VW diesel sales now 41% for comparable-model sales

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Volkswagen's diesel sales in the U.S. moved from 36% to 41% for Q3 comparable-model sales, according to a report from the Diesel Driver.

BMW's diesel sales rose dramatically, to 73% in the third quarter.

More buyers chose the Jetta Sportwagen TDI and the Toureg TDI over the equivalent gasoline model consistently in the first 9 months of 2010. Sales of TDI Golfs and Jettas were consistent with prior periods.

See the Diesel Driver article for a fairly in-depth analysis and spreadsheet.

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Diesel Driver Article: U.S. 3Q2010 diesel sales analysis

Surprise, surprise: Diesel sales in the US are steadily growing in spite of minuscule fanfare especially compared to hybrids.

A growing % of car sales from VW, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW are for diesels:

YTD in 2010, comparable car diesel sales represent about 1/3 of sales for these guys.

The BMW 335d overtook sales of 335i in Q3.

By 3-1 buyers bought a Tourag TDI over petrol in Q3 (about same ratio as Jetta Sportwagen YTD sales, I think)

In total volume of diesel car sales, VW trumps the others at about 14k - I'd assume because its hard start and the Jetta/Golf price point reaches a broader addressable market.

Hopefully I didn't screw up any of these tidbits. More details of course and a detailed spreadsheet included in the article.

Link to article: http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2010/10/diesel-economics-201/

Mods: I didn't know where to post this and guessed here. So, please move to appropriate forum as, well, appropriate :)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
MarkusW said:
Volkswagen's diesel sales in the U.S. moved from 36% to 41% for Q3 comparable-model sales, according to a report from the Diesel Driver.
Surprise, surprise: Diesel sales in the US are steadily growing in spite of minuscule fanfare especially compared to hybrids.
NIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!! :cool:

More diesel demand = More diesel choices in the USA! :cool:

Diesel is sort of a quiet invader where it simply appears as one of the available engine options. Unlike all the gasser-hybrid hype, the invasion won't be publicized. :cool:

Last edited:

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
All the growth in Audi A3 sales in the US was from TDI sales. A3 sales up, gassers remained flat, TDI's drove the growth in sales.

Audi Planning to 'More Than Double' Diesel Models in U.S. Lineup

"....For the A3, TDI models represent about 50 percent of overall sales at this point and diesel is where all A3 sales growth has occurred in the last year.
"If you look at last year's A3 sales number for the gasoline version, it has stayed essentially flat this year," Keogh said.

"Diesel business growth has been 100 percent incremental" for the A3, he said, meaning the diesels provide growth without "the substitution issues" of losing sales in one category because of gains in another.....Meanwhile, TDI versions represent about 40 percent of overall sales of the Q7...."

Above from older thread re Audi sales at mid-year
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=145491

Last edited:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Before I dust off my pom poms, diesel is $3.19/gal where I live. Some of it is seasonal variation in demand, but what happens if in the next few years hundreds of thousands of diesel cars are added to the fleet? Does the addtional supply pressure added to trucking, air travel, shipping and space heating demands drive diesel price up?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Before I dust off my pom poms, diesel is $3.19/gal where I live. Some of it is seasonal variation in demand, but what happens if in the next few years hundreds of thousands of diesel cars are added to the fleet? Does the addtional supply pressure added to trucking, air travel, shipping and space heating demands drive diesel price up?
I think folks are starting to compare like for like mpg " cost mile driven" MSG#46, Is America ready for diesel?

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I justed paid$2.89/gal.If you can afford A3 TDI or a Tourag TDI you can afford $3.00/gal for fuel.It would real nice if diesel cars didn't have to pay the road tax.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I attribute the rising costs of diesel to the required 'improvements' in fuel quality. Now that we have to use ULSD the price is higher than gasoline.

When I was 16, I remember buying diesel for well under a dollar a gallon in Iowa. I think it was $0.78, much cheaper than gasoline! Since USLD diesel seems to almost always cost more than gas per gallon. Fortunately that price difference has always been offset by its very high energy content.

