Questions installing a Westfalia hitch B5.5 Passat TDI

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Greetings all, I am trying to install a westfalia hitch and was looking at a couple threads here and read the almost "text only" and semi vague instructions. So I figured it would be best to check with those who have already installed one before I mess something up.

I am at the part where I actually bolt in the hitch via premade holes in the "boot" (trunk).

The hitch was bought used, and I acquired 6 new bolts based on this thread http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/209445-westfalia-hitch-done.html
Which has a few pictures.

So, there are 4 holes/bolts that held in the original bumper. The 5 and 6 holes are factory unused and are further back represented by the black circle sticker in the picture below.
So if you had a top down view and the car is facing --> the bolt pattern is as follows

1 3 5

2 4 6

(insert picture not working so I am posting a link)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/b5_leadfoot/Westfalia/09-STOCKBOLTREMOVAL.jpg

The above 4 motion kit apparently uses all 6, whereas mine only uses 4 as that is what the instructions state.

The instructions appear to use slots 1, 2 and 5, 6 only for the non 4 motion installation.

Bolts 1-4 screw into threads already present. 5 and 6 have a kit-provided plate that they screw into, but when putting the bolts in those holes they hit something spongy and don't go through (just foam?)

Do I just force it through that and see where they come out underneath? It looks like they may be underneath additional covers that I may have to remove to see where they come through. But I was under the impression that no muffler covers/heat shields needed to be removed for the install from previous threads?

What is normally used to "secure the plates to keep them from rotating" when screwing in the bolts?

Since I have 6 bolts, does it hurt to just install all six?

And out of curiosity, why do I need to use bolt holes 5,6 if there are only 4 bolts installed? I know the instructions say to use those, so I will, but am wondering what the difference is using 5,6 vs 3,4?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Hi Spring1898.

There is only 4 places to put the bolts. I'm not sure what the "spongy" stuff is you're referring to. If I can find my install instructions I'll PDF them for you but I found it very straight forward. Removing the shock bumpers, slide in the hitch, lining up the 4 bolts, torque to spec and you're golden...

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I am also jealous you got one of those hitches! I am keeping my eye out. Google the hitch for a UK seller. I forget the name of it but the biggest UK seller has install intructions on its website... and a cost to get one of those hitches to Canada of over $1000!

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Yes let me know
There are 6 holes but 2 are covered with stickers you can see them in the picture.
Given that I received the nut/plate attachments for those I figured those were the holes i had to use, and the instructions specifically mention them and the picture in the instructions seem to show those slots being used.

I will check with one of european resellers.
I managed to get mine for $350 shipped from a guy whoze passat was wrecked on the front end. It was a pretty good deal to say the least.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
The westfalia hitches aren't that much anymore. I bought from a UK supplier for 230 pounds. I noticed they're on sale now for 193 pounds. All in with shipping it was less than $500. Well worth it for the 2400lb camper we tow with.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
The westfalia hitches aren't that much anymore. I bought from a UK supplier for 230 pounds. I noticed they're on sale now for 193 pounds. All in with shipping it was less than $500. Well worth it for the 2400lb camper we tow with.
What vendor did you use?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I priced it out at PFJones but ended up purchasing through Frans @ Dutch Auto Parts. It was a bit cheaper from PF Jones but Frans treated me so well I wanted to support him.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I priced it out at PFJones but ended up purchasing through Frans @ Dutch Auto Parts. It was a bit cheaper from PF Jones but Frans treated me so well I wanted to support him.
Ya, that is way cheaper than it was. Came out to $590 Canadian shipped. Plus duty I bet it will still be ~$700.

Still beats ordering from eurohitches in the US that want $565US plus a lot of shipping...

Still a very pricey option but the only hitch type I would use

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
For those using the Westfalia hitch, what do you do about safety chains (I.e., the lack of attachment points for the chains). I highly DOT rules require the chains...

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a place to hook safety chains on the fixed Westfalia hitch right underneath the gooseneck. I wish I could post pics...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
There is a place to hook safety chains on the fixed Westfalia hitch right underneath the gooseneck. I wish I could post pics...
I was reading on one site that said the Westfalia did not have safety chain attachment points. Could that have meant there were no points on the hitch assembly itself, but there are on the gooseneck (a separate piece)?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I was reading on one site that said the Westfalia did not have safety chain attachment points. Could that have meant there were no points on the hitch assembly itself, but there are on the gooseneck (a separate piece)?
Sorry Sailor1898.

I don't want to threadjack...owr084 send me a pm with your email and I can email you a pic of my hitch setup and where the chains can mount. I haven't found a fast way of posting pics on the forum. My one fs ad took me half an hour to post. :S

I'm still looking for my install instructions for Sailor1898. Is your hitch with the removable gooseneck or the fixed version?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
Blujett, do you have the fixed or the removable hitch?

