Engine Cuts Out When Accelerating Hard In First Gear

Chaput87

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Just in first gear. If I press the accelerator more than 1/3-1/2 of the way down, when it gets to about 2500 RPM's or so the engine seems like it "cuts fuel"

Runs fine other than that. Just had a new cam/lifter set put in with a new MAF. I am at 230K. I can give it full throttle in any other gear and it doesn't have a problem. When it starts cutting out if you keep your foot on the accelerator it just continues to decelerate. As soon as you let up it returns to normal.

I have been searching and trying to figure out if anyone else has had this problem but I couldn't find anything. I was thinking the fuel filter needs replaced but it should act up more in a higher gear under load if that's the case I would think.

Any Ideas?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Agreed
Cheap first step....fuel filter. PDs crap them out. If you pull the return fuel TEE out of the filter and it looks black inside the hole, feel good that you did the right thing whether it fixes your problem or not.

Chaput87

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
No Codes, No Light. It's very odd.

Yeah, I am going to try to pull the Fuel Filter Today or tomorrow and check/replace it. Any problems with getting a cheap one from Ebay?

With gas engines a fuel filter would cause stumbling when trying to accelerate on the highway more so than around town but maybe the diesel behaves a bit differently?

I was also wondering if it's a problem where I need to take it in for a ECU Update...

JETaah

TDI
Any problems with getting a cheap one from Ebay?...
Yeah. Why would you want to do that? There are very tiny orifices in the injectors and they could easily get clogged if the particulate don't get filtered out. If you have been using cheapo filters, that may have brought all this on in the first place. If it is a clog issue, you better hope it is the filter and not the injectors..$$$$

Can't you justify spending just a few dollars more every 20K miles?
What ever it costs, get a Mahle, Mann, Hengst, or OEM VW which is probably one of the brands mentioned. Avoid Meyle brand anything if possible. Autozone, etc... choices may or may not be quality but most likely is a Chinese manufactured part. I've never tried Wix.

EDIT:
I don't mean to beat up on the Chinese. What I am referring to is a low end product that has become synonymous with products made there. Some VW OEM fuel filters are labelled with the Made in China as well. I wonder how they compare to the Mann, Mahle, etc ...manufactured filters?

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Even if you get a filter pack from a vendor such as idparts.com the price of the kit is really just a little more than what a dealer wants for the fuel filter alone. They sell good stuff.

Chaput87

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Yeah. Why would you want to do that? There are very tiny orifices in the injectors and they could easily get clogged if the particulate don't get filtered out. If you have been using cheapo filters, that may have brought all this on in the first place. If it is a clog issue, you better hope it is the filter and not the injectors..$$$$

Can't you justify spending just a few dollars more every 20K miles?
What ever it costs, get a Mahle, Mann, Hengst, or OEM VW which is probably one of the brands mentioned. Avoid Meyle brand anything if possible. Autozone, etc... choices may or may not be quality but most likely is a Chinese manufactured part. I've never tried Wix.

EDIT:
I don't mean to beat up on the Chinese. What I am referring to is a low end product that has become synonymous with products made there. Some VW OEM fuel filters are labelled with the Made in China as well. I wonder how they compare to the Mann, Mahle, etc ...manufactured filters?

Yup, that's why I asked. I have found over 80% of the car parts on Ebay are junk. This car is new to me actually and I am doing my first rounds of service. This is my first Diesel as well and I noticed that the replacement interval is 5x that of a gasoline engine. I wasn't sure how tolerant the injectors and fuel system were. Sometimes you can get the exact same thing in an off brand though because they are the ones making the Brand Name versions.

Ordered a Mahle for $22 shipped.

JETaah

TDI
Air in the system? Does this happen consistently throughout the warm up and run cycle? Can you put a clear fuel line from filter out to the tandem pump in to see what is happening there?

Chaput87

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
The only time it happens is when you give it more then 1/2 throttle in first gear.
Warm or cold.

You can give full throttle all the way down through the detent switch in 3rd 4th and 5th and it never stumbles. (I'm a bit leary of pinning the throttle down in 2nd gear and causing a shift back to 1st at a high rpm)

FixItDaily

TDI
2003 Golf
I know this thread is old but I’m having the exact problem. Can’t accelerate hard in first gear without the car blowing a huge cloud of black smoke and chugging, then it either dies or takes a bit to sort itself out. No CEL’s, used a Q-loader to look for codes, and no codes. Car has a 3-bar MAP sensor from Kerma, it also has a VNT-17, 520 injectors and just last week I installed a Colt stage II cam and a ported and polished head from Kerma. The car is tuned, and it ran strong for a couple of days following the installation then BAM! Now I can’t accelerate hard in first gear. None of these mods have more than 50,000 miles on them. I looked at all the vacuum lines to make sure nothing came off, looked at all the electrical plugs and everything is good there, intake was great when I removed it but I cleaned it anyway. Car does not have an EGR. So I’m lost.

FixItDaily

TDI
2003 Golf
It sure does, the person that started this thread said if he applies more than 1/2 throttle beyond 2,500 rpm the car seems to cut fuel. He also said that he was able to accelerate at full throttle in every other gear. Sounds a lot like my problem. Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It sure does, the person that started this thread said if he applies more than 1/2 throttle beyond 2,500 rpm the car seems to cut fuel. He also said that he was able to accelerate at full throttle in every other gear. Sounds a lot like my problem. Thanks!
You have a 2003 ALH Golf (in your sig)?

The OP has a 2004 BHW Passat.

Completely different car, completely different engine, completely different fuel system.

FixItDaily

TDI
2003 Golf
You’re correct, the problems were so similar. This is the closest I could find to a problem that had the same symptoms mine has been having. Other people have problems accelerating hard but it’s every gear. Mine is only in first. Maybe he found it was a vacuum leak, or the actuator for the turbo, maybe he discovered it was air in the fuel, or water. Or that his intercooler has filled with oil or water. Maybe he discovered that it was timing related too much advance or retard... Those principles are the same. That’s why I posted my problem here.