I wouldn't consider passenger cars to be the main competitor for diesel resources because they really just sip fuel, but I am with you... I wonder if there would be a diesel market effect.. and if it could be measured... if the diesel passenger car fleet gets bigger.

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Heating oil demand/cost also generally impacts diesel cost at the pump on a seasonal basis, I think. Diesel is very close in cut to heating oil.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
A few hundred thousand cars taht drive a few dozen miles a day on average and get >45mpg?

How many heavy trucks on the road in the US? How many miles driven daily, how many mpg?
How many diesel locomotives in operation across the US? How many hours worked, how much fuel?
How many ships is US waters, airplanes in US airspace? How many tractors and harvesters on US fields, how many diesel powered construction machines, how many diesel fueled home heating boilers, how many diesel generators, water pumping stations, etc?

There is absolutely zip chance that diesel powered cars sold in the US will have any impcat on the price of diesel fuel anytime soon.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Comparable fuel taxes

I justed paid$2.89/gal.If you can afford A3 TDI or a Tourag TDI you can afford $3.00/gal for fuel.It would real nice if diesel cars didn't have to pay the road tax.
To put it in a more fair context I would say that it would be nice to pay comparable taxes (in terms of percentage) to unleaded gasoline.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
A few hundred thousand cars taht drive a few dozen miles a day on average and get >45mpg?

How many heavy trucks on the road in the US? How many miles driven daily, how many mpg?
How many diesel locomotives in operation across the US? How many hours worked, how much fuel?
How many ships is US waters, airplanes in US airspace? How many tractors and harvesters on US fields, how many diesel powered construction machines, how many diesel fueled home heating boilers, how many diesel generators, water pumping stations, etc?

There is absolutely zip chance that diesel powered cars sold in the US will have any impcat on the price of diesel fuel anytime soon.
Those are all fixed demands that cannot use an alternative fuel. I'm talking about a scenario of tight supply and massive adoption of diesel in the USA over many years, not a few cars here and there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In addition to the treatment to reduce the sulfur, the oil companies make more money on gasoline. They run the diesel fraction back through the cracker and force it to produce more gasline. Will more diesel cars raise the price of diesel? I think that more diesel cars (sustantially, like at least a quarter of the fleet) will allow the processor to make a higher profit on diesel without having to increase the cost. More demand, more sales, more profit. however, if the big engines are also becoming more efficient, then the overall fuel demand may not change.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Gasoline has the sulfur reduced also. Back in 1975 when the sulfur was still high in gas you would get a rotten egg smell.

So on price the diesel taking sulfur out should not be a factor.
Gasoline cost to Home heating oil cost the Home heating oil runs about 13 to 15 cents higher today it was 13 cents.

The cost of diesel is passed along to the consumer, truckers , trains , farms have to pass the cost along.

That means everthing cost a few cents more.
If we reduced the cost of diesel we would have a much faster recovery or we should.

scott1050

TDI
10 Jetta TDI
so do u think any other car maker will look at this and say hey we need to sell those ....................NO and its crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Heating oil demand/cost also generally impacts diesel cost at the pump on a seasonal basis, I think. Diesel is very close in cut to heating oil.

wow !!

is heating oil a new way to heat up your home ? has it only surfaced in the last 6 years ? modern oil furnases are way more efficient than they used to be and people still don't want them, they prefer gas

In case you have not noticed , energy is the big game for big thieves for this decade. whether it's natural gas ,oil , electricity and it can be traded and exported , it will only get more expensive. Remember Enron ?

The rest of the "excuses" is for the brainwashed masses

on the topic : we are still far behind Europe in diesel passenger car fleet ,no real impact in supply. now wait time in the pumps may increase

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
wow !!

is heating oil a new way to heat up your home ? has it only surfaced in the last 6 years ? modern oil furnases are way more efficient than they used to be and people still don't want them, they prefer gas
Lots of places in the northern US are too cold to run heat pumps, and have no natgas supply by pipe. So oil is still used there. Even the most efficient furnace still can only make as much heat is in the fuel (less stack losses) where a heat pump can make many times the heat compared to electric power input. No good at zero F though.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
09' Black Jetta TDI manny tranny, tan pleather, wd6050 hd
I'm on board with this

To say any impact I disagree, but a very marginal impact I can get on board with.