Frans is selling these hitches for a more decent price but he mentions either the detachable version or the "2 bolt" version. 2 bolt is WAY cheaper and I don't think I really need detachable....

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
Blujett, do you have the fixed or the removable hitch?

Frans is selling these hitches for a more decent price but he mentions either the detachable version or the "2 bolt" version. 2 bolt is WAY cheaper and I don't think I really need detachable....
I went with the "2 bolt" version. You can use the lower holes to hook your chains onto so it works awesome. I figured I would probably never remove the gooseneck and yes the price was MUCH more reasonable for the fixed gooseneck. You won't regret it. That hitch is one SOLID unit! :)

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have a link to Fran's trailer hitch ? I searched the forum and Google. I did find this
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_Volkswagen_Passat.htm?style=Wagon+-+except+4Motion

125.00. Not bad but only 2000 lbs
IMO, those hitches are only good for a small bike rack and maybe that. I had a hidden hitch on my Jetta and those bikes would sway going over bumps and railroad tracks! I wouldn't trust towing ANYTHING with it. The Westfalia Euro hitches actually mount into the "frame rails" of the car making the most solid hitch connection you can buy. They are rated for 4400lbs @ 180lb tongue weight. The way a hitch is supposed to be. If you're towing a good sized utility trailer with any weight at all or a camper there's NO other option but the Westy. Spendy, yes, but worth it's weight in peace of mind.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to just email Frans at info@dutchautoparts.com

You will still pay a lot more than that for a proper euro hitch but I would not install anything else personally...

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I keep wanting to order the bosal from Frans, but unsure if it will clear my Votex lower valence.

MisterMo

The Westfalia Euro hitches actually mount into the "frame rails" of the car making the most solid hitch connection you can buy. They are rated for 4400lbs @ 180lb tongue weight. The way a hitch is supposed to be. If you're towing a good sized utility trailer with any weight at all or a camper there's NO other option but the Westy. Spendy, yes, but worth it's weight in peace of mind.
Can the Westy hitches accept a 1 1/4" bike rack? ie. how does a bike rack work with the Westfalia hitch? Thx.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
Can the Westy hitches accept a 1 1/4" bike rack? ie. how does a bike rack work with the Westfalia hitch? Thx.
It will not work with a receiver style bike rack. With the "permanently" fixed gooseneck there is no place to attach it. With the removable gooseneck version they have a 2" adapter.

pyroman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
I also want to install the Westy hitch on my car. After reading several threads, it seems like the best option, especially since I want to tow a 1 ton GVW camper.

Whats the best choice for ordering these, PFJones? I saw a thread on a group buy, but that was already over and the second round never really took off.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I would order from Frans @ Dutch Auto Parts. He sells a lot through this forum and is awesome do deal with.

pyroman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
brake contoller

I have searched quite a bit through this site a couple of others but can't find any solid information on brake controllers. Is there any sort of factory wiring in these cars to be used with a controller or is it DIY? I don't expect the same type of footwell connector as in my former Touareg, but will the Passat "electronics" support a brake controller?

I plan on using the Tecumseh Prodigy that I already have.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I have searched quite a bit through this site a couple of others but can't find any solid information on brake controllers. Is there any sort of factory wiring in these cars to be used with a controller or is it DIY? I don't expect the same type of footwell connector as in my former Touareg, but will the Passat "electronics" support a brake controller?

I plan on using the Tecumseh Prodigy that I already have.
You can buy a trailer wiring kit from eTrailer for the lights but there is no connector that I'm aware of for trailer brakes. We ended up wiring in a Prodigy P3 in the lower left cubby and it works/looks awesome. We spliced in the brake controller in the back of the car with the 4pin trailer connector to make it a full 7pin.

pyroman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
You can buy a trailer wiring kit from eTrailer for the lights but there is no connector that I'm aware of for trailer brakes. We ended up wiring in a Prodigy P3 in the lower left cubby and it works/looks awesome. We spliced in the brake controller in the back of the car with the 4pin trailer connector to make it a full 7pin.
Can you expand on how the controller is wired to the car? I understand the signals going out to the trailer connector for lights/brakes/etc., but where do you tap into the signals going into the controller?

Any info would be helpful, or if this has been detailed in a thread somewhere that I haven't come across yet, let me know...

Thanks.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I tapped into one of the tail lights to add a 4 pin harness to my brother's Jetta.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Can you expand on how the controller is wired to the car? I understand the signals going out to the trailer connector for lights/brakes/etc., but where do you tap into the signals going into the controller?

Any info would be helpful, or if this has been detailed in a thread somewhere that I haven't come across yet, let me know...

Thanks.
The input to a brake controller is +12V, Ground and the brake light switch output. The controller output is power to the electric brakes. You want the controller at the driver's seat to be able to adjust the gain.
The trailer light converter is to combine turn and brake lights (separate on the VW) to a single output, which is what most North American trailers are. This item can be tucked away near the tail lights.