole dealer re-flash for 5 volt is at all possible. BTW, I did search the posts here and didn't find any posts say after 2011 so maybe somebody has figured it out.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The newest plug is an NGK 7v, part number is N-105-916-09. Note these are NOT the same 7v NGK plugs that the BRM uses. These are ONLY for BEWs, BHWs, and BKWs, to replace the original Bosch 7v plugs (as a set).

I have no idea what it is made of.

I've been running the 5v Bosch in mine for the last 90k miles without issue, with an RC1 tune that included the part for the 5v plugs.

The stock original software (unmolested) works fine with the 7v NGKs just as it did with the original 7v Bosch.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I installed a set of these new NGK 7 volts a couple of months ago and I shipped the ECU back to Rocket-Chip for the needed adjustment for the new GP's. Car starts great now !

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
thanks, I think the NGK's are ceramic but I never have had any trouble with the ceramics in My 05 Passat so I'm guessing this engine I'm putting together for somebody won't either. I was hoping for steel but as long as they'll work with the stock ECU he should be fine

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The newest GPs (the NGKs) are hybrid - Steel/Ceramic. OE were ceramic 7V and there were a lot of failures and pooched engines. The first recall was the all steel 5V GP, followed by the current hybrid 7V recall.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I suggest replacing the old ones as they can get stuck and sometimes broke. No is the best time to remove them while rebuilding the engine

aggieengnr

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW w/ 09A
The newest plug is an NGK 7v, part number is N-105-916-09. Note these are NOT the same 7v NGK plugs that the BRM uses. These are ONLY for BEWs, BHWs, and BKWs, to replace the original Bosch 7v plugs (as a set).

I have no idea what it is made of.

I've been running the 5v Bosch in mine for the last 90k miles without issue, with an RC1 tune that included the part for the 5v plugs.

The stock original software (unmolested) works fine with the 7v NGKs just as it did with the original 7v Bosch.
Reviving an old post... If my car has never had any of the 2 GP recalls done, do I still need an ECU re-flash to change from the original GP's to the ceramic/steel hybrid NGK's or can I simply remove the old GP's and replace with the NGK's? *knock on wood* I don't have any GP problems right now; just trying to be proactive towards any winter problems (and peace of mind).

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
No you swap with out a software change.

Print out OH's how to on changing the GP's.

Good luck!

Mike_in_PA

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Candy White
Question on N-105-916-09, is this a real product at 11$ each? I need to change the harness on these and may try to change the GPs. Nice write up I get the P0672 error code about 20% of the time (clear it with scanguage) and I am hoping it is just in the harness, which is cracked. I have had the car from new, and never followed up on the GP recall. 86 k miles at this point, manufacturing date 12/04. TIA for any wisdom.

Edit, I will check the resistance of each plug once the harness is off. If they are all good, any opinions on just leaving them in? Any way to ID them without removing them? I do not plan to drive this car more than another 20k miles total over the next four years. More thanks.

Another edit, since this is the BEW, yes, I have always had 505.01 spec 5w40 oil in it, change intervals around 7k.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Is yours a Passat? If yes then it is BHW engine. I can’t recall if the original GPs were 5v or 7v. I know there were 2 software updates and the latest uses the 7v GPs which is the # you have listed. If you scan the ECU and post the part # we can tell which version you are on.

Mike_in_PA

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Candy White
Hey vwz,

2005 Jetta GLS, like your Passat but a few inches shorter. BEW engine. I have never been back to the dealer, so I am assuming that it is the as-built ECU software version, which I believe was 7 volt. I am just surprised to see such a wide range of prices for the NGK part. $11 only makes sense (to me) if there is excess stock out there and sellers are trying to move them--or there are low quality fakes out there being sold. So that is my first question, is $11 for this part reasonable in 2023 or steer clear?

I believe the NGK 7 volt is the correct drop-in replacement part for the original 7 volt ceramic. My second question is whether I should just leave the original as-built GPs in there, or try to gently get them threaded out and replaced. I see information out there that they are fragile and can break off in the engine, and that they are fragile and can break off during removal. This state is in some ways a metaphor for other parts of my life these days.

Right now, starting the car, there are no GP error codes. I am assuming the intermittent GP error codes would be traceable to a bad harness, and that an always GP error code upon starting means a bad GP. So that is another question, can GPs themselves throw intermittent error codes like I have seen for the past five years?

yadic

TDI
just looking
Hey vwz,

2005 Jetta GLS, like your Passat but a few inches shorter. BEW engine. I have never been back to the dealer, so I am assuming that it is the as-built ECU software version, which I believe was 7 volt. I am just surprised to see such a wide range of prices for the NGK part. $11 only makes sense (to me) if there is excess stock out there and sellers are trying to move them--or there are low quality fakes out there being sold. So that is my first question, is $11 for this part reasonable in 2023 or steer clear?

I believe the NGK 7 volt is the correct drop-in replacement part for the original 7 volt ceramic. My second question is whether I should just leave the original as-built GPs in there, or try to gently get them threaded out and replaced. I see information out there that they are fragile and can break off in the engine, and that they are fragile and can break off during removal. This state is in some ways a metaphor for other parts of my life these days.

Right now, starting the car, there are no GP error codes. I am assuming the intermittent GP error codes would be traceable to a bad harness, and that an always GP error code upon starting means a bad GP carpet removal tampa. So that is another question, can GPs themselves throw intermittent error codes like I have seen for the past five years?
Glow Plug Type and Voltage: You're looking for steel 7 volt glow plugs for PD engines. You've mentioned that you've come across 7 volt ceramic and 5 volt steel options but are hoping to avoid the need for a dealer re-flash for the 5 volt plugs.

2. Seeking Advice or Information: You're reaching out to the community to inquire if anyone has successfully sourced steel 7 volt glow plugs for these PD engines. You mention that your search in previous posts didn't yield relevant information, and you're hoping someone might have found a solution since then.