I work in heavy industry, we have several operations that burn an entire tanker of diesel a DAY. Those things hold 5-6k gallons (210,000 miles in my TDI).

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Hopefully VW is seeing the demand for diesels. I can't tell you how many times as a dealer I've had customers ask about the TDI Polo, Tiguan and Passat. I'm glad we are getting a Passat sized TDI this coming year, but if we could get a TDI Tiguan, we'd all but corner the crossover market. (in my opinion).

Jerry

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
Hopefully VW is seeing the demand for diesels. I can't tell you how many times as a dealer I've had customers ask about the TDI Polo, Tiguan and Passat. I'm glad we are getting a Passat sized TDI this coming year, but if we could get a TDI Tiguan, we'd all but corner the crossover market. (in my opinion).

Jerry
Jerry, you're preaching to the choir here :) I've been saying a TDI Tig would be a segment-buster. VWoA's PR guy tells me their research says (damn focus groups again) they can't sell a diesel Tig for enough money here to justify it. Instead we get the TDI Sportwagen - a nice car certainly, but not a CUV. If Mazda ends up selling their CX-7 here with the new Sky-D diesel, they'll own a big chunk of the crossover segment.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
It all depends. If more diesels pour into the states, and the oil companies ramp up production of diesel then prices will go down below gas prices. If they don't it will go the other way :(

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Jerry, you're preaching to the choir here :) I've been saying a TDI Tig would be a segment-buster. VWoA's PR guy tells me their research says (damn focus groups again) they can't sell a diesel Tig for enough money here to justify it. Instead we get the TDI Sportwagen - a nice car certainly, but not a CUV. If Mazda ends up selling their CX-7 here with the new Sky-D diesel, they'll own a big chunk of the crossover segment.
Tiguan is a nice cross over but a little too small for rear storage. That and the price difference was the reason I purchased a CR-V two years ago. CR-V fully loaded was about $5k less and had more luggage room. This year, I wanted a new diesel and the JSW was the only thing I considered. Again, it was the luggage room compared to the Golf. With one in college and the second getting ready to go, hauling room is one of the main things I will not sacrifice.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Lots of places in the northern US are too cold to run heat pumps, and have no natgas supply by pipe. So oil is still used there. Even the most efficient furnace still can only make as much heat is in the fuel (less stack losses) where a heat pump can make many times the heat compared to electric power input. No good at zero F though.
There are good geothermal heat pump systems. They use buried water lines or wells, to get a near-steady temperature between 50 and 60 deg F, for the heat pump to work with. They cost more to install, but can make a good heat pump system for a far northern location.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
A few of my neighbors are installing those, don't know how much they cost. Gets pretty chilly where I live. :D

Mad_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Highline TDI - 6sp Manual
There are good geothermal heat pump systems. They use buried water lines or wells, to get a near-steady temperature between 50 and 60 deg F, for the heat pump to work with. They cost more to install, but can make a good heat pump system for a far northern location.
I installed a geo heatpump in my house and it cut my heating bill in half (I had natural gas previously).

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

No way geothermal heat pump would work up north.When the ambient Temp drops down to 42/43 degree the eletric elements come on to help keep temp in the house.They are nothing but problems,they only last for 10 to 15 years if you lucky

johnson05

TDI
2012 golfwagon
Heat pumps work just fine up north. The ground does not change that much in temperature from season to season. If you in the southern 48 states no way your frost line gets lower than five feet. If the ground is above zero that heat can be extracted. My neighbours had a heat pump. Our temperatures consistently hit -40 degrees and they had no problem. Look at Scandinavian countries where it gets really really cold. They have been running heat pumps forever. If your monthly heating bill hit $500 dollars a month guaranteed you'd have a heat pump installed.